Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT / Round 2 Bring back some more of those great old Double kits.

I would rather be able to buy them separately. I bought the "Double T" and "Double Dragster" kits. But, I have no use for the stock T or much interest in the dragster. So, it's a waste of money IMO. Sure, you get two kits. But, if you don't want one of them, you've paid double for the one you do want.

I'd be really surprised if the King T Wild Dream came back. Lots of King T chassis parts exist in Fire Truck (Tognotti), others issued over years, but the T fenders seem to have had details removed over years. Chassis was under the MPC Casper Paddy Wagon (not R-M) in late 60's and fenders and rb's altered then. Used under the Night Crawler too. The Wild Dream chassis is under the Ice Cream Truck, and I can't recall the other. Dave Van may remember.

The XR-6 and the quad headlight setup for the 27 tub seem to be gone too. XR-6 was one issue, but no bits ever seen again. 27 T tub has been in lineup nearly continuously since.

The 32 Ford Tudor body appeared once in '73 ish in Street rod series, but other bits never seen, I think the body was stock in the Willy's/32 custom kit, but I can't compare at moment.

Still, I'd pop some more XR-6 and King T Wild Dream kits. :DB)

IMG_1232-vi.jpg

I cannot agree more.. these kits are amazing parts boxes! Forget if you don't like one of the cars on the box, those parts can be used, and AMT encouraged guys to build with their imaginations back in the day. I recently got the above Model T Fruit truck kit. It's got the possibilities of about a dozen different rods and stock cars... not only can you do a pickup and the fruit truck huckster body, but there's also a turtle back and a shortie pickup bed in the kit. Just think of it as a box of street rod parts that you can do anything with. Better than Lego!

Years ago I got the AMT Blueprinter Double Dragster and Tony Nancy dragster double kits on the same outing. Man, you could build anything from the parts in those combined boxes.

I cannot agree more.. these kits are amazing parts boxes! Forget if you don't like one of the cars on the box, those parts can be used,

Couldn't agree more. I've picked up several copies of the Double Dragster kit over the years just because it's an amazing "parts mine" of early '60s speed stuff.

kool kits, the Wild Dream/King T both build up very nicely and fit together surprisingly well. I am going to be using the XR6 chassis and probably some running gear for a very special Trabant Universal surf wagon very soon now...with half a hemi engine to boot.

leftsidefront.jpg

leftfrontnice.jpg

jb

Edited by jbwelda

AMT-T-129-2.jpg Back in the day bought this one just for the roadster. But Tom is right, plenty of cool extra parts, chrome wheels, HEMI motor, good looking custom body(drop all the rest, goofy fenders etc.) great dash. Yep, good parts. :P

Edited by Greg Myers

xr6_big_zpsafc210e1.jpg After opening this one up wasn't really sure why I bought it. Ended up using the XR6 for a slot car. But again as Tom pointed out, lotsa good parts.early 4banger speed parts and at the time where else were you gonna find a chromed out full race Leaning Tower of Power ? (Slant Six) :lol:

DSC01152.jpg Didn't really care for all of this one either, but it was the first issue of the Willys from AMT, so yeah, gotta have one/two of those. Looking back, however, Parts is Parts. The Nail Head Buick in this was to die for, so much custom stuff on it. For a long time the 2door was the only game in town if you wanted a sedan. :lol:

Edited by Greg Myers

The 32 Ford Tudor body appeared once in '73 ish in Street rod series, but other bits never seen, I think the body was stock in the Willy's/32 custom kit, but I can't compare at moment.

I've got most of the double kit; the '32 sedan body shell is dead stock other than a couple tiny locator pins for the rear fenders - you can flick 'em off with a fingernail. I'm thinking of putting a different body on that chassis - maybe swapping it for a '32 Victoria shell or one from the AMT '34 Ford three-window (great excuse to customize it to hide the errors!).

The Willys is missing the chassis and a few other bits, but there's enough to fix up a gluebomb if I ever get to it.

thanks for the comments, here is a shot of the King T from the back showing the Jaguar (I would imagine) IRS. I added some details like the exhaust tips and the brake rotors with calipers (should have taken time to get rid of that seam though!), but essentially what you see is what the kit is. pretty impressive and as I say it wasn't all that bad to assemble. rear suspension did take some doing though because it all kind of has to align properly or its not going to sit flat, and the alignments at one point include like four different sub-units. but it did actually all line up and sit flat. I put it all together with white glue first and then tried to sneak in some super glue when it was positioned properly.

fXO5Cx.jpg

very nice detail there, right out of the box.

with the Wild Dream, the real car and hence the model wore M&H Racemaster slicks on all four wheels. looked dumb dumb dumb (in my opinion of course). spoiled the looks of the original car. so I found some suitable littles for the front and made it look a zillion times better right there.

I really want that 32 with the crazy quad light grille and edsel (I believe) grille insert. I really loved that kit when I was a kid and probably built it 3 or 4 times, both cars. the willys was a favorite too.

what I would really like to see come back in this vein was that chevy nova wagon pulling a race car I don't recall exactly. I do believe that was AMT, right?

jb

Yep, finally get my hands on a Tognotti/Wild Dream double kit and Round 2 releases it. O Well, the kit came from Kelli Khrome and I cherish it immensely.

Is Round 2 re-releasing it? I thought it was posted as something that should be reissued. More of a wish list.

And a very nice job on the "King T" Bill. This thread is the first time I've ever heard of that kit. Looks kool.

Scott