Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa Jaguar XJS TWR

jbwelda

For those who might not have seen the "on the workbench" thread, here:

http://www.modelcars...opic=19454&st=0

this is a near out of box build of the Hasegawa Jaguar XJS V12 TWR works car.

you can check the linked workbench thread but in summary this went together pretty well though there were more than a few challenges. the most noticable at this point is that the hood/bonnet fit is horrible. not sure why this hadnt manifested itself when i was in the test fitting stages, but it became an issue on final assembly. the photos here were posed to minimize the problem but suffice it to say, this car will be displayed with the hood open and the motor on display.

the undercarriage is highly detailed, right out of the box, with cooling tubes for the rear brakes and multi link suspension, and was a challenge to get to sit properly and look good.

turned out pretty well overall and i am happy to have it join my Jag collection, but i gotta see about getting a new hood and fitting it properly. this ones paint makes scary noises when i attempt to stress it into a different shape. i might try some hot water if i get desperate enough but for now, this one is under glass!

rightsidefromfront.jpg

rightrearandside2.jpg

a nice shot of the motor and compartment:

motorwithhoodopen.jpg

leftsidefromfrontnohood.jpg

leftfrontcornerandside.jpg

and finally, an attempt to glimpse in at the interior...not too successfully unfortunately:

interiorglimpse2.jpg

cheer and jeers cheerfully deflected!

It turned out brilliant. All of the effort that you put into getting it to look good and sit right has payed off. Well done.

I always wanted a few of those Jag kits but I have yet to actually come across one on any website that's not called Ebay. It has become a holy grail kit for me.

Cheers

ShawnS

hey thanks for all the comments and compliments!

chris, its been so long since i painted this that i am embarrassed to admit i am not sure what paint was used but i believe it was tamiya british green and tamiya pure white. all the green you see is paint, there werent any green decals. well i take that back because the stripe running up the sides was indeed a green decal, but it is the one decal that fell apart, completely crumbled when it hit water. so to answer your question, Steve, yeah the decals were still good except for that one exception.

edit: the line you see on the car now is an improvision: when the decal line shattered, i decided to lay down some thin tamiya masking tape and paint it with the brit green body color. then i just cut some thin slices of the painted tape and laid it down, followed by a coat or two of clear. i was surprised how easy it was and how well it worked out. i had imagined that when i hit the tape with clear coat it would curl up or lose adhesion. maybe i was just lucky but it stuck down when i cleared it.

end edit

after looking at the photos some, i realize that the door handles need some bare metal foil and some detailing with india ink...i would be tempted to do the door lines, trunk lines and fuel door too but those were some very shallow lines that i should have rescribed a couple times during the paint process, and i dont think i can or want to try to do any outlining especially since it will probably look heavy handed on the white. so i think i will let that particular sleeping dog lie.

thanks again for looking and commenting!

Edited by jbwelda

• 2 weeks later...