Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Brad... thank you bud it is getting very close to having primer on it but I have realized that I need to add a few more things before like the mounting tab for the break handle, the mounting tab point the gas pedal and two tabs for the steering linkage, as well as the oil catch tubes that are supposed to mount right into the chassis frame.

Art... you are right I can't wait to get to the wiring and plumbing of the engine. I already have a big smile knowing that I am almost done with the chassis refab and how happy I am that I went thru all the work. I also can't wait to see the engine come to life as well.

Aaron... thank you so much for the kind words. Its appreciated and glad to hear that you are enjoying it. As you mentioned I have had a lot of patience with this build...lol

Well everyone I just got home from work and its time to hit the workbench and get back to some build time. Stay tuned and I will have updates for you.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Edgar... thank you man for the nice words and for following along.

Well as promised a little later than expected but I did sit at the bench for a few hours and worked on the Chassis Tin work and made a good accomplishment and that much closer to having the refab done.

I started out by getting the templates made out of plastic, one for each side:

2v2uJyHiSxAhe9C.jpg

I then started making pieces out of aluminum printing plate and as you can see I made a bunch since I wasn't totally happy with some of them and kept starting back over :lol: :

2v2uJyHYkxAhe9C.jpg

After making a few of them here are the two that I was happy with although, I am considering redoing the top one yet again because I have a couple of dimples that I am not happy with. i was considering seeing if I took a little bondo to them and sanded down that you may not see them. but its easy enough to make another. but was tired for the night and decided to wait til tomorrow:

2v2uJyHWhxAhe9C.jpg

I had to then hold it up against the chassis making sure it all looked good and lined up.... it passed the test;) :

2v2uJyaJgxAhe9C.jpg

Here I just stuck both pieces next to the chassis:

2v2uJyHrhxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Aaron.... I took the material and layed to down on a somewhat hard rubber peice and I used a ball point pen to make the bead rolls using the rubber piece as a backing. I did practice on some prior to doing it but I did a little at a time. applying pressure then applying a little more. When it was done then I had to go back and work the front of it a little more with some pieces of balsa wood pushing some of the part down because of how the piece bends a little when you put the bead in it.

Brad.... Thank you bud.... I am much happier with these new tins I made. I think they came out better as well.

Dave... Thank you buddy. I appreciate. Thank you for all of the inspiration with all of your builds. I am a big fan of your killer work.

Joe... Thank you. I feel that I can get some primer on these tins now, I just need to clean the back side up a little and remove the ink from the ball point pen. lol

Darryl... Thanks man... I sure hope it all is going to pay off. I can already see some of the reward from the rework and detail I redid. it makes me glad I did so and feel it will make it look better.

Scott... Thank you as well. these past two days really tested my patience with redoing these tins. I can't tell you how many of them I made. today alone I must of redid the one side like 4 or 5 times

Bob... Thank you, I really appreciate your kind words. I have been making myself take it to the next level and can say its paying off with the results so far.

Well Guys I sat down for a few good hours today and tonight reworking the tins again... actually redoing one of them that I wasn't happy with. I am pleased to say that after making about 5 of them because i wasn't happy or I slipped with the ball point pen while doing the bead. I finally got it to where I was happy with it. thats all I was able to get done today but now I can move forward and add a couple more components to the frame and start diving into more of this build......

Here is a pic of the Tin pieces completed and which ones I ended up going with, so glad to have them done and I don't think I want to see another tin piece with bead rolling for a while :lol: :

2v2uJyaBhxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, this thing is just awsume! Your attention to detail is just increatable! You are an insperation for me, when ever soneone tells me my builds are over the top, I just say no way and show them your work. Then they all agree, you are building to a level that is just mind blowing. I know everone has told you this already, but GREAT WORK!

Edited by SteelyEd

Ed... Thanks man. I appreciate that kind words. I have been pushing myself to build even better with this build and I have learned alot over the years of building

Hey Gus... thank you for the compliments and for following along with this build. I have been really excited to share this with everyone.

Hello, First post and first day of discovering this site. Your project was the reason I joined. Hope that is a compliment! I build LeMans type prototypes and F1 mostly, but saw a competition coupe photo the other day and decided to build something different. Long story short...Who is Mark Johnson? I'm trying to order an engine but I see no link. I discovered Comp resins...but see no engine kit. What engine are you actually using? I don't mind paying for quality. It saves time in the long run. What website belongs to Mark Johnson? I know Rob from RBMOTION, but this is jumping back into a scale and type of car I haven't built in decades. Mark ..no offense, but I am unfamiliar with your products. I've spent the last two days searching for everything drag-model related.

Hello Jack and welcome to this fun site. It is a compliment that you have joined because of my project. There are alot of great builders here that will welcome you to this board and everyone is more than willing to help each other out here. Mark Johnson is a man who does a good deal of resin casting engines and he does some killer work and the quality is very nice from him. The engine that I am using in this engine is a Mark Johnson 427 Hemi Resin engine. He has many other complete engine kits from a 427 Hemi, 392 Hemi (Injected or Blown), 417 Donovan, he also has a big block ford and is currently working on a Big Block Chevy.... by the way these are all 1/16th scale. I belive that he may also have some 1/25th stuff but I have only seen the 1/16th scale engines. let me get his email addy for you. I odn't believe that he has a website. Rob from RBMotion is a great guy and his parts are just awesome. you can't go wrong there. A few other places that I use for my parts and builds are: Charlie at Pro-Tech has some great quality products, His braided line is the best in the business. He carries photo-etch, resin and some metal cast parts. Great guy to work with as well. I have also gotten some of my 1/16th scale stuff from Terry at Flash Point resins and I have also purchased parts from Rodger at Competition resins. If you are looking for some great sets of rims look no further than Jim at Micro Nitro, he is doing some killer stuff that you will see in some off the other 1/16th scale builds here. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome. Found the Micro Nitro !!! and got all excited. Hubs and wheels are ordered. Don't have a model yet :lol: but I do have a FE dragster bid on ebay right now....so if anyone is reading this, leave my dragster alone :o I'll be building a restored injected comp coupe.

Again thanks for taking the time to list the sources.

JP

Jack... you are welcome. I look forward to you posting your builds. Especially this FE dragster you are looking to winning ;)

Jim... WOW what can I say, Your work always amazes me. I was wondering if you would be able to do the cogs like I had drawn up and man you knocked these pulleys out of the park for me. I am stoked about these. A BIG Thank you goes out to you Jim. I am looking forward to seeing the the Fuel Distribution blocks when you get them done. I still have some more items I need to draw up for the Fire Bottle and get drawings over to you. Hoping to find some time soon to do so. Will keep you posted for sure. Thanks Jim!

Chris your CD is going out tomorrow, I have been bombed of late with the racing season just weeks away at Pomona, I think you'll be happy.

Jim

Jim...Thank you very much. I really appreciate you sending a CD out to me. I am so stoked that the drag racing season is about to start again. what I would give to make it out to the winter nationals. one of these days maybe next year. was hoping to make it out to firebird raceway in Feb when tue bug boys are here but with the way work is at the moment it doesnt look like I will get to make it to the track. Thank goodness for DVR lol