Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Breaking News!

This just in from the DESERT SCALE CLASSIC News Desk:    

Chris Sobak's LONNNNNNNG AWAITED Army Funny Car project dealt another MAJOR SETBACK!!

It was revealed Saturday that unknown perpetrator(s) stole Sobak's primered body!  However, the dastardly ne'er-do-wells left a sordid imitation in its place . . . apparently in mock protest of Sobak's propensity for rushing the assembly of his model.  

Contacted for comment, Sobak told DSCNews "Maybe next year."  

Police say they are seeking a sneaky-looking group of little, short, yellow guys from Van Nuys for questioning.   A police spokesman said they are not suspects but they are 'minions of interest.'  

DSC attendee John Teresi denied knowledge of the crime and said the suspects were not minions he goes with.

A DSC spokesman said the best model car contest in the Southwest would have Sobak's perpetually reserved space on the Projects Table waiting for him next year.

Whhhaaaattt?  Color?  Really now..............sorry I didn't make the show.  So close Chris, so close.  Many many good / great builders at that show, I'll  have to make this one someday for sure.  cheers, tim

Many many good / great builders at that show, I'll  have to make this one someday for sure.  cheers, tim

Yes you do. It should be on every modelers' bucket list. Besides I'd love to meet you and drool over your creations.

Edited by gasser59

Chris, Nice to see and talk to you and everybody else at the show. There some interesting models there. The funny car is looking fantastic and can't wait to see completed. Sorry I couldn't stay but to get to my moving chores. How do I find out won what the show?  

Hey All.... well I guess the cat is out of the bag as to why you haven't seen any updated lately. I was wanting it to be a surprise for the DSC. I will respond to each of you when I get home from work and I will show some of the paint process when I get home from work since I don't have the time to do it now. Things have been a little busy for me the past few days as to why I haven't posted any pics since the show.  So stay tuned and I will get some pics up this afternoon. B)

Tim... Thank you very much on the Belt with the weather. I learned from the best.... John Teresi taught me his secret and I have to give him all the credit. for sharing his secret to me.

Dave R.... Thank you very much. You are right at how the efforts out weigh the outcome.\

Mike... Thank you on the belt. As I told Tim I don't think that I could of gotten these results if my Brother John Teresi didn't share with me how he does his belts. I was amazed at the results.

Brad... Thanks buddy. I was trying to make this huge milestone a Surprise to everyone as to why I haven't posted in a while.

Edgar... Thank you so much.

Danno... LMAO... you have me cracking up with that. I still can't stop laughing. Thanks again for the great time at the show and Being a Great MC.

Joe... Thanks... Hey sorry that you weren't able to make it out. You missed one heck of a show but I know that you to take care of family things. As always Family comes first. I hope everything is ok.

Brad... Sorry I wasn't quick enough to post pics. The past few days have been a little crazy for me and I have been worn out from burning the midnight oil since Thursday night, I didn't get time to get around to posting pics.

Ray... Thank you.

Art... Thanks buddy... It was a great time to hang out with you and see your gorgeous work on your builds. Next year you will have to stay over with John and I.

Bob... Thanks. Yeah its a little hard with out having a Minion Crew like John has. Actually don't tell  him but while he was away at another model show before the DSC, I actually went over to his shop and stole one of his minions

Tim... Yep... I finally got some color on it. It would of been so cool if you could of made it out. It is a show you will have to come out for one of these days. Hopefully I will get to meet you in the future. I know I am going to be planning on trying to hit a few shows out in that area. Would love to be able to make it the NNL in Atlanta and the NNL East shows possibly next year.

Stephen... It was great to see you this past weekend and to be able to chat for a little bit. Hopefully next year you will have some cars there.

Bob... Thank you very much.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hello Fellas....

I know I haven't posted much for about a month but there was a reason for it. I was trying to have a surprise for our Desert Scale Classic this past weekend. Now that the show is over It is time to update you all with what I think is a pretty big milestone for me on this build. I am super happy to say that I was finally able to say goodbye to the primer look and was able to get some paint on the body. Now I need to say first that I had a bunch of set backs during the painting process. Just as this build has been for me lately it wanted to fight me all thru the painting process. I had colors bleed thru the tap which I had to fix multiple times. I don't want to bore you with all of those pictures but I will do my best to share the painting process with the least amount of pictures as possible. Although I will warn you I do have quite a few pics to post, Hopefully no one minds. Here is where the build stands as of now....

So I got the Body all blocked out with 800 Grit sand paper and ready for paint:

Up next was getting the inside of the body all taped out:

After about 2+ hours of taping it was finally ready for some paint:

Here is the body with the White Base coat:

So the next thing do to was to tape off the body for the red. I had a local sign shop cut me some Gerber Paint mask (Low tack vinyl mask) from the pattern from the decals. I have to thank my friend Brad Norgaard for creating the file for the vinyl mask for me:

Here is the Vinyl Mask with the Transfer tape added to it:

Here is the body after laying the vinyl mask down and getting the rest of the body taped up for Red Paint:

Here is the body fresh from the Red Basecoat:

DP-Army-Vega%207607-1_zpskzasdd97.jpg

DP-Army-Vega%207609-1_zpszlygzvan.jpg

Here is an example of one of the spots that the red bled thru during the paint, I did go back and fix it:

DP-Army-Vega%207610-1_zpsel8pym3w.jpg

After fixing all of the spots that bled thru with the Red it was time to tape the body up for the Blue paint:

DP-Army-Vega%207615d-1_zpsk3cxitec.jpg

Here is the body with the first coat of blue:

Edited by Mooneyzs

Next I got the black base on the front and rear bumper:

Then the Silver was painted on to the bumpers:

Then it was time for the clear coat. I started by misting a light coat onto the body and had let it flash off for 10 mins then added 2 medium coats with waiting 10 mins between each coat:

Edited by Mooneyzs

SO well I have to tell you how I was actually able to get this painting done. While John Teresi was away at one of his shows in SoCal, I actually stole one of this little minions away from him to help me. This is Kevin the Painter. He is actually a resin figure that I found on Ebay which I had to paint and with the time that ran out for the desert scale classic I wasn't able to get him 100% complete. I still need to do some weathering and add some paint colors on his apron like he was wiping his fingers and getting paint on the apron. I need to thank my friend Mike Garland for printing the decals for the Eyes and the House of Kolor on the Apron for me:

Here are some pics of the Painted body:

WOW!   Great work Chris!   Sorry I missed it in person at the show.  I got there to late for the contest room to be open...I got hung up doing some morning chores (thanks a lot Home Depot!)   

Love the Minion!  That s awesome!  The Car looks amazing so far my friend!