Model Cars Magazine Forum

1070 1/2 Camaro Z-28

fantacmet

This is the AMT kit, and I've got it in 2 tone, citrus yellow and plum crazy. I like the combo but am not too sure about the demarcation line path. What do y'all think?

Interior is white and black, out of the box except for a steering wheel from the Dukes of Hazzard Roadrunner, and a turn signal stalk I made myself. I also added door locks.

Engine I drilled the distributor, added detail master plug wires, added heater hoses and made an oil dipstick.

Chassis is pretty much stock except I'm adding the traction bars shown. They will have the Lakewood decals which I am also making. License plates I have made up and are waiting.

post-12795-0-94752300-1384743150_thumb.j

post-12795-0-63623900-1384743151_thumb.j

post-12795-0-26546200-1384743152_thumb.j

post-12795-0-55691000-1384743152_thumb.j

post-12795-0-85134800-1384743152_thumb.j

post-12795-0-11491500-1384743153_thumb.j

The green is ok, purple with it, not so much. Nice work otherwise so far. I didnt know they made Camaros in 1070! :P:lol:

I'm inclined to agree with Lee on the color choice, but the rest looks great, and we thought our ansectors were riding horses while all along there riding in camaros, who knew?!!! :lol:;)

Everything looks good from where I sit. Colors are a personal choice, it's your build paint it what pleases you.

One thing about two tones though, regardless of colors. Look at the Camaro's body, it's all curves and flowing lines. You have a sharp angle where the purple comes over the top of the car and then carries forward at the rear fender. To me, just me now, that seems jarring on such a curvy car. If that were a more flowing transition I believe it would look better.

Don't change a thing, maybe just think about these issues on the next one.

G

I think the issue with the colors has more to do with where the separation line is at. I think it would look better if the purple was on the lower half of the car and there was a bright red or silver line or pinstripe to separate the two.

If you are happy with the colors, then tweak them to your liking.

The colors and color location I like. Just not the demarcation line. As for it being straight I'm ok with that too, but the way in which it comes down off there not so much. Which is why I wanted the second opinion. I'll be trying to today to relocate it. The paint is in pre-clear stage so it's fine to alter it. I do realize I have some touchup on the interior door panels on the drivers side at the top where test fitting into the body has torn it up a bit. Not so sure in the pinstripe though, I don't know if I could get it masked well. Which is also why the demarcation line is the way it is. I'm not so great matching it up side to side.

The updated body does look a lot better and even better when it's cleared . I also like the black and white interior and the engine detailing looks good too .

As far as the year goes . . . we all know what year it is , the main thing is that you got the 1/2 part right ! :D

All the details look great. I never had a problem with the colors. All it needs to make it pop is a bright accent color, like a decal or pinstripe (yellow?) to help soften the transition of the colors or add relief. Nothing too bold though.

Edited by Lunajammer

Michael, I agree with some others on the color combo being unusual , it is your choice and the rest of the build is great. On the color break you might look for some old Camaro references from around the 1975+ model years. Chevrolet made a model they called the "Rally Sport". It was little more than a paint treatment, but they used a tutone trim that went from the top edge of the front fender and followed the bottom edge of the side windows. The line then went parallel with the back edge of the side window onto the roof and then over too meet the other side. You might try something like that with some tape to see what you think.

I've been considering the pinstripe. Either a nice hugger orange, or a silver. The silver would be more subtle and modern, while the orange would be a bit more garish and older style which is kind of what I'm going for. Afterall it's going to have the solid centerline style wheels on it.

That paint job reminds me of some of the cars that ran around here in the early 80's. colors look ok but a thin pinstripe to break up the colors would finish it off.

First thing I thought to myself.. 1980's Hot Rod Magazine .. I think it looks pretty durn cool !!!