Model Cars Magazine Forum

Congratulations to ALL whose Models are pictured.

Forgive me Harry, but I was not aware of the book mentioned that you were involved it .. The cars of the 60's .. could you add more info here like the actual title.. and where to get?

No selling allowed here on the forum, but PM me and I will give you all the information. There is also a Cars of the '50s book, and a brand-new history of Mustang models from 1964 to today, along with 5-6 other books on other model-related subjects. Yes, i keep myself busy! :lol:

Just a couple of clarifications. The Crown Victoria wagon on page 72 was built by David Irwin, from Missouri. I purchased it from a vendor at Carlsbad last year and put it on the table at this show so others could appreciate the concept and craftsmanship of the car. I take no credit for the build but I am happy to have it in my Collection.

And I'm pretty sure that the red 57 Bel Air on page 73 is mine, not Ron Ramsay's.

I would also like to chirp in and congratulate everyone whose models got featured.

I would also like to express the great disappointment in the issue, which I just picked up today. I am not going to comment the choice of models featured or the captions or anything like that. These are topics that will always have people having different opinions and something to cheer or complaint about.

I just can't believe that the one issue of the year which is comprised almost exclusively of pictures has some of the worst model photography I have seen. Really? The one issue that everyone buys to drool over fellow builders color choices, paintjobs……The ,I am pretty sure, best selling issue of the whole year that people use for inspiration and as an idea book came out at least a month late and then it is filled with pictures that look almost as good the pictures my 5 year old takes of his Lego toys with my wife's phone.

Basically according to the pictures, Ferrari red, Hemi orange, some pinks and everything else in between are pretty much the same color. I have seen many of the models featured elsewhere. Some I had the pleasure to have seen in person, some in other publications and others on this very forum. And I have to say that the pictures in this issue not only don't compliment all the hard work it took to create the models, but down right insults them. Grainy, badly lit, out of focus, lacking color and badly positioned pictures have no place in a magazine that has the pretensions of being THE model cars mag. Let alone in the issue that is basically a picture collection.

I am not bitching and moaning, for lack of better things to do. But you guys have really dropped the ball with this issue. I am not mad or agitated. Just plain disappointed for my favorite magazine not leaving up to some pretty basic standard.

Edited by mrm

Just a few ramblings... first off, some awesome builds in this issue, and as always, it's laid out really cool. My problem is a couple of things I saw. #1-people trying to pass off a build they "bought" from someone and saying they built it. I'm not gonna bust them out here. I saw a pickup model I built & sold on eBay a few years ago, they said it was all done by them. Whatever...#2-I see a very nice, clean build that was supposedly built and painted and foiled by a 5 year old !! Yeah, OK. If so, I need to quit/give up coz if a 5yr old can do that in 2 days...

Sorry, just nit-picking, guess I gotta stop selling my built ups. 8-/

I have to agree with you all about integrity .. I was pretty surprised at the great number of very good looking models by single digit aged people. If this truly reflects our next generation, I feel the hobby will be in suburb hands! If this reflects the integrity of the parent, it's a sad day for model building.

I've never had one photo published, but this is more a reflection of my completion rate and entering in national contests.

We've all known a few of those... I once knew a guy whose swore his six year hold had air brushed, polished and assembled a model better than I could do. Of course the kid showed no interest in models at the show, preferring to run around in circles and play with dust on the floor. Kid goes to pick up "his" model and the father yells, "Don't you touch that!"

Yep... The world is full of liars, cheats, and plain old dishonest people. I think this falls into that category as well. Of course there are some that fall for it and believe stuff like this..... Not many though. I for one being of the latter.

So, Rich sent me an e-mail, to let me know that my '06 Mustang was in the Model Cars Magazine Contest Issue. I hit the closest hobby shop that sells the magazine as soon as I could. They just received their shipment and the mag wasn't even on the rack yet, so I got the first one. Yep, there was the Mustang, and when I got home, I found my twenty-plus- year-old beater Nova on another page, from another contest. Cool! Of course, I took the magazine out to “read” on our front porch, to enjoy with a glass of wine. The mag and my wine glass were on a table that we share, which is between our chairs on the porch. Then, my wife got up from her chair... :o let's just say that the magazine goes real well with a nice California merlot. Bummer :( . The damage looked worse than it actually is, and I'm not gonna go get another copy. That's life, and there's some kind of lesson there. One day I'll figure it out.

I would also like to chirp in and congratulate everyone whose models got featured.

I would also like to express the great disappointment in the issue, which I just picked up today. I am not going to comment the choice of models featured or the captions or anything like that. These are topics that will always have people having different opinions and something to cheer or complaint about.

I just can't believe that the one issue of the year which is comprised almost exclusively of pictures has some of the worst model photography I have seen. Really? The one issue that everyone buys to drool over fellow builders color choices, paintjobs……The ,I am pretty sure, best selling issue of the whole year that people use for inspiration and as an idea book came out at least a month late and then it is filled with pictures that look almost as good the pictures my 5 year old takes of his Lego toys with my wife's phone.

Basically according to the pictures, Ferrari red, Hemi orange, some pinks and everything else in between are pretty much the same color. I have seen many of the models featured elsewhere. Some I had the pleasure to have seen in person, some in other publications and others on this very forum. And I have to say that the pictures in this issue not only don't compliment all the hard work it took to create the models, but down right insults them. Grainy, badly lit, out of focus, lacking color and badly positioned pictures have no place in a magazine that has the pretensions of being THE model cars mag. Let alone in the issue that is basically a picture collection.

I am not bitching and moaning, for lack of better things to do. But you guys have really dropped the ball with this issue. I am not mad or agitated. Just plain disappointed for my favorite magazine not leaving up to some pretty basic standard.

I won't go so far as to declare that a ball was dropped, but I will say that my beater Nova never looked more... intense :huh: (and, it ain't from the wine).

Edited by johnbuzzed

• 3 weeks later...

So, this goes into a nice discussion until someone criticizes the issue and then all of a sudden - whooop, let's burry the thread. This goes to all the builders who got their models published; Do you really feel the photography represents faithfully the countless hours you guys spent rubbing and buffing that paint out? Or all the research, time and money you invested in detailing your model? Is everyone just going to turn a blind eye to fact that on one same page four different models are described as pink, red and orange of different variations, but they look the same grainy color on the pictures? As model builders that create some stunning pieces, I would have thought that most people on here are very detail oriented and that includes the way their work is (mis)represented. Or are we willing to sacrifice our integrity (that we get so mad over, when someone builds a model for their kid) just for the great honor and privilege to have a picture of our model published? Because, I don't know, maybe I am the only one feeling this way, but going home with a trophy in the junior class, where you whooped some 7 year olds buts with your photoetched sprinkled, urethane clear coated model would bring me just as much satisfaction as having a picture of my model printed on which it kind of resembles the color, finish and detail of the actual model.

No selling allowed here on the forum, but PM me and I will give you all the information. There is also a Cars of the '50s book, and a brand-new history of Mustang models from 1964 to today, along with 5-6 other books on other model-related subjects. Yes, i keep myself busy! :lol:

Sorry, Harry .. didn't meant to make you sell :lol:

I finally connected 1 + 1 and got 2 .. :D

Hey Michael Moskov.... two posts totally criticizing the issue and trying to stir up trouble on the very magazine's website. Enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are just clueless. No, Model Cars Magazine isn't Life Magazine and they don't have a professional staff of photographers that they can dispatch anywhere in the world to take award winning photos of model cars for your delight.

No, the magazine is a shoe string operation, led by a man in Hawaii and a virtual staff around the country. Most of the show coverage you have decided to belittle has been provided to the magazine by the clubs that ran the shows. Yes, a non-professional photographer with a digital camera, most likely a member of that club, has done his very best to represent his club and their show. And for some reason you see the need to pee all over it. Sad.

What Tom said is right on point.

The people who shoot the models at the contests we feature in the contest issue are not professional photographers, but in most cases just "regular guys," maybe club members. They don't have a professional lighting setup, they have to shoot a lot of models under less than ideal conditions, and they aren't paid for their photography work... they are volunteers. I try to do my best to correct every image, but Photoshop isn't "magic." There's only so much I can do.

Yes, the photos in the contest issue aren't exactly Ansel Adams quality... but given the reality of the situation we are dealing with, I think we do ok.