Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Corvette Monogram

Sidney Schwartz

Sidney, and you told me you were a rookie! Looks a lot better than my first attempt! BTW, panel lines can be overdone. I've tried scribing, which is very dangerous, because you can really scar your model if you jump out of the groove. Gave that up because it was almost impossible to do it without getting somewhat impatient, and that's when the accidents happened. Tried an ultrafine black Sharpie, and wound up overdoing it to the point where the panel lines just were too noticeable. So, good luck on whatever you do... and I know you're going to have to do it for yourself. ;)

Edited by fseva

Sidney, and you told me you were a rookie! Looks a lot better than my first attempt! BTW, panel lines can be overdone. I've tried scribing, which is very dangerous, because you can really scar your model if you jump out of the groove. Gave that up because it was almost impossible to do it without getting somewhat impatient, and that's when the accidents happened. Tried an ultrafine black Sharpie, and wound up overdoing it to the point where the panel lines just were too noticeable. So, good luck on whatever you do... and I know you're going to have to do it for yourself. ;)

As long as your panel lines are deep enough, you don't have to do any scribing. I rarely scribe panels except for limited areas where they can be a little shallow, (ie. the tops of the doors). The panel lines on Sidney's Vette do look pretty shallow, so it's probably just as well that he left it alone. If you use acrylic craft paint & the results are less than desirable, it's an easy fix. A little warm water & a soft brush will clean it right out, so you can either make a second attempt, or just forget about it.

It is a pretty simple technique that will add a lot of realism to your builds.

Steve

I gave up on the panel lines for this kit, and am still undecided about what to do on the '53 Studebaker Starliner I just started. The panel lines on that one look awfully shallow and narrow. I'll see how it looks with some paint on it.

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement. B)