Model Cars Magazine Forum

Background diorama / Flatheads to Boxers Engine Rebuilders : new tool, new room

landman

• 2 weeks later...

Yes David, we hardly had any until the 22nd or so then a big dump ,14" or so over a couple of days just befor Christmas. As for the moss, I thought it would make a nice scruffy bush of the type you would find in a shady corner with questionable soil.

• 1 month later...

Good to see that FTB is open for business again, Pat...... the Motorcraft and FoMoCo banners take me back to when I first worked for a Ford dealership, when I finished school at 17 years of age. I was working in the parts department of a large truck dealership that also had a car side to the business. Motorcraft labelled parts were a common everyday thing in those days, 1970 - 1976.......... I particularly remember seeing the Diamond T recovery vehicle in the commercial workshop, having the huge engine stripped down and rebuilt. I served on both the commercial service counter and the car service counter, as well as the retail counter and goods inwards, telephone orders...... long time ago now, Pat........

David

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

Good to see that FTB is open for business again, Pat...... the Motorcraft and FoMoCo banners take me back to when I first worked for a Ford dealership, when I finished school at 17 years of age. I was working in the parts department of a large truck dealership that also had a car side to the business. Motorcraft labelled parts were a common everyday thing in those days, 1970 - 1976.......... I particularly remember seeing the Diamond T recovery vehicle in the commercial workshop, having the huge engine stripped down and rebuilt. I served on both the commercial service counter and the car service counter, as well as the retail counter and goods inwards, telephone orders...... long time ago now, Pat........

David

One of my  sons in law is the service manager at a Kenworth dealership. He stated in the shop as a mechanic.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Engines Engines Engines... and an amazing shop!  Just like the bosses to be standing around with their hands in their pockets.  I am in Awe of the heavy machining equipment.  Great work with MDF and balsa. Maybe I missed it but you have an English wheel but I didn't see a sheet metal box break, or tube bender for your headers.  I've moved a few shops and it is always nostalgic when the old ones are empty and we reflect on all the great work that went out the door.

Thanks for a very entertaining morning! BJ

1 hour ago, Big John said:

WOW! Engines Engines Engines... and an amazing shop!  Just like the bosses to be standing around with their hands in their pockets.  I am in Awe of the heavy machining equipment.  Great work with MDF and balsa. Maybe I missed it but you have an English wheel but I didn't see a sheet metal box break, or tube bender for your headers.  I've moved a few shops and it is always nostalgic when the old ones are empty and we reflect on all the great work that went out the door.

Thanks for a very entertaining morning! BJ

Thanks John. I guess I better add those tools to the back burner. right now we are about to move and I am packing everything but one day soon I hope to set up again and get at it.

11 hours ago, landman said:

Thanks John. I guess I better add those tools to the back burner. right now we are about to move and I am packing everything but one day soon I hope to set up again and get at it.

Good luck with the move, Pat...... and make sure to pack those models and dioramas carefully!

David

That sounds like a daunting task, and not just with the models from what I've seen of your 1:1 shop in the background.  At least the models are light weight unlike the acres of books in the old research library.  All the best on the move too may it go smoothly and a joyous setup in the new place.

John!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

That must have been a satisfying moment...... key in the door of the new home. You remind me of the great Tom Jones from Wales in appearance..... Has anyone told you that before?

David

No. However, at one time apparently I looked a bit  like Eric Clapton.

Algérie 750021.jpg

Eric.jpg