Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the weirdest kit in your stash?

Another weird one in the Sci-Fi/Military category - 2 of those flying saucers guest-starred on the box art of the TAKOM 1/144 Landkreuzer P1000 "Ratte."  The saucers are firing some kind of Nazi Death Ray, I guess. 

The Ratte kit does NOT include any flying saucers. But it does include 2 100-ton monster "Maus" tanks, to provide scale.  Yep, this thing is exactly what it looks like - a naval gun turret (from a heavy cruiser) sitting on a multi-story tall tank chassis.  With power maybe provided by two 24-cylinder diesel submarine engines.

I guess this idea just shows how delusional Hitler was.  Trying to put that 1000-ton tank into production would have strained the industrial capacity of all the Allied nations combined, let alone wartime Germany. It would have probably consumed enough resources to build the vehicles for an entire Panzer Division.  And if a Ratte had made it to the battlefield, it would have been swiftly bombed out of existence. Despite its on-board anti-aircraft guns.  Bizarre...but fun!

TAKOM-3001-1-144-Scale-Landkreuzer-P1000-Ratte-Panzer-VIII-Maus_jpg_640x640.jpg

Wow, would be a crazy sight if you puit it next to the Dora railway gun in the same scale:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/115182-soar-art-workshop-n-a-dora-railway-gun

I once saw that Dora gun built at a modelshow I was at. It dwarfed every other model that was there.

The link goes to a 1:35 Dora, but the kit above is 1:144 scale.

The link goes to a 1:35 Dora, but the kit above is 1:144 scale.

Yes I was refering to the post made by Agent G/Wayne above mine of a guy scratchbuilding that monster tank in 1:35 scale. I remember that the guy that had built the Dora gun had bought lathe-turned aluminium gunbarrel for it and lots of photoetch and other stuff. The model had cost him well above 10 000 kroner (more than 1100$) in parts alone. It was so big and heavy that they put it on four tables at the show to spread the wheight of it and avoid people getting to close. The also needed to use a van to transport it and two guys to carry it in to the show. It is the biggest plastic model I have seen and the only bigger model I have seen was a 1:4 scale remote control tank that was so big the guy that owned it could sit on it:lol:

OK. Sorry, Gaute, I just jumped the gun is all. Soar Art does a 1:144 80cm Dora, and even it is huge, but Hobby Boss does it in 1:72 scale, and that's the one I want. Affordable, large and cool; what's not to like? Not as gargantuan as the Dora, I do at least have the Trumpeter 1:35 self propelled mortar, the type used at the siege of Sevastopol.

Karl.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

OK. Sorry, Gaute, I just jumped the gun is all. Soar Art does a 1:144 80cm Dora, and even it is huge, but Hobby Boss does it in 1:72 scale, and that's the one I want. Affordable, large and cool; what's not to like? Not as gargantuan as the Dora, I do at least have the Trumpeter 1:35 self propelled mortar, the type used at the siege of Sevastopol.

Karl.jpg

No worries:) That gun also looks cool. I like to see that type of kit built at shows but personally I would never buy one. It is just too big, too many parts and too much references for me. They are very impressive and I do admire the work that goes in to these beasts.

• 2 weeks later...

..............and its RIGHT there on the BOXTOP ladies and gentlemen how big it is!!! 60cm x 54 cm. Sometimes we miss the very basics folks........sorry%20bout%20dat_zps1nny96hw.gif

You're not referring to the self-propelled Mörser Karl-Gerät above, are you, Joe? In that particular case, 60cm and 54cm are the two calibers the mortar can be built/displayed as.

I don't know if I have anything weird per se, but I have some kits that aren't common. 

Heller 1/43 scale Leyland Princess 2000.

Esci 1/24 Ford Transit - not particularly weird, but people find it strange that I want to build models of a pretty normal cargo van.

Fujimi 1/24 Chev Astro van - as above. ;)

Another van fan!  My people! 

If you haven't seen the notice under the "Reviews" section, Italeri is re-issuing the Ford Transit van this year. I have 2 of the ESCI version in "Canon" markings but will probably get another one.  Or five...

When that FUJIMI Astro van came out, it was the first new 1/24 American van kit released in many, many years.  I have 2 of the Chevy version and a GMC.  My favorite is probably the "Field Liner." It includes roof carriers and a mountain bike with photo-etched metal spokes.

astro_1.JPG

A bone stock passenger van is kind of weird. Definitely not a "cool" subject. But that's why I dig it. I don't want to build the same old same old. 

No disrespect to the muscle car fans, as I appreciate those as well, but I don't want to build the millionth version of a Charger or a Mustang. I like the stuff that stands out, that you don't see every day. I look at the build threads here, and I want to do something you just don't see everyday. I just hope my skills do some of my oddball stuff justice!

A bone stock passenger van is kind of weird. Definitely not a "cool" subject. But that's why I dig it. I don't want to build the same old same old. 

No disrespect to the muscle car fans, as I appreciate those as well, but I don't want to build the millionth version of a Charger or a Mustang. I like the stuff that stands out, that you don't see every day. I look at the build threads here, and I want to do something you just don't see everyday. I just hope my skills do some of my oddball stuff justice!

Same here with me. I like a lot of oddball stuff and I have always had a thing for plain-janes (dog dish hub caps, bench seat, four door sedan, cheapest version with no frills) and wagons and pickups and that is why my collection mostly consist of that. I don't have many muscle cars or pony car kits and almost no sports cars at all. I have one Ferrari kit and a couple of Porsche kits. My latest Ebay purchase was a 1928 Praga AN made by MAC:

A small truck, in todays world it would be called a pickuptruck and in the US a small one at that.

I don't mind a Charger or a Mustang, especially if it's a version that isn't normally kitted.  I've taken a couple of high end muscle cars and "downgraded" them to base models, like a '71 Charger RT into a base Charger and a GSX into a Skylark Custom.  They both turned out really well.