Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Bonneville Hardtop Back on the Bench! 3/20/18

John Goschke

• 1 month later...

Been tough to get to the bench lately, but did get a little bit done on the Bonneville.

Scribed the panel lines where the front fenders meet the cowl...

58Bonne814_1-vi.jpg

Starting shaving off the fender ornaments...

58Bonne814_2-vi.jpg

Got the headlights, taillights, and rear bumper back from plating at Little Motor Kar Co...

58Bonne814_3-vi.jpg

58Bonne814_4-vi.jpg

58Bonne814_5-vi.jpg

I also had Dale plate the dash and steering wheel to save foiling work down the line!

58Bonne814_6-vi.jpg

58Bonne814_7-vi.jpg

Now that the '58 Ford is finished I can get back on another neglected project, this '58 Bonneville. Worked on fixing some nagging issues. Weak cowl vent detail resolved a with piece notched in from an AMT '58 Impala. Shaved the front fender ornament "jets" off and replaced the fender top raised crease detail with filed-down .030 triangle strip. Made a clear PVC windshield and replaced some damaged moldings at the rear of the roof with styrene strip. Good to have this one moving again!

2v2JAtHd2xE7U1V.jpg2v2JAtH5DxE7U1V.jpg2v2JAtHrmxE7U1V.jpg

I'm glad to see this one back on your bench.  It is looking ever so sweet with each step completed.  I look forward to seeing more.  By the way, the chrome looks flawless.?????????

John,

That one brings back memories of my Dad's first new car. A Sierra Gold '58 Impala. He had alternated between the 4-bar Lancers, and 60 Buick Wheel Covers on his car, with a set of Foxcraft Skirts. That car was so cool, and I intend to do my next '58 Chevy (either Revell or AMT) as his car, but with updated paint in the same color family, and the 4-bars, and a beige interior with white roll and pleat inserts and copper carpets. As if he still owned the car, and restored it in the 2000's.

22 hours ago, rsxse240 said:

How did you make the PVC windshield?  Where did you get the material and what thickness did you use?

Ken, I covered the kit windshield with a piece of masking tape before installing it in the body. Then I used a pencil to trace the shape of the windshield opening onto the masking tape. Next I peeled the tape off the windshield and applied it to a piece of manila file folder to create a pattern by cutting it out approximately 1/16" larger than the pencil outline. Then I cemented pieces of styrene strip inside the windshield posts and the bottom corner of the windshield about 1/16" inside the opening. The strips act as brackets to hold the windshield in place. After peeling the tape off my new folder stock pattern I  fit it inside the body and trimmed as needed to refine the fit until the pattern popped into place in the brackets and fit nicely around the opening. Then I used the pattern to cut the new "glass" out of the sheet of PVC. Before cutting I protected both sides of the PVC with masking tape. Once the new windshield was cut out and tape peeled off it was test fitted inside the body. Luckily this one popped into place without any adjustments to the fit. It sounds like a lot of work but this one only took about 1 1/2 hours and the results are sure worth it!  Thanks to Steve Boutte for persuading me to give it a try.

Here are some photos from when I did the windows in the '58 Ford...2v2ucKvMCxE7U1V.jpg2v2ucKUeGxE7U1V.jpg2v2ucKUhGxE7U1V.jpg2v2ucKUynxE7U1V.jpg2v2uw6w3gxE7U1V.jpg2v2uw6wUGxE7U1V.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, John Goschke said:

Ken, I covered the kit windshield with a piece of masking tape before installing it in the body. Then I used a pencil to trace the shape of the windshield opening onto the masking tape. Next I peeled the tape off the windshield and applied it to a piece of manila file folder to create a pattern by cutting it out approximately 1/16" larger than the pencil outline. Then I cemented pieces of styrene strip inside the windshield posts and the bottom corner of the windshield about 1/16" inside the opening. The strips act as brackets to hold the windshield in place. After peeling the tape off my new folder stock pattern I  fit it inside the body and trimmed as needed to refine the fit until the pattern popped into place in the brackets and fit nicely around the opening. Then I used the pattern to cut the new "glass" out of the sheet of PVC. Before cutting I protected both sides of the PVC with masking tape. Once the new windshield was cut out and tape peeled off it was test fitted inside the body. Luckily this one popped into place without any adjustments to the fit. It sounds like a lot of work but this one only took about 1 1/2 hours and the results are sure worth it!  Thanks to Steve Boutte for persuading me to give it a try.

Here are some photos from when I did the windows in the '58 Ford...2v2ucKvMCxE7U1V.jpg2v2ucKUeGxE7U1V.jpg2v2ucKUhGxE7U1V.jpg2v2ucKUynxE7U1V.jpg2v2uw6w3gxE7U1V.jpg2v2uw6wUGxE7U1V.jpg

That is what separates the Masters from the Wannabes.