Model Cars Magazine Forum

Faded 41

slownlow

Guess it's time to post this WIP in full. It's a 41 Plymouth I started last winter and with all the hype with the 48 Ford fade I thought I'de try something a little different. I started out with a 3"+ chop.

P1040003-vi.jpg

Then on to the fade. I built the base up with styrene square rods then over coated with bondo then recreated the fender side flares with .010" styrene. What i learned is don't mix your medias so much as the different products sand differently. I'll recreate those iconic speed lines coming off the back of the wheel radiuses once I'm happy with the final sanding and panel lines.

P1040107-vi.jpg

As i worked on it I began to dislike the bulky feel of the rear fenders and trunk so I did a pie section to help ease the look.

This shows the darkened areas to be removed with a "hinge" scribe up and across the top of the trunk.

P1040121-vi.jpg

and the result

P1040575-vi.jpg

I also learned don't add the rain gutter till your happy with the panel lines, large pain in the tuckus.

P1040118-vi.jpg

Here's the engine. I had to make the exhaust headers as the kit had something more appropriate for a gasser.

P1040667-vi.jpg

This is the interior. Next time I'll do the door tuck and roll in a smaller profile than the seats. I haven't shot the body but the color is Model Master's "Deep Pearlescent Purple" with black added. The dash is that color but in the pic it just looks dark.

P1040576-vi.jpg

Here's hoping I get er done before turkey day.

Andy, back in the day I had a 4 door sedan. Ya suicide doors, One enhanced evening I almost lost a buddy but for the quick reaction of another friend. That was one of the most comfortable cars I ever had. You felt like you were sitting in a couch plus a throttle knob so it was sort of cruise control.

Rob, there are several techniques for chopping tops. The type of chop that works for me on late 30's to late 40's kind of looks like this.P1030997-vi.jpg

The A and B pillars are cut removing the amount of chop desired the C pillar is removed till the slope of the rear window section is determined. You can see that when the A pillar is cut the roof must move forward to reattach the pillars. This determines how much gap needs to be filled in the roof if you wish to keep the roof level. A "gentleman's chop" lowers the roof more in front than in back so more would be added across the back. As with all things there are a bunch of ways to accomplish the same result. Some guys will notch the back bottom of the A pillar allowing the windshield to slope back too. Different roof styles also require different techniques. I learned this style from Mark Gustavson"s book "Custom Car Modeling". Hope this wasn't too confusing. The main thing is just to go for it. If you keep your vision clear the roof will tell you what it wants.

Rob, if you go to the Fotki address under my signature and look at the models folder I did progress shots of chops on the 40 Ford coupe, 53 cevy, 49 Mercury, and this girl. The images may explain better than my words.

Mark, the paint is a custom mix of black and Deep Pearlescent Purple. So far the dash is all I've painted but it didn't photograph too well.

Edited by slownlow

Andy, back in the day I had a 4 door sedan. Ya suicide doors, One enhanced evening I almost lost a buddy but for the quick reaction of another friend. That was one of the most comfortable cars I ever had. You felt like you were sitting in a couch plus a throttle knob so it was sort of cruise control.

The same guy has another '40 Plymouth he's restoring. It's totally original. Last time I saw that one, it was still together. From what he told me, he's already separated the body and frame. The engine, original 6 cylinder, is already rebuilt. Soda blasting the body is next, so he's really moving along. No pics of that car though.