Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Thanks guys!! it feels good to almost have this tank done. I am really pleased with how it turned out. I think the more I have looked at it the more I have liked it. Just trying to figure out how to completely mount it since from my reference pick I can only see one mounting tab up top and not sure if there is one or two on the bottom side. I may just have to go with what I think looks best.

Hi! Chris,

Nice work buddy!

If I may, I think a two-bolt tab on each end of the tank on top of the frame rail. That would have been easy for the crew to access for maintenance. There would be threaded bungs in the frame rail, not bolted thru the frame rail.

Keep up the awesome work! I can't wait to see this build in person!

Have A Great Day!

Hey Guys Thanks for the kind words and advice. Here is the reference picture that I have been going by. I edited one so you could see the one tab a little better. But I do have to agree with you Keith that it would of had to of been easy access to remove for maintenance. So this pic is the only real reference I have been going by. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Original Pic:

2v2HYFig3xAhe9C.jpg

Edited Pic to see puke take mount better:

2v2HYFiCoxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hi! Chris,

Let me say that artistic license must be used when lack of accurate research material is available. Assumptions and speculations must be made. Which you have done very well in my opinion.

These are my observations. Thanks for the enhanced pic.

The first thing I saw was no hoses to the tank are visible. I see the one mounting tab and breather. No screw on cap.

This led me to look back at some of your reference and build pics. I see that the breather tubes go into the bottom rail of the frame ahead of the engine. You have done this in the build, but at the back of the frame you have the breather lines exiting the top rail of the frame behind the roll cage. This would indicate that the top and bottom rails are open to each other. Possible, but not likely.

This takes me back to the puke tank at the rear of the frame. My thought/speculation is that the hoses to the puke tank come from the open end of the bottom frame rail up to the puke tank. Which would explain why they are not visible in the pic. With the size of the hoses used the puke tank probably just hangs from that small crossmember by just the one tab and supported by the large size of the hose. The tank also appears to be small, not going the full width of the frame.

PLEASE know that this is a Fantastic build, and this, by no means is a criticism. They are just my observations and thoughts. I'm REALLY anxious to see this build in person. You're doing a Great job!!!

I went looking for some better pics this morning and found these two videos you might like. The first one (filmed by Prudhomme himself) shows some details I was not aware of. Particularly the roof hatch. Checfk them out, hope you like them.

Have A Great Day!!!

Some great video Keith,didn't know it was a "short"wheel-base car, 119" eh, always thought that the 'Cuda was the first Army car, I know that he had the "Cuda,Vega,Monza & the Arrow, but could have sworn that the '73-'74 'Cuda (after the Carefree sponsorship) was the very first Army car.

Keith.... Those are some Killer videos man. Thank you so much for sharing them on here. Love seeing both of them and love the sound of the Vega when it leans out and shuts off. And no worries what so ever, I never once thought it was criticism by any means. And I was asking the question on it and wanted peoples honest opinion because I want to build this the best I possibly can. I made a total assumption on how the puke tank was plummed and what it really looked like since the view I had was what you seen above. I did notice on another one of Don's Cars I believe it was his Cuda car had the puke tank with the exits for the tubes from the chassis where i have them. I just thought that's how they might be since there were other cars I found like that in that era. But I have to agree with you that in the "enhanced" pic you can't see any hoses coming into the tank as well as the lines off the engine go to the lower chassis tubes versus the top like most.

I am looking forward to chatting with at the Desert Scale Classic. thanks again for posting the videos I know I will be going back many times to watch them. now I know what i will have to do for the roof hatch. I am seriously thinking of writing Snake racing and seeing if there is any way to get pics with a body off a to possibly see some of the details. I am going to have to find a contact on there and from what i have looked at and found so far is just an email to order things but I figured it is worth a shot. The worst they can say is No.

Chris... I'm glad you liked the vids. As for a contact at Snake Racing, you should ask the folks in the Facebook group "Dedicated to Saving the Hobby of Building Drag Racing Models in 1/16 Scale". Whew, that's a long name! :o I'm in that group, you're in that group, there's lots of knowledgable people there. You never know who might have an answer for you. Ask 'em! :)

Have A Great Day!!!

p.s. I've put the K & O rear-engine digger away for a while, until I improve my skill set some more. I want to do the justice to that model it deserves. No worries though... I'm still building models, honing my skills, and learning from you all. ;)

Bill... It would be awesome if you were able to be there. would love to meet you and see your builds in person. Especially the California Charger.... she is a beauty!

Keith.... You know I may have to take that advice and try that. I am also on Snakes racing page on Facebook and may try there as well Its a great idea you had. Nothing wrong with putting a build on hold for a while and waiting until you are ready. Glad to hear you are still building models. Its awesome how much you can learn from other people here. we have a great group and many talented builders.

Well everyone ..... I have sorta had modelers block the past few days and haven't been able to work on this build. I am still a little stuck as to how I want to mount this puke tank and all. I am so close to having the chassis buttoned up that I am letting this keep me from it at the moment. I am hoping to work on it tomorrow. I am sure everyone was hoping for some updates. Hopefully I will have something tomorrow for you. Thanks for following along.

Thanks Greg!! I am sure I will get over this little hump in a day or so... Then I will be trucking along again. I can't wait to get back to the engine details. :)

Ya know Chris that might be exactly what you need to do at this point. Sometimes we can work on something so long that we get burnt out on it. At that point we need to set it down and step away from it and work on something eles so the creative juices start flowing again. I say go work on that motor do something that you have an urging for and you can get back to the chassis later. It'll still be there, it aint goin no where. B)

That's very true, guys. If you spend so much time on it, it's not hard to look right past something that isn't right. Been there done that. When I sent my 1/25th Fairmont master to Ed to get it molded and cast, I had totally overlooked something on the headlight/grille panel that was so obvious I was embarrassed when Ed pointed it out to me. Oh well... :rolleyes:

Scott... You are right about spending so much time on something and how its hard not to look past something. This is the only build I have been focusing on for the past year. I know once I get this chassis to where I wanted it, which it is really close that the build should pick up and move pretty well I think. Sometimes I wonder if I should start another build but I don't want to in a way since i am so focused on this one. although I can't wait to start working on some of my other planned builds I have been wanting to do. I do have a 1/16th FED that is really close to being done that I may spend some time in the next few weeks to complete it because I really want to have it done for the Desert Scale Classic in about 3 weeks, although it will only be able to be there for show since it got an award with it being under construction last year. guess I should of had it on the under construction table instead... guess that's what I get for not knowing :wacko::lol:

Well I have been meaning to sit at the bench and work on this build but I have been having ideas of how I am going to mount this puke tank and think I may of found some what of a solution that will work. so I am kind of stoked. will try to do a little work here in a few. so no update on this post. but I do have a couple pics to show you what I have gotten in the mail this week.....

First I got a nice order from Jim at Micro Nitro.... Pretty much all of these goodies are for my 1/16th scale Pro Mod build I am planning other than the rims in the upper right hand which are for a 1/16th scale Injected FED:

Picture126-1.jpg

Here is an up close pic of the wheels for the Injected FED, Jim actually blew my mind with these. I was really thinking of going with the Ansen's and Jim told me that he had another wheel he was working that was pretty cool. I am glad I went with these because they are pretty sweet rims. Jim was right and he is the man!

Picture132-1.jpg

I also got a few goodies from Dirt Modeler this week too, I couldn't pass up the 1/16th scale stuff :lol::

Picture122-1.jpg