Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the weirdest kit in your stash?

I built that AMT Clydesdale set & the 1/87 scale Jordan Highway Miniatures

kit tor a great aunt (Grandmother's sister)

I got both when she passed.

Sadly the AMT kit is missing parts

Wonder why that one was not re-issued yet!

The cynic in me says "by weird you mean something that isn't a muscle car or '50's car, right?" :lol:

On a serious note, though, I'd have to say the weirdest kit I have in my stash is one o' these things...

mule_team_kit_.jpg

Wow, that is cool. Is there any mention of a commercial sponsor? I remember the TV show Death Valley Days was sponsored by "20 mule team Borax" soap and thought there might be a tie in. Sorry, showing my age here a little bit. By the way, one of the hosts of the show was Ronald Reagan.

Edited by Pete J.

When that kit was first offered as a premium with the Borax soap (I think you had to send in a form and a small amount of cash like a quarter) Borax was indeed the sponsor and it was mentioned on the box. Later, those kits were sold by museums in the west as souvenirs. Ronald Reagan was the host of the program. I had one of these kits from Borax and I wish I had it back.

That is cool, never knew it existed until now. Seeing it reminded me of this wooden stagecoach kit. I had one as a kid but it got destroyed the same night GI Joe blew up Barbies 747 Friendship.....

42525.jpg

Your parents must have been so proud. :lol:

Finally.

Back on track.

I don't have it yet but I will very soon.

_3-9_zpsfsspgpgd.jpeg

I finished one of those a few months ago. I strongly suggest planning ahead on the forward glass. All the other windows fit flush from the inside, and look good. The forward windows install from the outside, and are right on seam lines. Difficult to get right.

I painted the inside of the craft black, and used plenty of Future, and like how most of the windows came out, but a couple of the front ones are actually black paint.

Decals are SUPER thin too. Difficult to work with, but beautiful. The SpaceShip One component has bad sink marks on the booms as well, which I caught too late to fix.

wk3_zpsljfb9f8i.jpgwk2_zps5qbc6dgp.jpg

Edited by Harry Joy

Not trying to sound sarcastic, but what was the point/function of this aircraft? or spaceship?!?

It is both airplane and spaceship. The first flying example crashed earlier this year on a flight testing new engines, but there is another getting readied. It's purpose is near earth space tourism and research.

I finished one of those a few months ago. I strongly suggest planning ahead on the forward glass. All the other windows fit flush from the inside, and look good. The forward windows install from the outside, and are right on seam lines. Difficult to get right.

I painted the inside of the craft black, and used plenty of Future, and like how most of the windows came out, but a couple of the front ones are actually black paint.

Decals are SUPER thin too. Difficult to work with, but beautiful. The SpaceShip One component has bad sink marks on the booms as well, which I caught too late to fix.

wk3_zpsljfb9f8i.jpgwk2_zps5qbc6dgp.jpg

Thanks for the tips. Yours came really nice. I drive by the place that built space ship 1 in Mojave, Ca. Ive seen the real aircraft in the air a few times. I drove by the place 9 times this. When they had that crash a few months back I was out there a couple hours before it happened.

Thanks for the tips. Yours came really nice. I drive by the place that built space ship 1 in Mojave, Ca. Ive seen the real aircraft in the air a few times. I drove by the place 9 times this. When they had that crash a few months back I was out there a couple hours before it happened.

Thanks! Oh, one more tip - I think this was the first kit I ever built where the instructions recommend you use filler in one spot. The instructions were right, the part is near impossible to fit without filler.

Actually, I believe that it is Larger. 1/20 or even 1/18.

I built one MANY years ago, and got it back a few years later

The Driver figure, and Dog look Too large to be 1/25

I almost believe that it did have 1/20 scale marking on the one I built

But, Bot sure where that box or instruction sheet is

Where tha hek does one display something like that? I think I saw a 1/200 scale Bismark last year from Trumpeter and wondered about that then. :mellow:

They were initially made for promotional bar lights.

33182406.jpg

1970s_Budweiser_Clydesdale_Rotating_Caro

Only after the contract with Anheuser Busch was filled, they became available as kits for the retail market.

Edited by Junkman