Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meyers Manx

gwaltz1

Hi Guys,

I'm knew in these parts and I'm not sure what is okay when posting my pictures. I don't want to hijack someones thread , so shoot me if necessary !

This is the finished engine for my Manx . The plug wires are too big a diameter and the valve covers are upside down , but I can live with it . I think I'll paint my buggy orange !

post-9036-0-45250500-1331939567_thumb.jp

post-9036-0-85418000-1331939601_thumb.jp

What do you think ?

I'd at least flip the valve covers right side up. :D

Holy cow, is that a split case transmission in this kit?

Edited by Zarana-X

Hey TooOld, That's a great looking engine, forget about the minor details because they are! If I could build a VeeDub motor that good I'd be proud! I've help build real ones as we had 5 beetles in the family, but my model engines sometimes lack the necessary detail.

I've recently had my Manx kit arrive after having to get one from the US. I've got a new Humbrol Gold Pearl rattle can paint, that has to be over gloss black so undercoat on yesterday, first blow over coat of gloss black today and onwards and upwards.

I've bought some resin Fuchs Porsche rims with slicks and wets, that may fit or be just too wide but we'll see.

Anyway I'm watching your build with great interest, super job so far.

Here's my finished chassis . I know a lot of you won't like wide whites on a dune buggy , but I saw one with them back in '69 and liked it . Besides , I had never painted them before and wanted to give it a try . Please give me your opinion .

post-9036-0-19452300-1333126377_thumb.jp

post-9036-0-83599900-1333126419_thumb.jp

Thanks guys . The tires are from the AMT '62 'Vette . They are a nice size for small cars . As far as painting white walls . . . this was my first attempt . I used Humbrol acrylic white paint , rigged a bolt and some washers to hold the tire . and clamped my elec. drill in a vise . On a slow speed , brace your hand to keep it steady and use a brush to paint the tire . If you screw up , wash the paint off with water and try again . I definitely need to practice ! Some guys say they use a circle template , which I have , but I couldn't figure that out . Oh yeah , after they dry spray them with some Dull Cote . . . looks great !

Well TooOld there's no way I can beat that! But this is my Manx build at the start, firstly the gloss black floorpan and front axle plus a gold pearlescent fan shroud! The paint is one of a new range of Humbrol cans called Muti-Effect. So heres the first pic.........

28-1.jpg

29-4.jpg

Then we have the beginnings of the same Multi-Effect Gold on the body and bonnet...

13-5.jpg

14-5.jpg

Now my next problem is the colour for the interior seating! I've looked at twenty or thirty pics of real beach buggies and they have all black seating. But looking at TooOld's interior how do you beat that?

Hey Pat ! So we meet again . We built a car at work a few years ago that was almost that same color . We ended up taking the black interior out and replacing it with beige leather . I'll have to dig for it but I know I have a photo some where . I'll post it as soon as I find it .

BOB.

Well Bob your spot on with the interior colour! I've found some of my small tinned Humbrol military colours I've hardly used and tried a sandy matt colour. After just the first coat it's looking pretty good! I'll try and get some pics after the second coat tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Hello again, I've just given the seats another coat, ( I'll have to pick out the seat belts possibly in red)and test fitted the floorpan to the body tub......

32-6.jpg

33-4.jpg

34-5.jpg

The paint and the mouldings give the seats a used look.

The test fit......

36-3.jpg

35-1.jpg

I'm presently building the front axle so more pics soon!

I've mounted the front axle on the floorpan and put on the gear lever and handbrake, painted the same colour as the seats.......

38-1.jpg

40-3.jpg

39-5.jpg

I'm now waiting for the wired distributor to arrive to finish the engine. I tried fitting Porsche 356 disks all round but they are too thick and shaving them down would take away a lot of detail.

That's a nice looking color comnination ! Should look great when finished . Did you get the suggestion on the front suspension and steering box ? He's right . There aren't any good pictures anywhere that show this , but once you move it you will see how it goes . Keep up the good work !

BOB.

Ah yes! I see what you mean. Your also right that the instructions are not the best either. Cheers Bob, I'll fix it first thing tomorrow. You would have thought I should know how the front end goes together as we had 5 beetles in the family, one of which we stripped right down and rebuilt it lowered, no chrome jet black with centrelines! I have changed enough of those steering shocks to know better!

Pat , I enlarged one of my photos to show the steering box . I hope this helps .

BOB.

67a.jpg

Brake lines do NOT run along the top of the beam and under the steering box as shown here. They would go from the front of the master cylinder which is on the front side of the panel forward of the pedals, and go direct to the sides to tabs standing up at the edge of the floor pan where they become flex lines with black rubber cover out to the back side of the brake backing plates. There is no Tee in the front lines. 3 lines connect to the Master cylinder: one to the right front, one to the left front, and one along the left side of the tunnel to the rear. There is a tee on the frame next to the left front of the trans.