Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the weirdest kit in your stash?

On 1/7/2018 at 9:23 AM, PierreR89 said:

This is the weirdest kit i have.
IMG_20180107_151424.thumb.jpg.67a4d78040211bd1ef3162c8a35d8594.jpg

One really has to wonder what somebody thought the market was for this thing. 1/200 isn't even a railroad scale, is it? Or is it? 

Hey, is this the same thing that was in Ripley's Believe It Or Not in yesterday's Sunday comics? 

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

One really has to wonder what somebody thought the market was for this thing. 1/200 isn't even a railroad scale, is it? Or is it? 

Same scale as this other oddball Revell-Germany kit, the North Cormorant Oil Platform.  Even in 1/200, you need a LOT of room to build and display this one.  I've read that scratch-builders bought these to get a good supply of structural-type parts: tresses, beams, etc.  This is one of many kits that seem to go in and out of production pretty often.  It seems to be available right now. Tower has it for $152.95, and so do some Amazon vendors.

oil-rig.jpg

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I, for one, would love to have one since I'm into strange and unusual subjects. 

As for your question of if this is in a railroad scale, being a model railroader as well, it is not. The most common scales in model railroading, when it comes to layouts anyway, are:

O gauge 1/48th scale

HO gauge 1/87th scale 

N gauge 1/160th scale

A couple other somewhat common scales, though not quite as popular as the three above, are 

G Gauge 1/22.5th scale, though it sometimes depends on manufacturer and can range from 1/20th to 1/32nd scale

S Gauge 1/64th scale 

Z scale 1/220th scale

Even though I don't really consider this "weird", it is how sometimes my model railroading combines with my car modeling. This is an N scale tow truck I picked up only because it was something that appealed to me because everything I have in my model railroad collection is HO scale. 

HPIM1743.thumb.JPG.3cc4c88f825bbca58e267cc1acb5f007.JPG

HPIM1742.thumb.JPG.8b11a9557f4365f741bae7a27e8de8c8.JPG

HPIM1738.thumb.JPG.43dbb442aa1c6206ff628d0fb9c30564.JPG

Z Scale trains are approximately 1/200 (1/220, to be precise). Diecast and plastic commercial model aircraft, large scale model ships and some other assorted floo-flah are made to this scale. Revell AG also produced this baby which could bookend the excavator on your shelf.

Image result for Off-Shore Oilrig North Cormorant 1:200 Scale Plastic Model Kit 08803

Image result for Off-Shore Oilrig North Cormorant 1:200 Scale Plastic Model Kit 08803

Pretty impressive.