Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott...Thanks man. I have been pushing myself to buikd better. When this kit is done it will be the best I have done to date with this level of detail and the most I have ever spent on a build.

John... Thanks bud!! Was hoping to have a lot more done by the Desert Scale Classic. but its ok I don't wabt to rush it. I did want to make progress with the engine but not sure if I will be able to in time. we will see what I can accomplish between now and the show.

Clay... You are totally right about being tired of tabs and brackets lol. I can't wait to jump back onto the engine. As you mentioned all of the hard work will pay off in the end. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Danno... Thanks buddy

Joe.. Thanks man. it felt good to finally button up the little detail on the puke tank and brackets for it last night.

Rom... Thanks buddy! I think you are right about needing to get some paint ob this bad boy. I promise that I will have the chassis in primer before the show next week. I started thinking this morning what all I need to finish up andI remember I need to add two more tabs for the motor plate to bolt too. As well as I need to cut off the bolt heads on the front axle set up that mounts to the chassis. then drill and tap the chassia for the bolts I will be using instead. Other than that I just need to add a little bondo in a few spots and she is ready for primer.

Mike... Thanks man feels great to be working on it again. I can't waitto getoff work so I can go home and work on this :)

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Jack.... For following along and watching this build come together.

I got the lower two mount brackets done for the mid plate last night. now just a few more odds and ends of clean up and it can finially see some primer. I have been waiting for that day for a while now.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Scott... Looks like tomorrow (Saturday) will be the day that primer will get shot on it ;) all I have to do is drill some holes in the front axle set up and remove the molded in bolt head and drill for a scale hardware bolt.

Greg... Thanks Mate! It has been fun but I can't wait to move on to the next portion of this build. I have had enough fun with the chassis so far... :lol:

Bill... thanks man. The chassis is pretty much done now ;)

Ok so a little update for the night.... I sad down and did a little more work last night and tonight, pretty much have the chassis where I want it before I shoot my initial primer coat. I got the last tabs that I could thing of made and glued on which were for the motor mid-plate lower mounting points. Then I cleaned up the chassis a little bit and added some bondo to fill a few little spots. now all I need to do is drill and tap holes in the chassis where the front axle assembly attaches. then its Primer time!! here are a few pics for ya....

Here are the Lower Motor Mid-Plate mounts I added to the chassis:

2v2uJyBvGxAhe9C.jpg

Then it was time to lay some bondo on the chassis, just showing the brackets that the rear end mounts up to:

2v2uJyBagxAhe9C.jpg

The Other side:

2v2uJyBpCxAhe9C.jpg

Here it is after being sanded down:

2v2uJyB6qxAhe9C.jpg

The Other side:

2v2uJyBkGxAhe9C.jpg

Stay tuned... will have more updates tomorrow :)

Edited by Mooneyzs

So I have been working on this today and have a little treat for you. I have got the chassis where I am happy with it but for some reason I think I will have to add a few more tabs lol :lol: . I was able to button up the front end axle mounts. I ended up cutting the molded in bolts and tapped and threaded a bolt in. Looks way better now. I mocked up this build one last time before I shoot some primer on the chassis. Here are a few pics of what I did as well as some mock-ups. This will be the last time you see the chassis in bare plastic ;)B) .

I started out the build session earlier by drilling and tapping the Axle mounts:

2v2uJyBSLxAhe9C.jpg

I then had to mount up the pieces on the front end to see how it looked. Way better now!:

2v2uJyBWFxAhe9C.jpg

Now for some various mock up shots to share with all of you one last time before Primer:

2v2uJy64CxAhe9C.jpg

Other side of the car:

2v2uJy6ENxAhe9C.jpg

Front View:

2v2uJy63nxAhe9C.jpg

Rear View:

2v2uJytmWxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris.....buddy..pal..................maaaaaaate, I only got 1 thing to say to you.................

You have my mailing address now. :D

Mate, take a well earned break, straight after you primer it of course. ;)

That is the closest thing to real, I have ever seen. B) FANtabulous work on a rolling piece of ART !

Man Chris, this is just AMAZING... to see this much work into the frame and you are just about to shoot it with some primer. You have already heard this from us, but what a shame to hit it with paint now. LOL I hope the details pop even more once you have the paint on it.

What an accomplishment to get this project this far and finally be out of the woods with Tabs and more Tabs! :D

Richard.... Thank you man, I am excited about the primer....Oh yeah!

Bob... Thank you. Looking forward to moving on to more of this build and I will have this one finished for sure for next years NNL West ;)

Jason... Thank you for the kind word bro and for following along. It should get even better now that I am going to be jumping back to the engine.

Kane... Thanks man!!

Joe.... Thanks Bud!! Its a shame that I have to cover this all up with primer but I have to say that I am glad too since it means I am making progress B)

Danno... This will be with me on saturday... ;)

Greg... Thanks Mate for the kind words.... got your PM and I will get that stuff out Monday for ya.

Tyrone.... You are right Bro, It is sure paying off and I can't tell you how pleased I am with it so far. So glad I went back and made all of those changes that I did. Totally worth it.

Scott...Thanks man... totally appreciate it.

Bart.... Thanks Buddy!! yeah its a shame to cover up all of this work but I think everyone will have to agree it's about time I get some primer on it. I am thinking that the details will stand out... oh you are gonna laugh at what I am about to post with your tabs comment...lol :lol: :lol:

So I ran into a little speed bump tonight and didn't actually get to shoot the primer like I was wanting to. I was tearing down the car to be able to primer it and I realized that I left some more tabs off this and figured that I better add them before I shoot the primer. So it puts the primer one day behind :P . I have been working on the tabs and got them done and glued in place. So first thing I will do tomorrow on this is shoot my primer. Sorry to delay and keep you guys hanging for one more day but Promise some primer pics tomorrow.

Here are the Tabs that I missed for the 2 piece plate that will go around the drive line:

2v2uJyYY7xAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Aw Chris, that's a shame man...getting all this way, then finding you missed a couple of tabs..... :( As penance you should go back in and add another 10.......somewhere. :lol: Jus' kiddin' man. ;)

Another day til primer, that's kool man, better you noticed now than during final assembly. :mellow::)