Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ed Roth Outlaw - 24 hour build

Nacho Z

I thought I would share my finished 24 hour build. My goal, as well as the original intent of the original group, was to finish an unstarted kit in 24 hours. I alway strive to finish my kit in the 24 hour time frame. I understand that to do this short-cuts must be taken. I choose kits that I think I can finish and kits that I never planned on detailing to the max. So is the case with this model. I came close to finishing it but didn't quite make it. I worked on it here and there and finished it last night.

It is definitely a "3 footer". Maybe more like 10 feet :wacko: . The decals were the worst I've ever used, (and I build mainly race cars.) I used so much Solvaset, which did nothing BTW, that the EPA paid me a visit. You can see the many wrinkles in the pictures. There was a ton of flash but fortunately they chromed all of it :blink: . The only thing missing is the windshield glass. It was unusable. It is very important to get the frame square as everything builds off of it. I did not get mine perfectly square and had minor fit problems the rest of the way.

DSC00471-vi.jpg

DSC00460-vi.jpg

DSC00466-vi.jpg

DSC00462-vi.jpg

DSC00463-vi.jpg

Edited by Nacho Z

This looks very nice, just one small point for your future models, when you have fairly large decals to set over complex curves have decal softening solution and a small hair dryer handy......soften the decals with the solution, heat them with the hair dryer and carefull work them down with a damp q-tip cotten swab.......take your time and you will be rewarded with smooth decals. over-all, nice job on a vintage kit.

This looks very nice, just one small point for your future models, when you have fairly large decals to set over complex curves have decal softening solution and a small hair dryer handy......soften the decals with the solution, heat them with the hair dryer and carefull work them down with a damp q-tip cotten swab.......take your time and you will be rewarded with smooth decals. over-all, nice job on a vintage kit.

Thanks Peter! I know about the tricks for decals. Because I was doing the 24 hour build at someone else's house I had to pack up everything I could think of and take it with me. A hair dryer was not even on my radar, (it doesn't help that I am bald....hair dryers are never on my radar :lol: ).

man, I have to hand it to you, you did a very very good job on that hard to build model, and in that limited time frame, that's pretty incredible. decals don't even look bad and I know what you mean about solvaset not working on them but it came out looking very nice.

jb

I like this thread for three VERY important reasons----

1) This is a really great build --- very well done!!!

2) Someone (Peter) took the time to actually offer some really great tips for improving the build

and of course ...

3) John fielded the suggestion in stride and with a lot of class---

We need a lot more of this type of interchange on the forum ---

Just my two cents ---

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Thanks for all of the comments guys. I think the pictures hide a multitude of sins. Notice there are no straight on shots...lol.

I like this thread for three VERY important reasons----

1) This is a really great build --- very well done!!!

2) Someone (Peter) took the time to actually offer some really great tips for improving the build

and of course ...

3) John fielded the suggestion in stride and with a lot of class---

We need a lot more of this type of interchange on the forum ---

Just my two cents ---

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

That is a very nice post Bill. I was fortunate enough to meet Peter at NNL East two years ago, (I believe). I knew his models from this board. I found him beside them and struck up a conversation. What a nice guy! He was actually going to give me something, at no charge, but I had to decline as I knew I would never use it. How nice was that?!?! I am thankful we have folks like Peter and soooo many others here who will take the time to log in, put their thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc on-line. They take time to take pictures, load them up and then share them here. Wow, that is just a great thing. I am glad Peter took the time to do what he did. Hopefully someone read his post and will use his tips on their next build!

Nice work John, wrinkles or not! ;)

Hope to join in next year's 24 hour build, I've missed the last two :(

Yes Jeff, I thought we had you this year. Maybe next year buddy!