Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "S" word...

Harry P.

NW suburban Chicago... view out my front door glass, Monday, Feb. 17, 4:17 PM Central. Don't be fooled by the relatively clear driveway across the street... my crazy neighbor (yeah, he's a Packers fan) has been out shoveling during the snowstorm. Check my mailbox there at the curb... it's probably 4 feet off the ground. Then look at the snow... :lol:

BTW... it's also been thundering today! :blink:

Looks like a Nissan is blocking your mailbox.

Looks like a Nissan is blocking your mailbox.

Happened here. My wife was unaccustomed to having a curbside mail box and parked the van in front of it. The mailman didn't deliver the mail, but gave us a form stating our mail wasn't delivered because the mailbox was blocked... the irony is that he had to get out of the truck and put this in the mailbox... so why didn't he put our mail in at the same time??

Roy, a lot could happen between now and tomorrow's morning rush hour. I'm hopin' for the better as luck would have it, I have to be in "rush hour" tomorrow morning as well. Usually when I make appointments for the morning, they are 'bout 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. so that I can avoid "rush hour." But not tomorrow and not Friday afternoon either, sometimes it just works out that way. Cheer up, spring IS comin'.

Well Nick, the morning rush wasn't bad...this evening it's another story. a normally 20 min drive took me over an hour!!

I'll try to keep telling myself, spring is coming..spring is coming...spring is :blink: ..on the way!! Hee Hee Hee

Well Nick, the morning rush wasn't bad...this evening it's another story. a normally 20 min drive took me over an hour!!

Today is a holiday, I'm surprised there was traffic at all. Me? I worked from home. Amazing. I was out of work a year and working from my home office looking for a job. I wanted out of here so bad I could scream... so the job I find has me working in the exact same position. I sooo need to get out of the house!

So far (and we're not done yet)... this is the 5th snowiest winter EVER in the Chicago area.

The other evening they said on the Philadelphia news that we were a fraction of an inch away from number two. Then it snowed Saturday. We've had over 55 inches so far this year. It seems number one spot (2010) is within grasp if it snows the 2-4" we expect over night. I'm working from home again tomorrow so I don't care if it snows again. I'm frickin numb to it at this point.

I just checked.. officially in third place with 54.8, we should hit second with 55.9 but don't want to go anywhere near first with 73.1"

Edited by Tom Geiger

Was 1967 in the top 5 ?

Ten Snowiest Winters in Chicago History

1) 89.7" in 1978-1979

2) 82.3" in 1977-1978

3) 77" in 1969-1970

4) 68.4" in 1966-1967

5) 66.4" in 1951-1952

6) 64.1" in 1917-1918

7) 60.3" in 2007-2008

8) 59.5" in 1903-1904

8) 59.5" in 1964-1965

10) 59.3" in 1981-1982

If this will go down as the 5th snowiest, I guess I've lived through all of the top five.

My next door neighbor was kind enough to plow out the entrance and the apron of my driveway tonight, before I got out to shovel/plow. Saved me a lot of work, so I guess I "owe him."

The neighbor's kids do that for us when the snow isn't too bad, and even then we go and finish off everything with a snow blower to get the snow deeper into the yards then clear a path for the mailman. I have to work tomorrow, so I don't know if Dad is going to run the snowblower at all or just let the warmer weather melt it away.

So my father-in-law from Chicago books a trip to Charlotte at Christmas time to come visit us. As January wears on, he is tired of the snow and looking forward to visiting us in search of warmer weather and no snow.

Last Friday he was to leave for Charlotte and his flight was delayed because of snow.....IN CHARLOTTE ! He gets in a couple hours later than originally scheduled but does make it.

Last night he printed off his boarding pass to return to Chicago lamenting leaving here because we are having a warm up into the 60's! Two hours after printing his boarding pass he gets a message that his flight to Chicago on Tuesday morning has been cancelled due to weather ! He does get on a later flight this evening but he mentioned something about just staying (ain't happening!) until the snow melts in Chicago.

Looking at that list Harry, I guess I survived 6 of the snowiest winters in Chicago history and it would have been 8 if I hadn't moved 9 years ago. You all have my sympathy as I can honestly say I don't miss it. We got 8 inches of the stuff last week and it is gone thanks to the sun and warmer temperatures.

Happened here. My wife was unaccustomed to having a curbside mail box and parked the van in front of it. The mailman didn't deliver the mail, but gave us a form stating our mail wasn't delivered because the mailbox was blocked... the irony is that he had to get out of the truck and put this in the mailbox... so why didn't he put our mail in at the same time??

Tom, while it probably won't do you any good to do it anyway, you should call your local Postmaster and tell him that story and ask him the very same question.