Model Cars Magazine Forum

73 Camaro SS

Grzegorz

Nice work! There's something about the styling of the 1070-73 Camaro that makes it a real standout, and your car's bright green finish makes it stand out even more.

I think rebuilding glue bombs is more fun (and rewarding) than building out of the box or kitbashing. It has the advantage of allowing me to build models that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise. I (re)built a rare AMT annual 1970 Camaro SS396, the one with the straight-bumper (non-RS) front end and a vinyl top a while back. It's still the only one of this particular kit I've ever seen in person. My car is triple black with the kit's whitewalls and Corvette-style full wheel covers. I've rebuily numerous Corvair models from really awful glue bombs, although I'll admit to using some chrome and portions of the bodies from donor kits for a few of the later-style cars.

I like the way that you darkened in the door seams. I was looking at my models a few days ago, and something was just bugging me about them It finally came to me that my door seams are all filled with paint, thus looking very unnatural. It's those little details that turn a model into a miniature. Your Camaro really drives that point home; good job.

Jim Id love to see that 1970 Annual you built, I have one unbuilt in my stash an original AMT from 1970, I must agree though the 1970 (and a half) Camaro was a fantastic looking car.

I'm not Jim but I too have a gluebomb original AMT annual '70 I bought off eBay a couple years back. This is what it looked like when I got it. I now have it disassembled and the paint stripped. The plan is to paint it Classic Copper or something close, with black vinyl top. I'm also working on rebuilding an original MPC '72 SS396 that will be either Spring Green or whatever the '72 dark green was called (the part being played by Model Master '69 Fathom Green). It's stripped too and almost ready for paint. Perhaps this will be the year I get struck by a fit of industry and drag both of them across the finish line.

71Camaro01.jpg

I'm not Jim but I too have a gluebomb original AMT annual '70 I bought off eBay a couple years back. This is what it looked like when I got it. I now have it disassembled and the paint stripped. The plan is to paint it Classic Copper or something close, with black vinyl top. I'm also working on rebuilding an original MPC '72 SS396 that will be either Spring Green or whatever the '72 dark green was called (the part being played by Model Master '69 Fathom Green). It's stripped too and almost ready for paint. Perhaps this will be the year I get struck by a fit of industry and drag both of them across the finish line.

71Camaro01.jpg

Be good to see this one of yours done Snake, I keep meaning to have a go at starting mine but its still bagged and in its original box and as much as Im not a collector ....I cant bring myself to crack it open yet. (And Ive had the kit for 12 years !)

Edited by Mr Stock