Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cat 3406 powered Freightliner C.O.E.

how'd I miss this????

James, holy smokes that thing is pretty [yes, I am a grown man, and just used the word pretty :D ] but it is!

fabulous looking build, absolutely love it!

you're gonna fit right in around here, can't wait to see what else you have 'laying' around :)

This is a beauty!!!! I like the cat engine very nice paint job. I'm a starter and still learning in this beautiful model truck hobby and it amazed me the great builds of this gentlemen (including you of course). I have three of these kits waiting to built but I'm not experience enough to built it(for now). But waoo what an amazing built!!!

I first built one of these about 40 years ago, and even though it turned out poorly, the kit itself has always held a soft spot in my heart because, as yours shows, it has so much potential. Yours features everything mine lacked: meticulous assembly, a more impressive engine and attention to details such as correct tank placement. Then there's the paint. Not only does the pattern match the 1:1, the colors look perfect for a truck of this vintage.

A couple questions if you don't mind:

1) What paints were used on the body?

2) What did you use for masking the cab?

I first built one of these about 40 years ago, and even though it turned out poorly, the kit itself has always held a soft spot in my heart because, as yours shows, it has so much potential. Yours features everything mine lacked: meticulous assembly, a more impressive engine and attention to details such as correct tank placement. Then there's the paint. Not only does the pattern match the 1:1, the colors look perfect for a truck of this vintage.

A couple questions if you don't mind:

1) What paints were used on the body?

2) What did you use for masking the cab?

Hello Monty,

Thanks for the kind words and interest in this build.I too built this kit before as i got one of these for Christmas back in '79 at 13.By then i had built a couple truck kits,but this truck was so fiddly and fussy that i never completed it,and what i had finished was a complete hot mess!! Anyway,I used a combination of hobby and automotive paints topped with a enamel clear coat.Colors are Testors Jade Green Metalflake,and Duplicolor Hampsted Green Mt. over gray primer.Cab masking was a combination of chart graphing tape and a good quality masking tape.

This Cat 3406, come with the model? Or an aftermarket engine?

LOOKS GREAT, love the whole way that came out!

Engine is a resin aftermarket from a few years ago that i believe has been discontinued,but a version of this engine can be found in the Monogram 1/25 scale Kenworth W-900 kit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...