Model Cars Magazine Forum

Background diorama / Flatheads to Boxers Engine Rebuilders : new tool, new room

landman

On 2/4/2022 at 7:58 AM, landman said:

Found it. It is a resin by ResiCast. So not likely to show up in 1:25. 3D would have been more possible.

They say it's resin cast but with that level of detailing in 1/35 scale I would bet it's really printed,,, Wouldn't a 1/8 version be trick?

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the ' Diamond T trucks ' badge on the back wall in your two photos, and I remember the garage where I got my first job when I finished school at the age of 17 . . . . They had a Diamond T recovery vehicle and it was an absolute monster ! When the engine was started up for this truck to go out on a breakdown, the two vertical stacks were pumping out smoke and the sound was quite something. The engine was removed from that truck for an overhaul one time, and I had a close look at the internals of the engine. My job was partsman, so I had to source parts for the Diamond T engine. Happy days !

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

I might be wrong about the ' two ' stacks actually . . . . . There would have been only one stack if the engine wasn't a V8 or V12  ?

David

In the days of the Diamond T most likely. Today it is common to see two stacks on a 6 via y pipes.

8 hours ago, Big John said:

Is that a set of duel turbos for the Corvair?  Great collection of engines Pat I always see something new when i tune in.  Thanks!

It is a  a turbo assembly but a single. The thing on the right is the air cleaner. We are looking at the backside of it.Glad you are liking this.

20190407183623-1554820697552@2x.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, landman said:

There is a Shelby show in a nearby city. It was decided to take all three.

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

I reckon the darker blue one being loaded onto the transporter first may well turn out to be the winner Pat . . . 

David

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great stuff as always! Love your garage diorama and al the engines! Saw that there are several 3d model of cumins egnines at Grabcad, might want to check them out, they are in 1:1 so you have to alter them a bit to use them maybe.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:00 AM, Big John said:

And while we are on the subject of Tank engines... If you have a couple of Chrysler flat head 6s kicking around you might want to put together a Sherman 30 cyl. WV tank engine.  There is even a 1/35 scale model that appears to be printed.

That realy got my interest! How great aint that, I just love old solutions to dificult problems. 

And a cool engine would be some modern six made for alot of hp like 2JZ, Barra or RB26 with turbos and made to work in the same way as that WV 30 cyl!