Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamyia TS-13 is back

Super. I have two cans left. I do decant it though and airbrush it.

Same here. I had bought a six pack of the stuff not knowing Tamiya was going to cease production. But mine have lasted and I still have a couple. Though I will get more when available.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! Whelp, there goes the eBay value of those 3 cans I've been hoarding right down the drain. Was planning on using them to fund a Caribbean vacation (or maybe just lunch at Mickey D's). Lord knows I don't make it to the clear coat stage of a project often enough to ever use up 3 cans of clear...

Martinfan5 said: Tamiya has brought back TS13 Clear , look for it in your LHS sometime around the middle to end of July

Thanks Jonathon for the heads-up on that, Very much appreciated. .

Personally, I prefer the Testors One Step Wet Look Clear - it seems to be less likely to attack the basecoat (causing the paint to pull away from door cut lines and the like), and less prone to the "bubbling" referenced above. But when you get the TS-13 it on perfectly, it does dry to a very smooth and glossy surface, whereas I find I need to rub out and wax the Testors product to get the glossy final result.

It will be interesting to see if this new formula TS-13 addresses some of its prior issues along with retaining the super glossy result.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

It's an acrylic lacquer just like Dupli-color.

So why the big fuss about it? (Not asking you specifically... just asking in general). Obviously I'm missing something here. Is it "better" than Duplicolor? I know it's a lot more expensive...

So why the big fuss about it? (Not asking you specifically... just asking in general). Obviously I'm missing something here. Is it "better" than Duplicolor? I know it's a lot more expensive...

Because it's Japanese.

Expense not withstanding, I have always had issues wth TS13. It bubbled, ran and oftimes effected the underlying paint. Each time I used it was over another Tamiya product, so I don't believe incompatibility was a factor.

The one time it did go on well it looks superb.

G

Expense not withstanding, I have always had issues wth TS13. It bubbled, ran and oftimes effected the underlying paint. Each time I used it was over another Tamiya product, so I don't believe incompatibility was a factor.

The one time it did go on well it looks superb.

G

Not exactly a rave review.

So again, I wonder... what makes this stuff so worthy of all the gushing and giddiness with some people, given the fact that there are tons of clears out there, most of which sell for a lot less per ounce?

What makes it so special? Not trying to be a jerk, I'm seriously asking, because I've never used it, but have used Duplicolor clear and been perfectly satisfied.