Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari Aficianados, need your help....

I am in process of building ESCI's Ferrari 250 SWB. I want to build it as close to the real car as possible but don't have very good reference material. Does anyone have good dtailed pics of the interior, engine bay, suspension, chassis and under body??

Was the underside of the body painted body color?

Did the 62 SWB have the tan colored interior?

Thanks in advance on any and all help.

Unfortunately that Esci kit is quite a dog... I had one, but when I realized how badly off the body was I got rid of it.

The grille opening and front bumpers are the wrong shape in a major way, as is the side-view/rear roofline...

Since the 250 SWB is one of may favorite Ferrais, I am determined to build one eventually, but hopefully from an Italeri kit, which I hear is much better.

It is, however, quite rare and no reissue in sight, especially since Revell failed to do so last year due to some licencing issues with Italeri - apparently :(

As for your other questions, I'm no expert, but I don't think undersides were body color, but black with aluminium/silver details, and, although I think there were no factory cars with a tan interior, I have seen pictures of restored cars with a tan/beige interior. Just google it, there's lots online ;)

Good luck with the kit, also... Would like to see it :D

No one knows more about 1/24-25 Ferrari kits than Alex Kustov (http://italianhorses.net). Here's his review of the kit:

250 GT SWB

One of first plastic kits of SWB. Body proportions are off, window trim is not accurate. Moldings are crude, and require a lot of cleanup. Some parts (such as grille) are slightly incorrect shape and a little on a heavy side. Detailing is average. Full engine (hood is molded shut though) and suspension details, nice interior detail and chassis frame. Tires are awful, as well as the 2-piece wire wheels. Decals are usually nice (depends on issue year and batch), instructions are good and clear. Could be built into a nice shelf model, although not exactly accurate. Will require some modifications, scratch building, and new wheel/tire combo to look correct. Out of production, and becoming rare, especially mint copies.

Here's a detailed site on a 1961 nuts-and-bolts recreation:

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1141-Ferrari-250%20SWB%20Comp%20Recreation%20-3.0%20Litre%2012-Cylinde

ultimatecarpage.com is a wealth of information:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=search.php&keys=ferrari+250+gt+swb&method=0

Michael Sheehan is arguably the most knowledgeable Ferrari dealer anywhere. Here's one he sold:

http://ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-250SWB-3409

And, of course, Google is your best friend.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&q=ferrari+250+gt+swb&gbv=2&oq=ferrari+250+gt+swb&gs_l=img.12..0l3j0i5l6j0i24.1896.7547.0.10065.18.14.0.4.4.0.127.1122.12j2.14.0....0...1ac.1.24.img..0.18.1143.JbdJDV0_QC8

Edited by sjordan2

The Gunze kit was the best 250 SWB. It wasn't 100% but much better than all of the others. Funny story - The Aurora Ferrari GTO started out as a 250 SWB but before it hit production a last minute change was ordered to make it a GTO. That is why the proportions of it are so odd It has the SWB chassis!

WB of 250 SWB and GTO are same. 2400mm

Last photo in post 3 is 250 high roof Elena coupe, not SWB.

Comp SWB's either sanction 1 or SEFAC have ribbed gearboxes. Not ribbed, not a comp, but a lusso (not Lusso). Or comp with wrong box.

Italeri is probably sl better than Protar. Esci is best left in box.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/cg/2175/Ferrari-250-GT-SWB-Berlinetta-Comp-61.html

Also, 2689 is SEFAC I know very well, shown FCA long time, took 1st with 2689 20+yrs ago. Bruce Meyer has it now. Essentially a GTO with SWB body.

Hopefully Italeri will reissue sometime. They at least reissued the 993's.

2689 1st pic, SEFAC, sanction 2, look at door window line.

Lower pic is sanction 1, early comp.

True comps do not have air cleaners, they have airbox around 3 carbs with stacks. I don't remember if any kit has correct airbox off top of head.

Individual cars occasionally had 6 carbs, but factory correct is 3.

Almost forgot. Funny shield on L exhaust on SEFAC is to prevent fuel flowing from external filer down fender onto exhaust tips. Early comps didn't have that. Exhausts should be SNAP extractors BTW, on comp SWB, GTO. Never found good scale source, so make own.

61-Ferrari-250GT_Comp_SWB_DV-11-PAM_01.j

37243.jpg

Edited by keyser

Yeah,the kit is a dog.But if you only want a shelf model it's alright.But you'll have to decide which car(chassis#) you want to build-early or late.There were some differences in side window shape(see above pics),brake cooling slot placement on the competition cars,gas filler cap placement,and some other details.Consult as many references as you can find for all the differences and build accordingly.Good luck!

Edited by ZTony8

Wow, and WOW. I didn't know the Esci kit was that bad. Having never seen the other kits I wouldn't know what to compare it to. Thanks for the great great info guys. At least now I know what I'm up against. I think it'll be a well built shelf model until I can find the Iteleri version of this kit and build a better built model from that one.

250 SWB's are my favorite of the Ferrari family, but then I like 'em all to......

Thanks a ton for all the info provided, I will be scoring these web sites and looking for a better mouse trap....er, I mean SWB!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info Gerry. Are the Italeri kits easily available? Or are they getting hard to find?

They're scarce as Hens Teeth unfortunately. Model Factory Hiro does one as well, but its a multi-media $280 plus kit and MFH has decided to not renew their Ferrari license. The Italeri shows up on EBAY every once in a while, but the last time I checked they were going in the $100 territory.

I had the ESCI 250 from years back and simply "appropriated" chassis and other parts to go into a resin 250 GT Lusso that'll be on the bench after we move back to Washington state next year.

Gerry

The Italeri 250 California Spyder lives on as the Academy "European Classic Car" kit. Academy (a Korean model company) is leasing the Italeri tools to produce the kit, but has apparently never received approval from Ferrari, so they can't put the name on the box. I scored mine, shipped, for around $25.00 on Ebay. If you don't mind having to source Ferrari scripts and Cavallinos, it's a fantastic deal. I keep checking Ebay to see if Academy has gotten the 250 SWB tool since Revell doesn't seem to want it.

I have about 40 Ferrari kits stretching from the 166 Barchetta (Model factory Hiro) up to the F12 Berlinetta with two LaFerraris on order. Almost all are 1/24 scale. A few are 1/20 racing and two 1/12 F1 cars.

If ya hear someone rattling yer windows it's just me...... LMBO, juss kiddin. I only have about five Ferrari kits. Love the Italian Horses though....

• 7 years later...
On 11/15/2013 at 12:56 AM, DrKerry said:

Got it, so I may be doing some modifications to the Esci kit to make it right!!! Thanks Gerry

Hey, Kerry, just happened to come upon this : Have you ever built an SWB?

I have bought myself all 3 different versions from ESCI back in 1985, built 2 of them with some modifications and sold off the 3rd.  Maybe I will post pics this weekend.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:31 PM, 1959scudetto said:

Hey, Kerry, just happened to come upon this : Have you ever built an SWB?

I have bought myself all 3 different versions from ESCI back in 1985, built 2 of them with some modifications and sold off the 3rd.  Maybe I will post pics this weekend.

Yes, I built one not to long ago.. Esci kit!!