Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does R/M now own the old AM Grandsport molds ?

It may be a combo of both. I had family at AM and in fact worked there a day or two packing kits myself! Last time I was in the warehouse there were a good number of Vette kits on hand....along with a lot of other kits. MRC got the aircraft kits, someone that posted on here they had the XSTuning wheels and the Vettes went to RM. I grabbed a bunch of McLaren kits they still had but could not sell and even got a few of the NASCAR Taurus kits that were never issued. While still in biz the AM tooling was in Korea and is more than likely still in the hands of the molder. IF RM needs to run them again they will have to go to them.....but they are more than likely available to anyone with cash.

It was my understanding that they acquired the old stock of this kit, and are re-boxing the kits with the Revell label on them, as opposed to running another series of the kit.

That is what Revell told me at IHOBBY. No idea on any price though. I have 5 of the kits in my stash right now, plus two McLaren's. I think that is more than enough.

That is what Revell told me at IHOBBY. No idea on any price though. I have 5 of the kits in my stash right now, plus two McLaren's. I think that is more than enough.

Model Roundup has them for preorder at $19.90...I'll probably get one, never had one of the AM releases.

they are nice kits but they are very fiddly too with some unique build issues.

That's what I recall reading in reviews of the kits when they were originally released- lots of nice details, but there are fit issues and I thought there was a problem with the hoods not closing completely on some? I will have to dig up Larry Greenberg's review if I still have the old SAE issues...or maybe Larry remembers and can post. B)

i'm not "assuming" anything, because assumption is the mother of all foul-ups.

i do think it's interesting that Revell as chosen to add this one to it's catalog and i hope it does better for them than it did for Accurate Miniatures. they are nice kits but they are very fiddly too with some unique build issues. the one i have started only comes out for short bursts until i get tired of fixing things before any actual building can really get done. primer and paint? it's nowhere close to being ready for either and i've got a lot of time into it already.

I knew when I typed that, you'd be offended. I am truly sorry and I profusely apologize.

The big weber carbs are pretty cool in this kit. I have only looked and fondled my AM version, but may pick a RM one up.

The tires will be interesting, as alluded to above. The originals have Good Year on them, but RM doesn't have a license for use??? Will they mold their own tires to replace the AM tires?

I wonder if they will try to pack it all into a standard size box too.

One note on these AM Vette kits. There are two versions available. If you have one with the Charlotte address you have a first gen kit more than likely. A Concord address is a second gen kit....much improved. I built a number of the kits and gave feedback on the second gen kit. Once the mods were made the kit went together well.

AMVETTE-vi.jpg

I've got two of these kits. My original kit bought when they were first released has Charlotte on the box and the Mecom Racing version has Concorde. Apart from the decals, photo etch fret and bonnet, my

Mecom car is the same as the original issue. One other thing is the Mecom car has no name tires.

Can some one tell me what mods were made to the Concorde kit so that the kits go together better ?

IMG_1120.jpg

Adjustments were made to some engine parts and the major revisions were to front sespension locationors. I don't think I could tell by looking at one kit....but know there is a difference from building. All mods were 'twiking' and not like a new part.

Adjustments were made to some engine parts and the major revisions were to front sespension locationors. I don't think I could tell by looking at one kit....but know there is a difference from building. All mods were 'twiking' and not like a new part.

Thanks Dave. No doubt I'll find out when they go on to the work bench.

I'm wondering the same thing. All three of mine are from Charlotte. Someday I will finish them but they are challenging. I hope Revell makes the direction clearer too!! I have that top box and this one pictured. The only difference is the decals.

Actually the instructions are something else that is different between the original and the later issue. The old sheet is replaced with a booklet that is far clearer

IMG_1124.jpg

and so am i implying correctly when i think that means the revell rebox is going to be the improved version? but probably not furthered improved?

That is what I'm expecting from what has been said. We will find out for sure when its released later this month.

I had a closer look at my old and new release versions last night and as Dave has said I found there has been some fettling of the molds on the new version mainly to the front A arms and a companion notch in the

chassis. There may be more as I only did a curiosity check.

Old version to the left.

IMG_1186.jpg

Edited by Roncla