Model Cars Magazine Forum

New project, resurrecting a '60 Ford Wagon Glue-Bomb.

Ron Hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

I made a mistake with the paint when I shot it yesterday. As soon as I started sprayng I noticed the unmistakeable stench of Testors Black Enamel, which I never intended to use on a model, but as the base coat for Alcad.

June2014MAMAMeeting024_zps2ee984fb.jpg

June2014MAMAMeeting023_zpsd348a5be.jpg

June2014MAMAMeeting003_zpsb58d04b3.jpg

I carefully stuck it together for the photgraphs at our model meeting today. I was able to save the roof rack, ad I am going to use in in the build. In a couple of weeks, I can start on the wood work and Bare Metal foiling after the paint is dry.

Hey Ron Your wagon is looking great, I don"t think I could do the wood trim and make look right, that's why mine is a Ranch wagon.

The roof rack was a factory option, the one in the kit looks close to factory.

Tony

1960_fordwagon_12_zps06e7636d.jpg

Are some of those Hubley wagons done in styrene, acetate or both?

The promos were acetate, which were light blue, and they tended to warp. I have one of those, and it has a warp in the front end. I worked some of the warp out of it, but it is still there. I have seen on where the warp has been worked out of it, so I am not going to give up on it. If I can get the warp out of it, I may just paint it up, and display it as a Country Sedan, as it is pretty nice otherwise. The kits were styrene, and were moulded in aqua, and they did not have the tendency to warp, except for the windows, which were probably acetate. Finding an un-molested kit is pretty hard to find.

I may start to work on mine, as the paint is pretty dry. It is still a little stinky, but my wife has not complained about it, as it has been in the house for a two days.

Hey Ron Your wagon is looking great, I don"t think I could do the wood trim and make look right, that's why mine is a Ranch wagon.

The roof rack was a factory option, the one in the kit looks close to factory.

Tony

1960_fordwagon_12_zps06e7636d.jpg

I have this same sheet in the box where I store the kit. I roof rack sits a little high, as I think an aftermarket rack was modeled in the kit. I drilled the holes in the roof before I painted it, so there is no turning back. There is quite a bit of chrome trim on a Country Squire, so it's going to take a while to "Bare Metal" this beast. I have quite a ways to go with the trim, but I want to book end it with my Convertible.

2008_01012007modelprojects0034.jpg

I agree Ron that the roof rack sits a little high. The parts might also be a bit thicker than the factory ones. I wouldn't abandon the holes in the roof, but I might try to bend a new rack from thinner metal stock?

I considered that, but I may be able to work on this rack. I have a couple of tricks in the arsenal. I hope to start on the wood work tonight.

Ron found this on the web, looks like something close to what you are building. I kind like the the caps and red lines on Thunder the best.

Tony

60_4rendering_zps0644eeff.jpg

Tony,

I saw those cars on the web, and I love them. I have not seen the finished car(s) yet.

I am still going for the "Restored" Replica Stock look. I may change the wheels to the '60 Ford Dog Dish Caps, with Red Steelies on half whites, but I am still leaning towards the wheelcovers and half-whites, as I would guess about 98 percent of them left the factory with.

Last night, I "Bare Metaled" this beast. It took me about 3 1/2 hours, but I got it done.

Chris,

I was able to salvage the kit roof rack after all. I want to shorten the legs on it, and touch up the chrome. Who ever built the car originally had it on sideways, and glue-bombed it on. I carefully got it apart and I straightened it out to the best of my ability.

I plan on painting the light wood framing, and adding the rivet detail tonight.

53828-500-0.jpg?rev=3

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Now we're talkin!I would two door one one these in half a heart beat and drop it to the ground.I think I'll start a search for one of these and add it to my already too long bucket list of things I like to build before I get to old to remember which end of my Exacto knife is the sharp one!

Any one with one that's available please pm me.

I was able to get a little work done on the Ford last week. I painted the light ash wood trim, Bare Metaled it, polished the paint, and added the rivet detail.

DSCF4101_zps0307a49f.jpg

WhileI was installing the rivets, I had gotten a huge smear of super glue on the roof. Fortunately, I has started polishing the paint, so the roof was pretty smooth at the time. I let the glue dry, and I was able to tape off, and polish out that section. There is a slight blemish where the smear was, but the rack covers it up. I also lowered the front end, which is a vast improvement.

DSCF4099_zps325f6abc.jpg

I plan to work on the interior and chassis this week.

DSCF4098_zpsd76ea1bc.jpg

I have some exterior touch up to do, and some accessories to add.

DSCF4100_zps0de5141c.jpg

Edited by Ron Hamilton