Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Hey Chris, I echo everyone's sentiment's regarding your new job mate, congrats. :)

They were some mighty big hours you were pulling there.....I struggle @ 40/week these days..... :lol: Trust it all goes well for you man. B)

Looking towards some more great work soon. B)

Hey Greg... Thanks mate! It's easy to get burnt out after all of those hours that's for sure. I am pretty stoked about going back to pretty much 40 hours a week. I will be sitting down at the bench and working on this build today. I am pumped to be getting in some time on this build. I should have some updates later for everyone.

Richard... Thank you!

Danno.... Thanks buddy. Now you will be seeing more of this build come together since i will have more time on my hands.

Well little update for all of you. I have received a few parts from Jim aka Micro Nitro as well as a few items from TDR. I have been working on a few things this afternoon trying to tie up loose ends on whats left of the chassis refab work and got almost all of it done but let me show you where its at as of right now.

First off here are some pulleys that I have drawn up in SolidWorks and send to Jim to machine in hopes that there will be others out there that would want some turned aluminum pulleys:

2v2uJyeDDxAhe9C.jpg

I also drew up some fuel distribution blocks which I also had Jim machine for me and picked up the Lenco tranny parts from TDR/shapeways:

2v2uJyeqSxAhe9C.jpg

I added the oil blow off tubes to the front of the chassis and well I needed an exit point for them to dump into the puke tank and I located them on the back side of the roll cage:

2v2uJyezVxAhe9C.jpg

I got the steering rod guide bracket made and glued in place:

2v2uJyZuTxAhe9C.jpg

I also got a mount plate glued to the chassis for the brake handle lever to mount too:

2v2uJyZ1SxAhe9C.jpg

I still have to add the steering gear box mount tab to the driver area of the chassis and figure out how I want the gas pedal mounting area/tabs to be and were to locate them. trying to get them done tonight as well. Time for a dinner break and will be back at it in a bit.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Rom! yep I will be using a lenco on this build. It is a 2 speed tranny with using the front section and the reversing unit. I was hoping to have the pulley's done sooner but some details I over looked needed to be worked out first. there is one more little tweak and I think they will be perfect.

Thanks Rom! yep I will be using a lenco on this build. It is a 2 speed tranny with using the front section and the reversing unit.

The reason I asked Chris is with all the work you have involved in being technically correct , Im not sure the lenco you have is period correct. meaning the one we can buy from TDR is a more modern version of the lenco, the lenco i've seen from the 70's is different, and doesnt use airshifters, it uses levers. Now i could be wrong but double check before you drop that tranny in. In any case keep up the outstanding work!

Dave... Thanks Bud. I also wanted to ask of this era do you happen to know the different styles of gas pedals that were used? I am trying to figure out what the best way to do it is and since none of my reference pics show it, I am sorta taking a guess at it.

Charlie... Thanks man. I think I am at the point I could build frames in my sleep..... instead of counting sheep, I count frames....haha :lol:

Rom... The lenco tranny from TDR can be build as an air shifter or a manual with levers and it will be done up with the levers ;)

Jeff.... thanks for checking in man

Derrick... thanks buddy. Hows that Pro Mod of yours coming along. I have missed seeing progress on it.

I am hoping to get some build time in this weekend and will update with pics when I can. And next week I start my new job which means I will have alot of build time during the week now :D so stay tuned

The reason I asked Chris is with all the work you have involved in being technically correct , Im not sure the lenco you have is period correct. meaning the one we can buy from TDR is a more modern version of the lenco, the lenco i've seen from the 70's is different, and doesnt use airshifters, it uses levers. Now i could be wrong but double check before you drop that tranny in. In any case keep up the outstanding work!

I had no idea they used a Lenco, huh, allways asumed they were high gear only with a reverse, learn something new everyday, I'm ready to see some primer on this bad boy!! Edited by vintagedragfan

Art... Thanks buddy!! Actually today is my last day of my current job. I start the new job on Monday. I wish I had a week in between but its ok since I won't miss a week of pay :) . I need to give you a call when I get some time.

Bill... I can't tell you how bad I want to see primer on this as well :lol: . I have what I think are just a few more things I need to do on the chassis. the first being getting the gas pedal mount tubes/tabs and the mounting tabs/tubes for the steering gear box. Seems I have had a little bit of a builders block on how I want to do it since I haven't been able to find and reference pics.

I quit the hobby before internet was popular, or even used much for that matter, it would take a day or two to download 1 song lol. To be able to watch someone go through a build such as his, to be able to catalogue their tips and tricks and share ideas with others is such a great thing for the hobby in general.

Keep up the great work, I have been thrilled to follow this build.

Chris- I'm a new member after reading this thread. Phenomenal build as they've all said. Can't wait to see more. Years ago I built the Bruce Larson Olds FC and considered giving it to him since his barn full of cars is nearby, until I saw how many people had given him one. Ha. BUT, if Prudhomme ever sees your car, he'll want it.