Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Well I have 12.5 hours into this project already... :D (Just looking at your work and your sources.) I have orders in to all of the vendors and even made my building surface covered in graph paper. . My dragster purchase is next on ebay...So far....it's just me... :unsure:

I'm one that will be sad when your frame is in primer. It hides all of the work you put in to the project. All of those new frame parts and zeus tabs and rear end mods will dissappear. Good news for me, is the countless (100+?)of hours I'll save by learning from your project what worked and didn't work !

I swear last night I fell asleep online. Finally got up and went to bed. Laid down and my mind took off on a step-by-step process needed to make the front axle :wacko:. Are we creative types... boderline bi-polar people? :huh:

Only twelve and a half?? That's all? :) Jack, welcome to the Vega FC (funny car) FC (fan club). Guess we could call this FC2. This is such an outstanding build and I for one have totally enjoyed looking over Chris' shoulder as he works. He has such an eye for detail and how all of the components work that this whole thread, all 44 pages of it, is one large tutorial. Glad I'm sitting in the front row and have even had the opportunity to see it in person many pages ago.

Edited by gasser59

Jack... I hope you are able to win the bid on the 1/16th scale car. They are sure fun to build and you will get hooked once you build one. I really look forward to seeing this project you have started. As of right now I have 337 Hours into this build. I am actually really excited to hopefully get primer on this soon but I still have a few couple minor detals and brackets I need to add to the chassis. I am hoping that I will be able to do a little work on it this week. I wasn't able to get any bench time at all last week due to work and having family in town this weekend. I would say that we are very creative types and nothing wrong with that at all. I have to tell you that I have been thinking about making a front axle out of brass as well, it won't be fore this project but I guess I could try and mess with one for it...lol but its something I have been thinking about for an Injected front engine dragster that I want to build soon.

Brad... Thanks for all of the kind words bud. Hopefully we can touch base and get together soon so you can see it a little farther along. I also need to get you that paint.

Bob... I am not sure how an easy way to filter out just the pictures but I could give you the link to my photobucket where they all are kept. I know that Gregg did a thing on one of John Teresi's builds and made a link where you were able to go through all of pictures. But I can't remember which build of his it was done on. It was pretty cool 

Derrik... Thanks buddy. I am sure hoping it will be a show stopper ;)

Dave.... Thanks for the kind words and for following along with everyone. Hoping I can get more progess pics for you guys soon

Dave... You are the man when it come to drag racing stuff. Thank you for the help that you have provided me with for some of the stuff for this build. I may have some more questions for you down the road

Jack... the locations of the Dzus fastener you will be able to see in the cockpit area and my plan is to bend wire for the spring clip and add it to the back of the Dzus fastener moutning plate for that detail. Not sure if you know exactly what I mean. I could find a pic to show you if you'd like. I have never used a disposable baking pan but my guess is that it would kind of be close but I would think the disposable baking pan would be just a tad bit of a softer material. I don't see why you couldn't use that. Heck I have cut a beer can up and used it for the aluminum before :lol:

Guys.... I am sorry I haven't had any new updates to show lately. I have been really swamped and stressed with work and in dire need of getting back to building this to help get rid of some of the stress. I am sure I will be having another stressful week but hoping to find a little time to get to the bench. I appreciate you all being patient with me and following along.

Edited by Mooneyzs

I did win the Ebay auction! (If some here saw it, thanks for not bidding!) The typical 9"x 10" brownie pan offers alot of high quality aluminum with a nice grain. Easy to trim with a knife and ruler. Offered as an alternative cheap source to all. Not suggesting you need to use it somewhere. I 've installed dzus fasteners and other types on real cars. I was lucky enough to work at Gunnar Porsche Racing for 5 years. It's a part time race team and full time restoration shop for Porsche prototypes. Maybe some small rivets sticking though the tabs wrapped with a strand of conductor from a piece of wire? Or do you plan on making them function too?

Jim... Thanks man.

Jack... That is great to hear you won the ebay auction. Let the fun begin :D ... mind if I ask which kit you got? I may have to pick up one of those 9" x 10" brownie pans to just try sometime. Thats awesome that you used to work on race cars. Man that would be my dream job. yea I was planning on having some sort of wire or rod sticking thru the Duzs fastener tab and then I would use some thing gage wire forming it into the spring clip shape and then it would be placed over the simulated rivets and Dzus fastener tab. Then I have some simulated bolts that look like the heads of the Dzus fastener it self that will be on the chassis tin. I wasn't planning on making them functional, It would be sweet if i could but they are so dang small...lol

Chris I bought the Prudhomme F/E dragster due to it's lack of rear bodywork. Because I want to make some kind of comp coupe, I didn't want to deal with possible problems surrounding the rollbar area. I've been studying the decals for 1/16th cars. I would like to call the car, "Time Warp" indicating the visual pull between old school and present day nostalgic class racing. Kinda early to worry about that....but everything gets planned right down to the paint.

Then I have some simulated bolts that look like the heads of the Dzus fastener it self that will be on the chassis tin. I wasn't planning on making them functional, It would be sweet if i could but they are so dang small...lol

Oh Come on Chris, I thought I talked you into making them functional! you are no fun at all... :lol::rolleyes:

Jack... that is awesome to hear about the Prudhomme dragster. I really look forward to seeing this rail come together. sounds like a great project bringing stuff from old school and present day nostalgia. I do want to ask you how the decals from the Prudhomme kit are. I started my 1/16th FED that is in progress from that car but the decals weren't in the best shape, they started yellowing. Not sure if you had plans to use them down the road or not but if you are interested in selling them or trading them and they are in good condition I would be interested in them.

Scott... thanks man

Bart.... well you know I should since I have seen what you have done on your Pro Mod.... I really need to step up my game here huh ;):lol:

Vince.... Hopefully soon you will get to see it as a roller. Heck I wanna see it as a roller too. :lol: actually I just want to see some primer on it lol

• 2 weeks later...

Chris.......it was nice meet you and your friends yesterday at the NNL West......and I just want to let the folks here at MCM know that I saw this build in progress and some other of his builds ........and they are truly incredible ......Chris thank you for making the trip to the NNL and sharing your AWESOME builds with us.

Jack... that is awesome to hear about the Prudhomme dragster. I really look forward to seeing this rail come together. sounds like a great project bringing stuff from old school and present day nostalgia. I do want to ask you how the decals from the Prudhomme kit are. I started my 1/16th FED that is in progress from that car but the decals weren't in the best shape, they started yellowing. Not sure if you had plans to use them down the road or not but if you are interested in selling them or trading them and they are in good condition I would be interested in them.

Scott... thanks man

Bart.... well you know I should since I have seen what you have done on your Pro Mod.... I really need to step up my game here huh ;):lol:

Vince.... Hopefully soon you will get to see it as a roller. Heck I wanna see it as a roller too. :lol: actually I just want to see some primer on it lol

My decals are in perfect shape and your welcome to them. The blue isn't very bold, but that's just the color they were printed. I have alot of 1/16 stuff now and have been playing all last week. Still waiting for engines. I haven't bothered starting a new thread, just adding some shots to my comp coupe thread. This weekend I spent a good 24 hours trying to make a Sonny-type motor. Honestly....all of these PROMOD builds have shifted my desires! How can one not be inspired? This is one tubeframe-building group here.

Hey Chris I just went through the whole build again so I can get cauht up and man I must say i cant wait to see this in person. You have gone over and beyond what you first set out to do. And its a Job well done my friend keep up the outstanding work! Romell

Chris.......it was nice meet you and your friends yesterday at the NNL West......and I just want to let the folks here at MCM know that I saw this build in progress and some other of his builds ........and they are truly incredible ......Chris thank you for making the trip to the NNL and sharing your AWESOME builds with us.

John.... It was a pleasure to finally get to meet you and talk to you for a bit at the NNL West this past weekend. You are a very down to earth and great guy. Your builds are even more amazing in person. I could look at them for hours with all the detail you incorporate into them. I am looking forward to seeing you at the Arizona Desert Scale Classic this year and spending more time talking with you. Your builds are inspiring and you definetly set the bar in my opinion. I am striving to be a great builder like you.

Thank you for the Kind words about my builds. I am definetly excited to get back to doing work on my funny car and make more progess with it when I get back home later this week.

My decals are in perfect shape and your welcome to them. The blue isn't very bold, but that's just the color they were printed. I have alot of 1/16 stuff now and have been playing all last week. Still waiting for engines. I haven't bothered starting a new thread, just adding some shots to my comp coupe thread. This weekend I spent a good 24 hours trying to make a Sonny-type motor. Honestly....all of these PROMOD builds have shifted my desires! How can one not be inspired? This is one tubeframe-building group here.

Jack.... that is awesome to hear that you have alot of 1/16th scale stuff. you will have a blast with it for sure. Right now I am on a 1/16th scale kick and its all I am wanting to build at the moment. You are right with all of these pro mod builds on here, they are definitely and inspiration and its making me itch into jumping into my pro mod build that I am planning but I have a couple builds I want to do before them. I would be more than happy to take those decals off your hands if you wouldn't mind. Let me know what you want for them I have alot of 1/16th scale stuff if you need something I would be willing to trade you something for the decals.

Hey Chris I just went through the whole build again so I can get cauht up and man I must say i cant wait to see this in person. You have gone over and beyond what you first set out to do. And its a Job well done my friend keep up the outstanding work! Romell

Rom.... Thanks for taking the time to catch up on this build and for the kind words. After being at the NNL's this past weekend it has given me that motivation to get back on to this build and make some great progress and finish up the chassis work I need to so I can move onto the engine details.

Chris,

Great to meet you at the show. Your model is outstanding. Your dragster was very nice along with the other models you brought.

Can't wait to see more.

bobthehobbyguy

Bob it was an absolute pleasure to meet you at the NNL West this past weekend. Thank you for the kind words on my builds and coming up and introducing yourself to me. I am looking forward to making more progress and sharing with everyone. so stay tuned and when I get back home I will be jumping back on this build and posting pics.

Paul it was great to hang out with you, your dad and Kevin. Had a great time wth you guys. I Am already looking forward to next years NNL. Thanks for the compliments on my work. I have learned alot of my paint skills from you and your dad. love your guys builds as well.