Model Cars Magazine Forum

Very sad news, Dick Trickle dead.

Guest G Holding

Winningest short track racer in America

I tip a Tall Cold PBR to ya Dick. Slinger will never forget you!

RIP my buddy

trickle.jpg

5194955-gmti_photoj1998q3m09t06h20544500

Edited by G Holding

Self-Inflicted Gun Shot Takes Life of Racing Legend

May 16, 2013

Lincolnton, NC – Retired race car driver Richard “Dick” Trickle, 71, died today from an apparent self inflicted gun shot wound.

The incident occurred at 12:02 p.m. at Forest Lawn Cemetery on Highway 150 East in Boger City.

The Lincoln County Communications Center received a call apparently from the victim that “there would be a dead body and it would be his “. Communications Center workers tried to place a return call to the number but did not get an answer.

The first emergency units arriving on the scene located the body lying near the victim’s pickup truck.

Trickle was a Lincoln County resident and had lived here since the early 1990’s

More updates on what happend

2:44 PM PT -- NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France just commented on Trickle's death ... saying, "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Dick Trickle on his passing today."

"Dick was a legend in the short-track racing community, particularly in his home state of Wisconsin, and he was a true fan favorite. Personalities like Dick Trickle helped shape our sport. He will be missed."

2:28 PM PT -- We're told ... Trickle's body was removed from the cemetery and has been transported to a nearby hospital.

2:17 PM PT -- Multiple sources who knew Trickle tell us he had been sick for a while and depressed. We're not sure what kind of illness Trickle had been suffering from.

1:51 PM PT -- Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Trickle did leave a suicide note at the death scene. The contents of the note are unclear at this time.

Wasn't his son (Dan), also a race driver, murdered on Blue Diamond Rd. outside Las Vegas a few years back???

Yes, and his granddaughter died at the age 16 I believe , he was found in the cometary that is granddaughter is buried at, thats what the reports are saying

I thought the Vegas Trickle Murdered was his Nephew.

I do remember watching that on AMW

I remember him on the 'Cup' curcuit. Oldest Rookie Of the Year!!

I believe the Movie was a Fictionalization of Tim Richmond.

Or that Cole was Loosely based on Tim.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I thought the Vegas Trickle Murdered was his Nephew.

I do remember watching that on AMW

I remember him on the 'Cup' curcuit. Oldest Rookie Of the Year!!

I believe the Movie was a Fictionalization of Tim Richmond.

Or that Cole was Loosely based on Tim.

You are correct, Chris Trickle was Dick's nephew. A little trivia about Chris; after his murder (which is still unsolved BTW) he was replaced in the Southwest Tour late model he had been driving by Kurt Busch who then went on to win the championship in that division. And the rest is history. Who know what would've happened to either of them if things had been different.

And the Tom Cruse character in Days of Thunder was loosely, VERY loosely based on Tim Richmond.

Guest Johnny

A real loss for the racing community. Especially in Wi. .

One driver I had the real pleasure of knowing and he was a great guy.

Godspeed Dick Trickle.