Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980? Monte Carlo

zenrat

C-Bomb001.jpg

This is the C-Bomb.

C-Bomb007.jpg

AMT/MPC Monte Carlo. Not a very nice kit which I only bought because it was cheap and had the bike with it.

I decided to build the sort of street machine i'd see on the streets when I was a youth - although they were usually Fords - and experiment with the paint (enamel over acrylic then rubbed back - graphics by texter).

C-Bomb010.jpg

Wheels are resin from The Parts Box and sidepipes are Revell '69 'vette.

C-Bomb006.jpg

The blower is from the AMT USA1 monster truck with a scoop from my parts box...

...It's also a dummy...

C-Bomb008.jpg

...as are the side pipes..

C-Bomb009.jpg

...although I did put in an exhaust cut out.

You see while most of the street machines of my youth may have looked tough very few of them bit as hard as they barked. Hence the name. It may look the part and sound the part but look under the skin and you'll realise it'll run like a C-Bomb.

As the dash in these is basically straight it was no problem to chop out the instruments from the lefthand side, splice in a piece of styrene and then glue the instruments back on on the right side.

The pedals I just left because you can't see them anyway .

5 slot mags (jelly beans, Fentons or whatever else you want to call them ) are my favourite wheels and are far too rare in scale.

Otaki (?) made the originals these were cast from but they are not around anymore and I only have one set left.

Fujimi do something similar but they are a bit small diameter and have a gear molded onto the back of one of the rears for an electric driven toy.

Otherwise there is a set in an AMT 'vette (60? 62?) and in the AMT '65 Riviera.

At first I looked at this and was like, WTF!, why would you put a fake scoop and pipes but I went back and read why you did what you did and I just think it was a brilliant approach to the build. It looks so cool and I think you did a great job executing the build. Nice job and a pretty cool name to go with it.