Model Cars Magazine Forum

To hold us until Revell's 1950 Oldsmobile...

jeffs396

Here's Ertl's 1/25 diecast 1950 Oldsmobile, given to me by my good friend Dave (thanks Dave!!!) A disassembly, stripping, prepping, and a satin hot rod grey primer job, followed by a set of Revell '57 Chevy snap kit wheels & tires on a lowered chassis. A little detailing and reassembly, and I'm calling this one DONE!!!

IMG_75232.jpg

IMG_77162.jpg

IMG_77142.jpg

IMG_77152.jpg

Dick (Landy) approves!

Dickapproves2.jpg

IMG_77132.jpg

I just don't an probably never will understand why Ertil / A M T never released either the Oldsmobile or the Studebaker . I saw the 50 Studebaker as a Die Cast in a Wal Mart with Coca Cola markings , then several other colors were added in the Johnny Lightning 1-24th series . I have also seen the Oldsmobile in N A P A stores as a Nascar racer too. Seems like both of these were a win win for Ertil ......................

Ed Shaver

Thanks everyone!

This was a fun, quick project, about 4 hours TOTAL in this one. I thought about bashing it with the AMT Chevy fleetline to do an Olds fastback, but wanted to see something finished without all of the "burnout" associated with complicated projects. I think the 2-door sedan body is cool though...

Here's the funnest part of diecast rebuilds:

IMG_75322.jpg

Don't shy away from diecasts because they're not styrene...there are some unique subjects out there, good for a quickie to get the creative juices flowing again! B)

I just don't an probably never will understand why Ertil / A M T never released either the Oldsmobile or the Studebaker . I saw the 50 Studebaker as a Die Cast in a Wal Mart with Coca Cola markings , then several other colors were added in the Johnny Lightning 1-24th series . I have also seen the Oldsmobile in N A P A stores as a Nascar racer too. Seems like both of these were a win win for Ertil ......................

Ed Shaver

I'm with you on that, Ed. One thing, though, the Olds you saw at Napa is not the Ertl diecast. It's an Action '49 Olds. The car itself is part of their 50th anniversary Nascar series, sold only through Napa. The Olds is a replica of Red Byrons car, who was the first Nascar Champion. It's a very nice peice.

Back on topic, that's a sweet ride you've made from that Ertl Olds, Jeff.