Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

Delahaye October!

Interior is almost ready. Seats, steering wheel and emergency brake handle are unknown series. The rear seat is modified the original. All the rest is my own design. Engine details are not yet ready. Two months still have time.

20151025_100131.thumb.jpg.c486fa501a1f77

20151025_100217.thumb.jpg.b3d73689ff1c18

Two months still have time.

Negative Ghost Rider. This CBP ends Dec 1st at 11:59PM. The moment it rolls over to Dec. 2nd, it's over.

Just 36 days left folks. Time to pull the shop manager and the boys into the office for a stern talking to, and then get them back to work! 

My team, me, myself and I are in full scramble mode to get work done to the Polara wagon, it's finally hit us.

Funny I could have sworn Jan 1st was just a "few" weeks ago.

What it's looked like for the past month or so.

12189481_769427386536459_669027824213970

And today.

I wasn't liking how the rear window was looking so I decided to cut and raise it some. Might be a gutsy move that this point but I think it'll look a little closer to a 1:1 after it's glued back on. Powerplant will be modern Hemi power out of a Magnum. Not 100% sure if I'll upgrade and put a supercharger on it yet, they are kind of loud after all but we'll see. Suspension is getting upgraded to A arm with all wheel disk brakes, donor will be a Viper I picked up several months back.

12045545_769427419869789_563603598443551

Still planning on finishing in time. About the only thing that's keeping me in is making it a beater so I don't have to get to carried away with body work or polishing a paint job.

Edited by TFchronos
Forgot photos

Hey guys as Rob said I'll be handling next years Cannonball cbp. I've had a blast each year I've been in it and am very excited to get the chance to handle one. It will be my first time handling a cbp so please bare with me. I'll try to go off of Rob's example and try to do half as good a job as he has done.

With that said I'm really liking the ideas you guys are throwing around for next year. I'm keeping note of them and will get a poll up with the six most popular say second week in Dec.? Or after voting for this years winner is done. Give everyone two or so weeks for voting then getting the main thread started on the 1st? I know the thread is usually started sooner but would that be good with everyone?

you're handling next years Cannonball oh no were doomed.:D

Seems as though it needs to be Left AND Right hand drive then!

My thoughts as I stated before was to keep it just RHD to make things interesting to see what members come up with and utilise their creative juices!!!

It's pretty easy to do a RHD conversion on a model car.  There are many cars that the instrument cluster is in the center...  Model A and all generations of Mini Cooper for instance!   And a lot of older cars had symmetrical dashes.   For instance, 55-57 Chevys were sold in Australia with RHD and on a model it's just a matter of flipping the gauge cluster to the right side, and the clock cluster to the left side.   There are a lot of kits of British to Japanese cars already RHD, and there are even some Australian resin folks offering RHD dashboards.    The new Revell of Germany Beetles have BOTH LHD and RHD dashes in the kit.

I am stoked about doing the Aussie Cannonball, even if we don't really get to run those routes! 

Edited by Tom Geiger

It's pretty easy to do a RHD conversion on a model car.  There are many cars that the instrument cluster is in the center...  Model A and all generations of Mini Cooper for instance!   And a lot of older cars had symmetrical dashes.   For instance, 55-57 Chevys were sold in Australia with RHD and on a model it's just a matter of flipping the gauge cluster to the right side, and the clock cluster to the left side.   There are a lot of kits of British to Japanese cars already RHD, and there are even some Australian resin folks offering RHD dashboards.    The new Revell of Germany Beetles have BOTH LHD and RHD dashes in the kit.

I am stoked about doing the Aussie Cannonball, even if we don't really get to run those routes! 

Agree Tom, here's what I did to a Mustang a few years ago, this was real easy....

http://www.thepartsbox.com/BB/viewtopic.php?f=231&t=3465

So... my wife just found out she may have to have surgery on her neck.  I may not be able to complete my car in time.  I will keep trying till the end.  Sorry if this causes a problem.

hope surgery goes well and wishing her a speedy recovery.

I'm going to make it this time! Just a few details to put together for the Ferrari 250 GTO ... a hood strap and a rope to tie the passenger door closed. Taillihhts are fussing and have to figure replacements for the bottom rectangular ones .. maybe some Caddy bullets I have. :)

Still here, not dead yet.

Been chipping away at the Citation and have almost got the interior built.  Bodyworks done.  Just need to build a hinge for the flip front.  Mechanically it's just a case of induction and cooling to be sorted.

Paint will need doing as well, but the beauty of a sleeper build is it can be a quick & dirty primer job if it has to.

My thoughts on a 'strayan Cannonball is that the Sydney to Perth route is preferable as contestants can choose the longer route via Melbourne & Adelaide on sealed roads or the shorter more direct route straight across the middle which will require ability to cope with unsealed roads (not necessarily 4wd though - the '79 Repco round Australia rally was won by a 2wd 6 cylinder Holden Commodore).  Specifying Sydney to Perth means that contestants can choose a pure road car or something rougher & tougher.  Also all entries should be RHD.  It's not hard and anyone who is put off by the thought of doing it probably isn't committed enough anyway.

My thoughts on a 'strayan Cannonball is that the Sydney to Perth route is preferable as contestants can choose the longer route via Melbourne & Adelaide on sealed roads or the shorter more direct route straight across the middle which will require ability to cope with unsealed roads (not necessarily 4wd though - the '79 Repco round Australia rally was won by a 2wd 6 cylinder Holden Commodore).  Specifying Sydney to Perth means that contestants can choose a pure road car or something rougher & tougher.  Also all entries should be RHD.  It's not hard and anyone who is put off by the thought of doing it probably isn't committed enough anyway.

Now THAT is a good idea. By the way folks, Zenrat has won this a couple of times so if he shows up on race day, you can bet he's bringing an outstanding racer. So be on your A-game yourselves. Fred, glad you are still with us. I'm looking forward to seeing the Citation.

Now THAT is a good idea. By the way folks, Zenrat has won this a couple of times so if he shows up on race day, you can bet he's bringing an outstanding racer. So be on your A-game yourselves. Fred, glad you are still with us. I'm looking forward to seeing the Citation.

So am i. :D

Mounting the body to the Prowler chassis, preventing the mounting pins from breaking (many times - plastic ones will be replaced with steel tomorrow) and building the interior panelling (body on & off many times a session - hence the pins breaking) have all slowed me right down.

That and building "what if" model aircraft.

One month to go though - time to get busy.

I'll shoot some snaps tomorrow if I get a chance.

I am still planning to finish the Rabbit. This Summer has been crazy, I even got married. I dragged the Rabbit back out and got to work.

I had four, yes four, failed paint jobs. I tried tan, brown, gun metal, and silver leaf. All were either horribly orange peeled, or would drink the clear coat. I discovered putting clear over Tamiya flat paint won't add any gloss. I put the Rabbit in primer for the fifth time. I then shot a light coat of Tamiya Pure White. There are of course some flaws, but I'm tempted to just leave them. I'm not sure how many more times I want to try and paint this thing.

Photo 22.JPG

Photo 23.JPG

Edited by TheEnd