Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is anyone using this spray booth? Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush%C2%AE-Portable-Airbrush-Extension/dp/B00B2TESUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374266654&sr=8-1&keywords=spray+booth

514s4Iu0bCL.jpg

I've found this spray booth online and I like the price. There's no way I can afford to drop $200-300 right now for a better booth, but as I live in a balconyless apartment, I have no where to spray and I'd like to get back into building.

My main concern is use with hobby lacquer and enamal paints and spray cans that may be flamable. The notes on this booth say NOT to use it with flamable paint, but being that it's designed for the hobbyist I can't imagine them not taking hobby paints into account that are not water based.

The last thing I want to do is have a potential hazard on my hands so is anyone using this booth with enamal and lacquer paints with out any issues?

Thanks for any replies!

Edited by Ryan S.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush%C2%AE-Portable-Airbrush-Extension/dp/B00B2TESUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374266654&sr=8-1&keywords=spray+booth

514s4Iu0bCL.jpg

The notes on this booth say NOT to use it with flamable paint, but being that it's designed for the hobbyist I can't imagine them not taking hobby paints into account that are not water based.

If that's what the notes say, I strongly advise you not to use it for flammable paints. You would be liable for any damages because you violated the safety instructions for the product.

I've been using one of these for a couple of years now. Sprayed everything at it from enamels/ auto lacquers and 2k clear coats without an issue.

I've only ever used an airbrush with mine but i've seen video on you tube of someone demonstrating spraying a aerosol can of lacquer directly at it with out any surprises.

There is nothing in my instruction book or on the box about not using it with flammable paints, just the usual warnings to use it when sober/ keep kids clear ect ect.

There would be differences in litigation laws between countries so it may be the warnings in your country is the retailer protecting themselves ?

Yes, I also have used it many times. It's a little small, but, I added some foam board wings onto the sides and top to gather in spray back and now its great, grabs all the mist and sucks it away. I'd recommend it, it is as good as any $200.00 unit I have seen!

Well, for starters, let's take a look at what a spray booth should do:

1) It should remove paint particulates from the surrounding air (overspray). This minimizes the paint dust that nearly all of us have experienced over time, whether from and airbrush, or from rattle cans.

2) It should remove the solvent fumes from the air in the room or space where one is spray-painting. This is perhaps the real "peace keeper" feature, as it greatly reduces, perhaps eliminating, the smell of paint from the room, the apartment, even the house. For me, as I live in an apartment which is the entire second floor of a converted house with central HVAC.

The booth you show, as set up, will remove most, if not all the particulates, but it also shows the exhaust air coming right back into the user's face, which means that the fumes (evaporated solvents, the smell) come right back into your workspace. In a self-contained apartment, with no HVAC ducting shared with any other apartment, the smell of paint will be pretty much your problem (although it might leak around your front door into a hallway, which if closed to the outside weather will affect passers by at least to some degree. However, it looks as though you should be able to put that exhaust outlet through the bottom of a slightly opened window sash, which would greatly reduce the smell in your unit (even more if you can blank off the sash opening on each side of the booth's outlet.

Things to consider, I think.

Art

Thank for the advice and insight everyone. I may just pick one up and put it through it's paces and see what happens. The price is pretty good.

The picture is pretty funny having the air outlet on top coming back into the users face, but I realize it's meant to be placed in a window, which fortunately I have a perfect spot for it.

If I get it, I'll let you all know how it works out.

Thanks again!

The only possible issue I see is that it doesn't say that the fan motor is intrinsicaly safe. Not to say that I wouldn't use it myself, just be aware that, unless it specifically SAYS that it is intrinsicaly safe, it's possible that you could have an explosion hazard with flamable solvents and aerosols.

For those that don't know, intrinsicaly safe means that the motor is sealed so that it is explosion proof.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...