Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why are kits so much money!?

I was looking at the main page at the 1/24 Similr Ford Focus WRC 2010 and found it on M&S hobbies and they have it for 75 bucks! It looks like a great kit but for 75 bucks I could get 3 or 4 other kits. Does anybody know why kits are so much?

It all has to do with the amount of detail in the model and how large the company is. Larger companies like Revell and AMT for example have cheaper kits because the companies are large and the kits are lower detail (compared to others). The Similr company is smaller and the models are more detailed so their kits cost more. A company like Tamiya is larger but their kits are more detailed than ones from Revell or AMT so their cost is in between the two.

Because they can get it.

Pricing consumer goods can be complex in it's explanations and rationalizations. Limited production things cost more because they have to make more jack on each one. High quality things cost more because you get more quality, or content. New things cost more because some people are willing to pay stupid money to be cool and hip. Things made by inefficient companies with too much overhead, middle management and other expenses cost more because idiots have to eat too.

Use the 40 and 50% off coupons off at michaels and hobby lobby. Michael's list $ on monogram/revell kits are higher than the SRP set my the mfgr. so the offer the coups. I only by kits with the coupons and clearance sales. Steve

The nearest hobby store is 2 hours away and the best hobby store near me is 5 hours away. I would go by myself but I'm 12. So I'll have to wait on going.

The nearest hobby store is 2 hours away and the best hobby store near me is 5 hours away. I would go by myself but I'm 12. So I'll have to wait on going.

Have your parents use ebay to get kits. Or use Hobby Lobby's online store because they offer the 40% coupon online too. I get most of my kits from Ebay because you can get descent prices on hard to find kits if you look hard enough. Most kits will run you less than $30 including shipping.

That Ford Focus WRC doesn't look like real WRC Focus.

The kit may be pretty good quality otherwise, but it's not correct if compared to real car.

Finnish Model Car Builder, who actually builds mostly Rally Cars reviewed this kit in Finnish Model Car Association's Magazine. There are lots of parts, yes. Photo Etch and Cartograf decals too. Instructions are very good, too.

Anyway, there are lots of ejector marks and other mistakes what need putty. Panel Lines are very light too, and need some scribing. Glass parts are not that good either. Headlights are too small, and they don't fit nicely. Body needs to be glued together from seperately molded parts which don't fit together well. There's no engine or opening hood, but doors are opening. That's bit weird, I would say. No Door hinges are included. Chassis detailing is not too great either. There are lots of differences with the Real car and this Model Kit.

There's missing some quite important parts from the kit, but luckily they can be found from Renaissance's Photo Etch parts set. (I don't know what parts those really are in english, sorry about that.)

Body is not so correct shape, either. For example the rear spoiler is incorrect shape, too small headlights, too wide Grille in the front and too wide fenders.

This is not my opinion, or I don't have this kit. I'm not going to buy it either, since it's way too expensive if it has that much mistakes.

Hope this helps someone. :P

The ones I get from Japan come via a Fed Ex plane and get here in about 4 days door to door..can't beat that for delivery..

True, but fedex shipping is not cheap from Asia country's , I just bought four kits , two each from a hong Kong seller, two from a Tokyo seller, shipping on both was north of $20 and still took a weeks, I will wait the few weeks . And orders come via air as well , not the boat.

Edited by martinfan5

Costs of the base components is higher, + modeling community as a whole is older + in most cases means less kits sold / produced. = higher prices

the days of the .99 cent kits are LOOOOOOONG gone

Edited by gtx6970

Hang in there,, It will only gets better with age.. my first model was 39 cents,, My first Coke was a nickel,,

pack of smokes in the service was 35 cents,, ( I've Quit ) first new car was 59 dollars a month, and was i sweating..

making them payments,, So..in 20 - 30 more years,,,you'll be happy to pay 75 now....