Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why Do We Build Models???

I started when I was about 7 or 8, so in 1989 or 1990. My first kit was a Yak 3 airplane kit in 1/72. A few pieces and I taped it with clear tape... LOL...

In a few years I spend ALL my money I'd get from my parents and family on model planes, paint, glue, ... It was all very primitive back then and also the war in my country slowed things quite a bit.

I've been building till 'bout 1998 or so. Then the teen years came, my BMX addiction got out of hand (and off the ground lol), started playing drums, composing music, drawing, designing cars on paper, ... Waaay too much stuff to do in 24 hours :lol:

When F&F came out I kinda liked some of the cars. As a rat-rod fanatic none of that bling ever kidnapped my attention, but the idea of having some of them darn thangz in scale came back to life... So I got home, opened an old box with my childhood toys... 1/24 Bburago Porsche 911, a Ferrari and an old beat-up Alfa Romeo 75 were there... First I did some mods to the Porsche, than the Ferrari and the Alfa came into play...

Before I knew it was buying models and making plans of all the mods I'd make... Needless to say - I bought waaaaay more than I could manage to modify :D

During some years I developed my techniques, been asking a kazzilion of questions all over forums and contests and once I learned some weathering skills, I was hooked again. Now I can't imagine not to add as much realism to a model as possible.

And to answer the question: Why do I build these babies? Because it is my meditation, my getaway, my own slice of heaven while I work on my models. It blows the trouble away, makes me forget about every day trials and tribulations and I can be at peace while I have those small bits in my hands...

Am I hooked? Hella :)

And to answer the question: Why do I build these babies? Because it is my meditation, my getaway, my own slice of heaven while I work on my models. It blows the trouble away, makes me forget about every day trials and tribulations and I can be at peace while I have those small bits in my hands...

Yep, that says it all for me too

Edited by oldscool

I owned a forum for a few years for Ministers only. They stress with that was overwhelming and actually ridiculous. I sold the forum and went to NYC with the wife with the proceeds. IN the next few months I started to get on my wife's nerves as I was taking out all of my frustrations on her and the kids. BAD .... very BAD. She tricked me into going with her to Hobby Lobby one day and after being bored out of my mind for about an hour I stumbled across the model isle. Like just about every red blooded kid I built model in my younger years. I was never really a "car" guy. But after much persuasion from my wife I bought a kit some paint and glue and away I went.

I guess for me it isn't about making the model exactly like it was when they rolled it off the showroom floor. It is simply a release from stress. I enjoy the artistry and turning a white canvas of plastic in something I call art. Am I any good at it... Nope, but I love it anyways.

So I am one of only a hand full of fellows whose wife cannot complain about my addiction to plastic and all that is connected with the hobby. Nope she just has to grit her teeth and bear it.

laugh.gif

Rommel,

You are confusing the issue by connecting model building with seeking attention. Builders build and attention seekers act out of the norm to stand out from the general populace.

Everyone should be able to share their work - as you do here. That is the purpose of this forum. However, I know of several exquisite model builders who choose to build instead of post their work. That’s their choice, just as you choose to post in detail your creations. They are certainly at one end of the spectrum. Somewhere in the middle are the vast majority of the 7,841 members of this forum (which is only a fraction of the entire modeling community). You, certainly, are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

You admit: “Yes I post and i bump my threads back into play via thank yous and updates but it's never to garner attention. I do what i do for the pure love of modeling nothing more nothing less.”

You bump your threads back into play for the pure love of modeling? I question your intentions.

When I have something worthwhile to contribute I post it. If readers ask questions regarding that post I take the time to answer them individually. Otherwise, I let it die a quiet death. Certainly you can’t (or shouldn’t) let a work-in-process topic die, unless by choice. I have, however, observed you bump your topic on door hinges back to the top as a “public service” – "just in case anyone missed it". I question your intentions.

Rommel,

When I have something worthwhile to contribute I post it. If readers ask questions regarding that post I take the time to answer them individually. Otherwise, I let it die a quiet death. Certainly you can't (or shouldn't) let a work-in-process topic die, unless by choice. I have, however, observed you bump your topic on door hinges back to the top as a "public service" – "just in case anyone missed it". I question your intentions.

I understand what you mean. And as for questioning my intentions, well there will always be doubts about intentions. But allow me to clear the air, I bump old stuff up (ie door hinge topic) because I noticed a thread about someone who wanted to know how to do door hinges, whats questionable about that? And if i'm bumping a topic back up its usually because someone ask me about it. You see i spend time in the chat room where sometimes someone might request to see an old build or old topic and i can bump it up faster than i can tell them how to find it. And before I get carried away let me say this. I didn't start this topic to have to explain why i may or may not do something and I responded to your comment because i felt you may have something you want to say to me directly. So now that you have, why don't you join the fun and tell us your story. B) Romell

Edited by Aftashox

THIS THREAD IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT WHY WE BUILD MODELS, SHARE YOUR STORY WITH US.

Please don't turn this into something else, if you want it to be something else, start something else.

I am enjoying reading about other members and their stories, people want to share their works with others, that is their intention and the intention of having this forum where you can display pictures and share your works and progress. So, there should be no intention that is already not self evident. Post all you want, as many times as you want, if we want to view, we can, if we want to ignore, we can. Pretty easy isn't it. Romell started a very nice topic and I am glad he did.

Mike

P.S. Please continue to share your stories gang,

Edited by bigmikevee

Well, I mentioned the why I do it part, so here's the why-I-got-into-it part...

I was surrounded by cars from an early age. From being driven home from the hospital after I was born in Dad's '67 Continental, to spending my childhood playing in my granfather's Model Ts, Model As, his '66 F-100 and his '59 Ford C-600, to learining how to drive a manual at the age of nine in Dad's Chevette. Since I've pretty much been submerged in automobiles for as long as I can remember, it was pretty much preordained I'd end up being a 'car guy'.

But I never was into the same kinds of cars as my friends were. Even as a kid, when they were drooling over bright red '57 Chevy drop tops and pink '59 Caddys, I was walking right past those and checking out the crusty '59 Buick four-door and the beat-up brown '61 Plymouth. I've never considered weathered, or oddball vehicles to be 'uncool'- I was into this stuff back when everyone else shunned it!

And of course, model building goes hand in hand with 1:1 automotive ventures. It allows you to be a car enthusiast, even if you can't spin a wrench. I personally know my way around a car's anatomy fairly well, but I do know some modelers can barely check their own tire pressure! But they still love cars, and model building is a way for them to participate.For many a parent or older sibling got them into it, but I just found it on my own. My father built models, but stopped in the mid '70's before I was even born. I was the oldest, so no older siblings building. In fact, NOBODY in my family built models, though my brother started a few years after I did. (He mostly got into Star Trek an military stuff, though, with an odd Indy car or Craftsman truck thrown in every few years.)

Wow, if I had only known what that 1:32 Fox-Mustang snap kit I built another lifetime ago would start... :lol:

Edited by Chuck Most

I started collecting 1:43 diecasts before I was a teenager. No, I didn't play with them, I collected them. They went into my 'museum', which was in an old cupboard. Despite my father is an excellent modeller (albeit he does railways) I never considered myself to be one. My forays into modelling merely consisted of restoring and improving diecasts, save for the odd Monogram 1:24 classic I got sent for Christmas from my Aunt in America.

When I was an early teenager, I had amassed a collection of about 400 models. However, what was dearly missing were American subjects. I loved American cars already back then, but only very few were available as 1:43 diecasts. Or in 1:43 scale generally. At that time, I was completely unaware that a lot of them existed as 1:25 scale kits.

Then - we are talking mid Seventies here - AMT went into a partnership with Matchbox, and for the first time American car model kits became generally available in Europe through the regular retail outlets, which were called 'toy store' back then. The impact this made on me was severe. I sold most of my collection at swap meets and purchased American model kits with the proceeds. So you can say, I became a model builder not because I wanted to, rather because I wanted models of American cars, and there was no other way to get them, than building kits.

Mind you, we are talking the dark ages here. Even the Fax wasn't generally available yet, the Internet didn't even exist in science fiction movies! America was an exotic place far, far away. But me trading my 1:43 collection for American model kits did not go unnoticed with other people who were collecting and building US car kits at the time, and one of them showed me an Auto World catalogue.

Just by browsing that catalogue, I got hooked as if he would have injected me with heroin. I believe this was in 1977 or thereabouts. From that day on I was constantly broke, because all my money went to America (remember postal money orders?). While other guys my age started with their rutting and mating rituals, I sat at home and built American plastic model kits. I also seriously worked to improve my English, to an extend that I became best of school in that subject (you may have noticed that English isn't my first language).

By the age of 18 (driving age over here) I had built a sizeable collection, and despite they wouldn't fare well by today's standards, they were well constructed, painted in carefully selected colours, and fairly well detailed. Colour selection was often courtesy of my mother, who is a fashion designer, and the initial building skills my father taught me. On the downside, I was considered a lone wolf, weirdo, and what not by my coevals, especially the female variety ("are you not too old for playing with your toy cars?").

Anyway, long story short, word got around, and a local pimp (I am NOT kidding you) who was an avid collector of real US cars, somehow heard of my collection and contacted me asking whether he may see it. Now, we are an open minded bunch, but I can clearly remember that we felt a bit awkward. Still, I invited him to our home (with the consent of my parents) and he not only turned out to be a very nice person, but was so impressed, that he offered me a real 1960 Buick LeSabre convertible he had for sale in exchange for my built models. I thought this over long and hard and after about five milliseconds I said 'yes'.

Now, imagine an 18 year old weirdo still playing with his toy cars suddenly cruising around in a Munich suburb with a 1960 Buick LeSabre convertible formerly owned by a notorious pimp. The usual first car was an old Beetle, 2CV, or Renault 4. Over night, I became the top dog! I was not only instantly popular with the girls, but also with the local fuzz. At least until around the tenth of each month, when I had to revert to my trusty Zündapp scooter for obvious reasons.

A lot of things happened and changed since then, but two things always remained part of my life:

- collecting American car model kits

- letting other people talk me out of my buildups

Edited by Junkman

Hey Christian,

One heck of s story, glad you posted for us. I have one question for you, why did you have to ride your scooter? I would guess typical teenager who could not afford the gas, just like I was, half the month I drove, half the month I rode my bicycle, but maybe there is another reason? Thank you for posting!

Mike

Cause I can B) well kinda . I can hold an exacto all night but give me a screwdriver (the tool not the drink ,I can hold those pretty good) or a wrench and after 10 or so minutes my hands are that sore I cant use them for a couple of days (severe arthritis) , so there went working on the real thing. Besides who can boast they've got a couple hundred dragcars/muscle cars at home lol. I can build almost anything that I would have loved to have but never afforded in 1:1 and not have to sell/trade it for the next one. When all my friends parents had new holdens and falcons,or vauxhals or the new wave of Japanese imports we had a hotted up 55 chev . before that we had a 51.Then my older brother started drag racing and well, we were all pretty much hooked. So from the time I was about 12 we were involved in hot rod clubs,racing etc, At high school (some of you older guys might remember AUTO BUFF (the magazine) while my friends were drooling over the (ahem) ladies ,I was drooling over the wild pro street style cars.My other main influence in building was/is my eldest brother, while he has built a lot of hot rod st machine type cars his passion is big rigs, something he is very very good at.His mantra as such is to build it as it would be in 1:1, it has to look real and like it would work, some thing I try (dont always succeed ) to do on most builds. And as to why do I post ? here, there or anywhere 1st is maybe I can inspire someone somehow to build their vision from what I've attempted to do on mine and 2ndly that someone may say, hey if you do this...... this way,this might work out better than how you were going to do it.

Hey Christian,

One heck of s story, glad you posted for us. I have one question for you, why did you have to ride your scooter? I would guess typical teenager who could not afford the gas, just like I was, half the month I drove, half the month I rode my bicycle, but maybe there is another reason? Thank you for posting!

Mike

Hey, thanks!

It was for the very same reason. Keep in mind, that the motion lotion has always been roughly four times as expensive over here and the Buick was gulping leaded premium at a 12 mpg rate.

Seeing as how everybody is posting why they got in to the game. Here's my story. I told u why I build. I've only been building for 2 years. I've always liked cars as far back as I can remember my most vivid memory is of me and my mate playing with what I think must of been about 1/12 or 1/16 general lee on my neighbours well. We would make jumps for it. It was diecast and man that got some abuse lol. So when I got a job (at 15) I bought a cheap mini (old style) and we used to rag it round the farmers field. It was just 5 minute walk away. So when I turned 17 passed my driving test. Bought a road legal car. And from then the cars have just come and gone 35 in total and I'm 32 years old. My favourite car being a Tuscan grey Renault 5 gt turbo. (not to be confused with a turbo 2) it was a machine 1.4 turbo'd engine, which the previous owner had spent a small fortune on. This car was amazing it was small but extremely fast. It would keep up with a scooby wrx. The car was my pride and joy. But it came to a sad end. After only owning the car for 5 days, some twat in a 4x4 nailed right into me. Luckily the car was fitted with full harness seat belts. I was unhurt but my pride and joy written off. B) fast forward ten years and I'm hoping I can recreate my pride and joy in either a model kit. Or simply modify a diecast.

I only got into models by chance as I used to be an rc man. And while I was on the rc forums I spotted this forum and thought I'd pop In for s look. Seen some awesome cars and thought I'd give it a bash. That was 2 years ago in November, look now I sold all my rc stuff, converted my tool shed in to a "man cave" and have a loft full of unbuilt kits. So my thanks goes out to gregg for having this site. I wouldn't have this amazing hobby without spotting this place. And thanks also for the builders like rommell who not only build amazing models. But also help out the noobies like me :blink:

Edited by cazxr2

Ok, I'll share! My father built balsa wood airplanes and even though we weren't close, I think some of his interest in those models rubbed off on me. My brother built models as well but I only remember him building a battleship.

Myself, I really enjoy replicating things in miniature! I have been known to go to great lengths and expenses to have things made just to make a project more accurate.

I started building models back in 73-75, somewhere in there. I have always loved vehicles but semi trucks are my all time favorite!! I remember when I was young, there was a guy that lived across the street from me, he was in his late teens and he had a bunch of built semi trucks! Man, you couldn't pull me away from that house! I must have bugged that poor guy to death asking to see his trucks! I begged my mom for a model truck kit and she went out and bought me the AMT Kenworth W925 "Watkins" conventional. I remember building it right out of the box with no paint. It was all white and chrome. So, to add color, I used a blue pastel chalk and "colored" stripes onto the cab,hood and sleeper. Man, did it look cool!!!!! (to my young eyes!) From then on, my mom was always buying models for me, especially at Christmas! I would wake up and there would be model kits (not wrapped) placed around the tree and sitting in chairs, etc.

Fast forward several years and now I'm buying kits myself.....lots of kits!!! I ended up going back to that house across the street from where we used to live to see if that guy still lived there. He had moved out but his models were there! His mother gave me all those truck and trailer models! Now, being a much more experienced modeler at that time, I could see that they weren't built as well as I had remembered! I don't really remember what became of them after that?

As I've grown I've discovered the rush of finding old, rare kits at great prices and I have had many good buys over the years. I have always bought and collected all types of kits, everything from cars, pickups, trucks to airplanes, construction equipment and oil rigs. If it replicates the real thing accurately, I want it! Noticing the lack of certain, very common parts for models that were being used on the real vehicles, I started resin casting and machining my own parts. I started doing this back in 1994. I quit casting in 2000 and I just make masters now for others to cast. I do build quite often, I just have a knack for not finishing things due to acquiring something new and losing interest on the previous project. I do try though! LOL

I also really enjoy collecting kits. Don't get me wrong, I'll build it if I get the urge but I get equal satisfaction just in owning a mint, unbuilt kit that is super rare. A kit that has made it allll these years without someone assembling it. I usually always buy kits two at a time. One to build and one to collect. That's my story in a nut shell. Sorry for rambling all over the place.

And Romell, I really enjoy looking at anything you have to share! You are an outstanding builder and it would be a shame to keep such beautiful work from the rest of the world. I get a lot of motivation from looking at others work and to see that there are others out there that go to the same extremes that I do to build a model, makes me feel good!

Keep up the awesome work Romell, you have more fans than critics.

And Romell, I really enjoy looking at anything you have to share! You are an outstanding builder and it would be a shame to keep such beautiful work from the rest of the world. I get a lot of motivation from looking at others work and to see that there are others out there that go to the same extremes that I do to build a model, makes me feel good!

Keep up the awesome work Romell, you have more fans than critics.

B)Sniff Sniff......Thx Ben for sharing your story with us, And thx for the uplifting compliment

My father and his brother build as kids in the 50's. It was something they were both fond of as car guys and he started models for me at 8 or 9 years old to help fill those winter afternoons in LI, New York. We went to car shows and my fathers love of the American automobile was quickly passed on to me, as I idolized my dad. He was a big garage sale/flea market guy so I had new batches of old kits dropped on my table all the time. He kept me well occupied. As a borderline ADD kid, that was important.

I built throughout my childhood and in my late teens I started wondering if this was just kid stuff, because mom still called them my "toy cars". Then I discovered SAE in the hobby shop and was enthralled by the work there. Here were grown men, doing what I loved and making them works of art. I was inspired and vindicated and my dad and I read every issue cover to cover.

I built throughout my addulthood, but rarely as I didn't have a lot of time with the military/wife/kids/etc. About eight years ago, I got back into it. I build now for two reasons. First, I love cars. Period. Second, I have an artistic side that needs to be expressed. I'm not happy unless I'm creating something. Models, painting, poetry, short stories, table top role playing or whatever.

In my opinion some builders build solely for the attention they can garner from entering contests or the attention they can draw upon themselves by posting (and bumping their topic back into play at every opportunity, be it a "thank you" or "update").

While it isn't "solely" why I build, I'm very guilty of this. I do love to share my work, and I do enjoy the attention it gets on forums or at contests (two a year). I'm aware of this and consider it a character flaw, but an acceptable one. I share on multiple forums and am in two model car clubs. However, this is what I'm into. Models. I do it by myself at home. Not a real social hobby. Contests and forums add that social aspect to it and that is something I crave. I can't help it and don't wish to try. I'm sure it's been noticed by folks here and feel free to ignore my threads if it's something that bothers you. I won't be offended.

While it isn't "solely" why I build, I'm very guilty of this. I do love to share my work, and I do enjoy the attention it gets on forums or at contests (two a year). I'm aware of this and consider it a character flaw, but an acceptable one. I share on multiple forums and am in two model car clubs. However, this is what I'm into. Models. I do it by myself at home. Not a real social hobby. Contests and forums add that social aspect to it and that is something I crave. I can't help it and don't wish to try. I'm sure it's been noticed by folks here and feel free to ignore my threads if it's something that bothers you. I won't be offended.

Thats right Do what makes you feel good Brother! <ahttp://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> (can you tell im bumpin this thread on purpose now with thank yous and updates)

Edited by Aftashox

Thats right Do what makes you feel good Brother! <ahttp://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> (can you tell im bumpin this thread on purpose now with thank yous and updates)

Hey Aftasshox,

Did I miss something? What is the comment about bumping supposed to mean? I mean we all see you bump your posts all day and night long, it's how you strive get the attention you seem to crave. I get that. No big deal. But why that comment? Just curious. Bump if you have to...

Hey Aftashox,

Did I miss something? What is the comment about bumping supposed to mean? I mean we all see you bump your posts all day and night long, it's how you strive get the attention you seem to crave. I get that. No big deal. But why that comment? Just curious. Bump if you have to...

Its plain English Mark , And it means what it means. No need to try to read between the lines cause i don't do subliminal messages. Un-like some I say whats on my mind and I don't beat around the bush. And I bump cause I want to, not cause I have to. Dont attack my character and expect me to lay down. Take it how you want Romell

You know after I sat back and read this I realized I had to come back and add this, Im doing no more than what i have

seen you do also, have you not thanked people for compliments on your threads? Have you not updated a work in progress? So is that how you strive to get attention? I wonder.

BUMP!

Edited by Aftashox

Its plain English Mark , And it means what it means. No need to try to read between the lines cause i don't do subliminal messages. Un-like some I say whats on my mind and I don't beat around the bush. And I bump cause I want to, not cause I have to. Dont attack my character and expect me to lay down. Take it how you want Romell

You know after I sat back and read this I realized I had to come back and add this, Im doing no more than what i have

seen you do also, have you not thanked people for compliments on your threads? Have you not updated a work in progress? So is that how you strive to get attention? I wonder.

BUMP!

First of all Rommel, I did not attack your character, please show me what you think I said that made you jump to that conclusion. Otherwise I'd appreciate you not falsely accusing me of anything.

I don't know what you mean by "expecting you to lay down" either. Please provide an explanation, or stop insinuating that I am doing anything other than asking a simple question regarding your comment. I'm going to guess you think you know what I meant (But I think you are off base) instead of just reading what I wrote and responding to it. Don't beat around the bush.

I think you are trying to equate my posting as I build and including an appropriate thank-you or to answer a legitimate question when I actually have more progress to share, with your self-described bumping only for attention.

They are unequivocally not the same.

I post in one thread per project, not two for example. Obvoiusly I don't "bump" two threads either, as you have done.

I allow my threads to fall off the front page and don't feel any need to bump them "just because". (You can fill in your reason dejour why you need to bump.)

I don't respond individually to posts, one at a time, spaced out through the day, to keep my post in play on the front page for as long as possible.

When I do post to respond to multiple questions, I include all answers in one post, and let it go.

You ask me "So is that how you strive to get attention? I wonder." Sounds like you are beating around the bush with that...

You pose that as if to say when I post my projects, like 95% of the other builders here do I might add, it is only to get attention. Are you painting nearly everyone who posts what they are working on with the same brush as you are trying to paint me with?

Yet when you post and bump repeatedly it is somehow to be seen in a different light? You even include the word “Bump” in your bumps. You have admitted you bump your threads for attention, now you take another stance?

Why are you trying to make it sound like I am only trying to garner attention with my posts of my work, (as if it is a bad thing) yet you post way more than I do and you claim I am the one begging for attention? OK for you to post (currently it seems 10 times a day 1.55 average), but for anyone else to post much less you say they are only doing so for the attention? (My daily average is 0.48) Please explain. Thanks.

First of all Rommel, I did not attack your character, please show me what you think I said that made you jump to that conclusion. Otherwise I'd appreciate you not falsely accusing me of anything.

I don't know what you mean by "expecting you to lay down" either. Please provide an explanation, or stop insinuating that I am doing anything other than asking a simple question regarding your comment. I'm going to guess you think you know what I meant (But I think you are off base) instead of just reading what I wrote and responding to it. Don't beat around the bush.

I think you are trying to equate my posting as I build and including an appropriate thank-you or to answer a legitimate question when I actually have more progress to share, with your self-described bumping only for attention.

They are unequivocally not the same.

I post in one thread per project, not two for example. Obvoiusly I don't "bump" two threads either, as you have done.

I allow my threads to fall off the front page and don't feel any need to bump them "just because". (You can fill in your reason dejour why you need to bump.)

I don't respond individually to posts, one at a time, spaced out through the day, to keep my post in play on the front page for as long as possible.

When I do post to respond to multiple questions, I include all answers in one post, and let it go.

You ask me "So is that how you strive to get attention? I wonder." Sounds like you are beating around the bush with that...

You pose that as if to say when I post my projects, like 95% of the other builders here do I might add, it is only to get attention. Are you painting nearly everyone who posts what they are working on with the same brush as you are trying to paint me with?

Yet when you post and bump repeatedly it is somehow to be seen in a different light? You even include the word "Bump" in your bumps. You have admitted you bump your threads for attention, now you take another stance?

Why are you trying to make it sound like I am only trying to garner attention with my posts of my work, (as if it is a bad thing) yet you post way more than I do and you claim I am the one begging for attention? OK for you to post (currently it seems 10 times a day 1.55 average), but for anyone else to post much less you say they are only doing so for the attention? (My daily average is 0.48) Please explain. Thanks.

Ok lets take this one thing at a time:

1. I wasn't speaking of you when I said attack my character I was speaking of the comment made by Steve in an earlier comment. when saying I post just to get attention. If I owe you an apology for that, then I offer it.

2. What I mean by expecting me to lay down is if someone has something to say to me fine but don't expect me not to respond in kind.

3. And yes If its said I'm posting just to garner attention then everyone else who post you included is doing the same.

4. And so what if I bump a thread or 2 or 4 for that matter who's business is it other than mine, and if someone doesn't like it they don't have to view what I'm posting

5. on that note I'm tired of this back and forth bantering if you have more you'd like to say to me hit me up in a PM and I'll give you my phone # and we can talk like men I hate texting back and forth. no disrespect intended. Romell