Model Cars Magazine Forum

So what are you styrene cutting tools

You are better off with manual tools. Electric tools will melt the plastic as they cut.

For most operations, nothing is more complicated than an Exacto No 11 blade. For straight cuts on sheet plastic, I have an old hacksaw blade that I use the non-cutting edge as a straight edge to cut against. It's thick enough that I don't jump over it when cutting. Mostly I will score the piece, then snap it apart.

MVC008F-vi.jpg

And here's my favorite tool for cutting plastic strips or basswood. You get a straight cut every time. and I will tape a stop onto it when I want pieces all the same length. It also has a few templates that snap in for angles. Best $50 you will spend on tools!

Edited by Tom Geiger

You are better off with manual tools. Electric tools will melt the plastic as they cut.

For most operations, nothing is more complicated than an Exacto No 11 blade. For straight cuts on sheet plastic, I have an old hacksaw blade that I use the non-cutting edge as a straight edge to cut against. It's thick enough that I don't jump over it when cutting. Mostly I will score the piece, then snap it apart.

MVC008F-vi.jpg

And here's my favorite tool for cutting plastic strips or basswood. You get a straight cut every time. and I will tape a stop onto it when I want pieces all the same length. It also has a few templates that snap in for angles. Best $50 you will spend on tools!

I have that and it's great. Just got a big pack of blades for it. Paid $35 for mine at Tacoma Train.

Dale

I have that and it's great. Just got a big pack of blades for it. Paid $35 for mine at Tacoma Train.

Dale

MVC001S-vi.jpg

I bought mine when I was going to build this. I was at the hobby shop to buy basswood and saw this on the shelf for $49. I use it every day, it's very handy to have around. Oh, and for the guys who won't spend the money, good tools are forever. I've had this 5 years now, so I've depreciated it $10 a year. It's certainly worth that!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Butcher knife, cleaver, bow saw, and an axe also.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe - that's my motto.

Actually, what I use instead of a large razor saw is these:

http://shop.excelblades.com/p/13-fine-saw-blade-5-pcs?pp=12

They are small and thin, don't have a spine (so you can do flush cuts) somewhat maneuverable, and fit into a standard Xacto handle (replaces the #11 blade). Don't let the size of the picture fool you - they're about 2" long and the same height as the mounting portion of a #11 blade.

I use all kinds of things. Xacto knife, Xacto saw, individual razor blades, scissors, fingernail clips (cause I don't have a sprue cutter) and for rough cuts that I need to make and trim in later, I actually do use a dremel. I just don't cut so close to where I need to be because of that melting factor. Although I have been known to cut out 90% of the back of a grille with it as well.

Edited by Skydime

MVC008F-vi.jpg

I have one of these but have a lot of trouble getting a square cut. It seems too flexible and the blade twists or something and the cut doesn't stay square to the length. It's probably me, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'd love to hear any tricks to using it from those who are successful with it.

I have used most of the saws above and they are very nice for large cuts. For smaller cuts, curved cuts and tight spaces these Hasegawa/Tritool photo etched saws are really great. http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGTP-3/Sup There is a second set also but the photo on HLJ was messed up but you can find it with a little research. I have had a set since my first trip to Japan in 1998. With a little care they will last for a long time. They also make a very, very fine cut. It is so fine that you can easily glue a part back on if you want to without filler. At $10 each plus S&H they are really a great tool to have in you tool chest.

I use many tools I collected over the years.some I bought some I made.i use a DC dremel that I made a control pot for that slows the speed down and it has a very fine small saw blade in.I put it in backwards so it don't cut me and so it don't do damage to the plastic.it has worked great for me.some are electric and some manual tools.you find what works for you.Thanks,Chris

• 6 years later...

It depends on what you're cutting. As most have said, a straight line cut is best with a #11 blade (in a handle) against a ruler. For hogging out holes, a Dremel for the initial rough cut and then sculpting with the #11 knife works for me. I frequently will use small scissors to make a rough cut of a compound curve on a sheet of styrene that's not too thick. A Sawzall always comes in handy as well. In essence, the answer is "It depends...."  -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat