Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where do you build?

I have a desk in the master bedroom but stopped using that recently. I put up a good sized folding table right behind my living room sofa so i build there now. Don't feel so isolated and can view the larger TV. It was actually my wives idea !

She is a keeper!

Wow,you guys make me feel guilty. I have a nicely finished 10x13' room that's insulated,has a skylight,heat and AC,and speakers for music. I work on an old 4x6' drafting table. I do small painting in there,with bigger jobs in the basement.

So how come I'm not building more?

My model desk and stash is in my very chilly basement.So I don't get too much done,unfortunately,during the winter.It gets way too cold to be down there very long(and,yes,it IS heated down there)and when summer comes and the A/C is on in the house it's STILL cold down there even with the outlets closed.I put a roof on my garage last year so I'll be able to paint out there(out of the wind)instead of on the windy patio this year.

I build in the basement and the kitchen table... I have an old 6 foot stainless steel butcher block table with two 10 inch shelves over the table, from a restaurant. And an old drawing table next to it. I have a 4 foot florescent light fixture over the bench and 2 swing arm lamps that can be positioned over my work area. I built a table to hold my spray booth and have some work area on that also, with a 1 foot florescent light inside the booth and a swing arm lamp on that table as well. ( I need alot of light to see properly )

All rattle can spray painting and airbrushing are done in the basement.

I keep my project on a large cutting board so I can bring it up stairs to work at kitchen table. Where I have an antique swing arm magnifying light also..

Recently separated in October from my wife, allows me the luxury of building or having model cars where ever I choose. ( And my cat Ert don't care ) :)

Plus one 11 x 11 bedroom is my display room, where I do photography of my models on top of my display case.

I have a small folding camp table that I have set up in the livingroom. I do my small painting there and bodies and larger things in the garage.

I dont have room in the garage for much else as Im building a 1:1 Rock Buggy in there (not complaining about lack of room, we have a 4 bedroom house and only 1 child with us). The Big TV is in the livingroom though and the wife likes me to spend some time with her (even if its just being there by her).

Many years ago I worked at the kitchen table because I was doing a renovation that took away my model room. Funny thing is that I built by most iconic model there! I had a board that I used to protect the kitchen table that I'd build on. I'd clamp a lamp to the end of the table and I was ready to go! I had small kids at the time so at the end of each build session I'd put all my stuff on the board, and I'd put it up on top of the refrigerator.