Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Coronet convertible,,,,

gtx6970

I guess patiance really is a virtue. I started this about 10 years ago, give or take.

I was searching for something else at my desk when I stumbled on it. I knew I had it,,I just hadn't thought about it in quite some time.

So,,,,, I decided to see if I could actually finish it ,,,like today.

It started out as a hardtop. But the roof was so bad where a previous owner glue bombed the glass in I ended up cutting it off and added the vert windshield frame from an AMT 1969 GTX kit. It's not a perfect match,, But I'll live with it as is.

I glued the interior tub and chasss into it this morning. added some details ,like mirrors and a shifter this afternoon . I decided to glue the hood down and just make it a curbside,,,maybe someday I'll add the underhood stuff.

And this is what I got . Its intended to be a replica of a good friends 1/1 car. Which is Blue ext and blue / white interior . 440 , auto factory air car .

So if you have some stalled projects,,,,,,there is hope. They may actually get finished someday. I know if sure felt good to put it in the display case done.

Comments welcome and thanks for looking

post-9887-0-30587700-1422391473_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-49414700-1422391479_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-26658900-1422391489_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-13135300-1422391497_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-43123500-1422391510_thumb.jp

Very cool Bill! I looked for one of these old MPC kits for sometime on ebay just because I loved the body style of the '68-'70 Dodges & Plymouths & wanted to build something different from what was currently available. The '68 & '69 Coronets are getting exceedingly hard to find & I never was able to find a nice & reasonable '68. I did however find a nice restorable '69 hardtop that I would like to build some time soon. I usually don't swap parts when I build these old annuals, but I think I'll be using the modern '70 Super Bee chassis & engine on mine. Very nice work Bill! Steve

nice job Bill. great looking car, would love to see the 1:1. where is he interior tub from? resin, the 69 GTX or the 70 Coronet? just guessing. great job.

Al,

This is the only pic of the 1/1 that I have on this pc.

Interior is the the original. All I added were power window switches like the the 1/1 and did flocking for carpet, best I can remember, the rest is original MPC .

The top boot and maybe the steering wheel is from the GTX kit.

The original chassis was trashed so I think the one I used is from AMT 69 Charger 500 as I wanted to retain the original metal axle look.

also shown is his 67 Coronet RT vert,, also a factory air car .. I plan to replicate it as well someday

post-9887-0-64959700-1422455349_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-76214300-1422455440_thumb.jp

Al,

This is the only pic of the 1/1 that I have on this pc.

Interior is the the original. All I added were power window switches like the the 1/1 and did flocking for carpet, best I can remember, the rest is original MPC .

The top boot and maybe the steering wheel is from the GTX kit.

The original chassis was trashed so I think the one I used is from AMT 69 Charger 500 as I wanted to retain the original metal axle look.

also shown is his 67 Coronet RT vert,, also a factory air car .. I plan to replicate it as well someday

thanks Bill, beautiful cars.... lucky guy. ragtops with air, big motors, so cool. you did it justice, that's for sure.