Model Cars Magazine Forum

The recession hasn't hit everyone

Regarding the 1999 concept Charger, it never hurts to do some homework. I would presume that the professional engineers and designers at Chrysler have something of a clue about what they're doing...

http://www.conceptca.../T-Concept.aspx

I've read that before, but it also says 267k were produced. I just don't see how that engine would fit. It's a pretty tall package. And ive never seen pics of it in there. Not saying there are none, just haven't seen them.

When car companies play safe with design they get blamed for being boring. When they do something different they get slammed by the same people for, well, being different.

Regarding the Juke: while there is no way I can afford a Juke R, I really don't understand the hate that has been lashed out to it. We just went to see the regular one last weekend. I don't think it is as bad as some people make it out to be, it looks sharp and it drives great. My wife just loves it.

The only thing that is stopping me from buying one is the trunk layout. It's incredibly shallow with the floorboard on, and while the floorboard can be removed, the space underneath it is divided into 2 small compartments by the spare cover handle, making the trunk hard to use with it off.

It's funny how everyone latched onto this and tore it apart....

That $600K Juke is being assembled by an OUTSIDE shop, NOT Nissan. There's a few custom coach builders out there in Germany & Switzerland building 6-figure one-off's. This is just another. And I bet somewhere in the middle East there's a Sheik that just ordered one, whom are the usual target buyers.

BTW: The Infiniti M56 is no more a "performance" car as any other 4,000 lb. car w/only 400 HP and fuel-friendly gearing. Trust me....

I'm jumping in rather late on the discussion, but my 2 cents have to do more with the fact that as the middle class is destroyed, the few and the filthy rich can still afford whatever their hearts desire . . . I think this is the history of the planet. The few control the many, and the super rich will always spend lavishly on toys . . . I hear in China, top members of the C. Party live like royalty.

Personally, I don't like the design on the Juke. For 600K I would much rather spend on the the Mini Cooper for every member of the family and then a nice house. Simple pleasures for simple folk, right? ;):)

Edited by Dr. Cranky

:huh::unsure::wacko::blink:

Eesh....I didn't think it was possible to make it any worse, but someone with Photoshop managed....

I will say, from the side, it doesn't look too bad, but that front is terrible.

Charlie Larkin

Short of a severe (I'm talking nearly as drastic as Chrysler's Sebring to 200) facelift, that won't easily be corrected!

Edited by Joe Handley

It's a fun little car, but in the article it states it was unveiled as the pace car for the Dubai 24 hr race... Gotta have money if your in Dubai to see the 24 hr. race... Imagine all those rich idiots over there salivating over this car. Nissan is cashing in on the More Money than Brains crowd!

Go Nissan!

think about it, Nissan builds or has built a concept car to show off a cool idea, let's see what would happen if we mixed the ugly Hippo Juke with the top of the line performance car, the GT-R. it's undoubtably weird, but very, very cool at the same time. the "joke" of a Juke mixed with a tail kicking drivetrain.

the concept gets shown, i think that outside company built two of them but whatever, that's not really important. what happens now is that this concept, which is a bit different than the majority of concepts that are just glossy show cars, also runs and drives and is very fast and effective. so from there i'm sure you had someone very impressed, maybe even a few someones that also had VERY deep pockets and the desire to spend that money on something exciting and very different than the seen way too often in Dubai common supercars and exotica.

Nissan had no desire to build anymore of these things than the two concepts they did, there is considerable time, money and effort tied up into these two cars and now interested people come forward and say, "we want one" and we are willing to pay for it. maybe Nissan wasn't interested and said no, but these guys persisted and kept at it. Nissan then throws a ridiculous price out there, okay you want it, it will be $600k, hoping that with an insane figure like that, that the potential buyers will go away. but they don't, they say okay, here's the money lets do it.

how many will they actually produce? who knows, if it's more than 10 i'll be very suprised. how many of those will end up in the U.S.? i doubt it will be any of them unless it's one of those first two concept builds brought here by Nissan.

Very well said Dave