Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrushes

I'm in the market for a new airbrush, and I have a few questions.I have limited airbrush time but I use an Iwata sprayer with a 1.4 tip for DP-90 and a DeVilbiss with a 1.8 and up tip for primers almost daily (when I am working ) . I have a lot of experience with spraying, but I am NOT a painter. What is the average some of you more experienced airbrushers spend on a good airbrush. With regular cleaning and maintenance do they last pretty much forever like a real paint gun ? Any help is appreciated ...

Well, I am no expert, novice at best, but I started with a Badger 350, and hated it. No offence to Badger or those like Badger. I then spent the money for a dual stage air brush, and bought a Iwata Revolution. I could not be happier. In one of the threads I had posted, someone made the comment that I would actually love it. They where right. The message I learned is spend the money on good equipment, it is worth it in the end. I hope that helps.

I have a Badger 350 that I rarely use anymore, a Badger 155 that is still my fave when I'm painting car bodies, and a Renegade (Badger) Velocity for fine detail work. I recently picked up a Paasche Talon TG3F set on sale. It has three different needle and tip assemblies and is fast becoming my favorite of them all.

My compressor is a Bear Air basic with a really good regulator/moisture trap.

I like http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/airbrushes1.html This is where I purchased the TG3F, it's $109.

G

Edited by Agent G

My primary A/B right now is an Iwata HP-BCS (love it), secondary for large work is my Badger Crescendo, sold the Paasche, and last but not least is my ultimate favorite prized piece which is an untouched brand new Thayer and Chandler. (cant bring myself to open the tie downs on it that hold it into the velvet case.)

I've got two Badger 200 airbrushes that I picked up last year when Micheals had em on clearance for 20 bucks (yep I said 20 bucks)new and still in the boxes . I ordered two quick disconnects for both AB's and THAT made just as big of difference as having an internal mix AB over the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH Badger 350 AB I started off with! The QD's make things nice for a quick swap out of ABs if one is giving me a lot of static in the middle of a big job. Just switch out AB's real quick and continue working. I also use a Badger 1/6 HP compressor that is super quiet in the mornings (about 4 am) to not wake anybody else in the house. I have had really good luck with the 200's so far. I do have a Renegade Velocity if I get down to the detail work though.

I have an Iawata Eclipse HP-CS gravity feed and is great but when I bought the Paasche Talon TG3F set it became my favorite. It is the nicest airbrush Paasche has ever made. The large paint cup is especially nice. The cheap knock offs are bad because poor machining tolerances they need extra O-rings and seals that wear out. Please checkout Don Wheeler's excellent airbrush review site at this link https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/ before buying anything.

Edited by 935k3

I have a Badger 350 that I rarely use anymore, a Badger 155 that is still my fave when I'm painting car bodies, and a Renegade (Badger) Velocity for fine detail work. I recently picked up a Paasche Talon TG3F set on sale. It has three different needle and tip assemblies and is fast becoming my favorite of them all.

My compressor is a Bear Air basic with a really good regulator/moisture trap.

I like http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/airbrushes1.html This is where I purchased the TG3F, it's $109.

G

Wayne, this has me intrigued. IIRC, the 155 is a single needle/tip dual action AB that will spray anything from a tight fine line to a very wide pattern. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of someone not liking their 155. What is it about the Talon TG3F with its three needles/tips that make you prefer it over the 155? (I don't own either, but I'm always "looking".)

Monty, I have an Anthem 155 and the Talon. I like the 155 for bigger stuff but the Talon does have a smaller tip(.38 mm) and it is gravity feed. Once you try gravity feed you will definitely like it better, it atomizes paint better at lower psi. It sprays pre-thinned paints like Alclad better than a siphon(jar) feed. The Talon has a bigger cup than most gravity feed airbrushes. It also has a needle limiter that lets you use it like a single action airbrush(see pic below)

491465talon.jpg

Edited by 935k3

Monty, I have an Anthem 155 and the Talon. I like the 155 for bigger stuff but the Talon does have a smaller tip(.38 mm) and it is gravity feed. Once you try gravity feed you will definitely like it better, it atomizes paint better at lower psi. It sprays pre-thinned paints like Alclad better than a siphon(jar) feed. The Talon has a bigger cup than most gravity feed airbrushes. It also has a needle limiter that lets you use it like a single action airbrush(see pic below)

491465talon.jpg

What he said! LOL

Sorry for the delay, My pain meds put me out early last night.

What Dale said pretty much sums it up for me as well. That limiter allows me to get into detail painting a heck of a lot easier. Remember I'm primarily a armor/figure modeler so intricate patterns, fine lines and lots of shading are the norm. Ditto the color cup.

I will say this though, I have had the 155 for 15 years or so. Learning to paint a basic double action AB is is invaluable. The muscle memory involved with trigger control is key. It was super easy to adapt to the Talon after that.

Sounds like I'm teaching basic firearms, LOL.

G

491465talon.jpg

Now THATS an airbrush!!! Tooltruck is coming today and that thing is all mine!!! Thanks for sharing that. I think its just what Ive been looking for in the best of both worlds. .

Edited by mustang1989

That Talon looks nice and I found you can get a kit that includes three sizes of tips PLUS an auto style fan tip for a 3 inch spray pattern.

The needle limiter is cool too - right now I just loosen the needle, pull it out to, and tighten again to get a "single action" action on my Eclipse - I'm going to look into the Talon.

For anybody thinking about getting the Talon get the TG-3F set that comes with all three tips .22mm, .38 mm,.66mm and the fan spray head. It also include a hose and a hanger for the airbrush. This will cover all your needs and isn't that much more. I got mine on Amazon for $105 with free shipping.

Edited by 935k3

In my search for a new AB, I found this add on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PAASCHE-TG-2L-TALON-AIRBRUSHES-Dual-Action-Airbrush-/190931315415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7464aad7

Broken down that comes to $61 and change per AB, shipping is free from the distributor . in order to get these we would need to have all 6 of them spoken for before ordering. As I said before, I'll let me trade feedback speak for itself if you're worried about getting burned. Three of them are already spoken for, we need 3 more people interested in getting an AB for about half price. PM me if you are interested.

I actually found this jewel available from my Matco Tools truck vendor that frequents the shop weekly for 72 bucks and can pay it out! It should be here next week.

KingSix:I was going to take you up on your offer for those 6 airbrushes. The only thing that stopped me was the truck can warranty mine. Thanks for the offer pal, Joe