Model Cars Magazine Forum

1925 Ford Model T Pickup

I'm not sure if the C-cab is accurate for a 1925 Model T or not. I haven't found any reference photos od a Model T or Model TT with this cab. Doesn't mean they're not out there, just means I haven't found them. I figured that there are a bunch of parts in this kit, so what would it look like if I took the body from the Roadster but used the pickup bed instead. Well, here is the answer:

2015-04-12%2011.03.20_zpsq5t95jbz.jpg

Looks more like the 1:1 photo that I found.

I have the reference pix you're looking for. I ran across this vehicle in Woodland Park, Colorado 7 or 8 years ago. This is a model TT but it does show they are out there.

P1000233-vi.jpg

Here's a link to the album. http://public.fotki.com/KenK/my_models/misc/model-ts-for-anthony/

• 10 months later...

Finally getting back to this one.  Wow! Has it really been almost a year?  Decided to go a slightly different direction with the build as the C-Cab wasn't really fitting together all that well, and I got tired of fighting with it.

Still going with black.  Hoping to finish it up this weekend if I can.  Needs another coat on the top.  Oh, and I need to paint the headlights.

It looks good so far, and they always look good in black. Model Ts are fascinating, a very simple vehicle but they were available with a dizzying variety of options both factory and aftermarket.

I built this kit a few years ago as an early US Forest Service supply truck. The kit is simple and in places a bit crude but I had fun with it and have plans for many more I the future. Like you I intended it to be a quick simple build that also ended up taking about a year to finish.

Nice looking Model T, Aaron.  It looks nice in the USFS livery.  I saw photos of a Fire Chief's Model T the other day.  Really cool looking with the white tires.  Not sure how I would make the brass water can on the running board, though.

I've always loved these '25 Model T kits.  I've built quite a few pickups over the year as well. Here are a couple that I still have on my shelf.

Here's a stock one I built originally in 1970, then rebuilt it after a household move in 1985.

1925_Ford_Model_T_Roadster_Pickup_(2).th

Here's a fire chief's buggy built back in 1987 and restored in 2010.

1925_Ford_Model_T_PU__Chiefs_Buggy_(2).t

1925_Ford_Model_T_PU__Chiefs_Buggy_(5).t

Some nice looking Model T's, guys.  Thanks for the inspiration. A.J., that Chief's Buggy is pretty much what I saw.  How did you do the extinguishers?

Where did you get the Model T pickup kits?  The only one I've found is in the "Fruit Wagon" kit, and I'd rather not keep purchasing those as I don't need all the hot-rod stuff.  I did pick up one of the AMT 1293 Model T Van kits, though.

Oh, it's not done yet, but it's very close.  Everything that you see there, except the frame & engine, is just placed there.  If I sneeze it'll all fall apart. Knowing how this one has been going, probably another year until it's done! :lol:

As for the next project, It's going to be the Revell 1957 Ford Custom as a Fire Chief's car.

2016-04-02%2010.24.18_zpssngqj8qs.jpg

Well, that's the plan, anyway.

Edited by Jim B

Some nice looking Model T's, guys.  Thanks for the inspiration. A.J., that Chief's Buggy is pretty much what I saw.  How did you do the extinguishers?

Where did you get the Model T pickup kits?  The only one I've found is in the "Fruit Wagon" kit, and I'd rather not keep purchasing those as I don't need all the hot-rod stuff.  I did pick up one of the AMT 1293 Model T Van kits, though.

The AMT 1925 Model T was re-issued several years back as a 3 in 1 hotrod, pickup, roadster or closed body 2 seater. Two different boxings, one with the "tall T" stock closed body and one with a chopped top. They also did a 1927 Model T police car 4 seater with convertible top (phaeton?). The police car included some vintage police stuff as well as vintage 1920s speed equipment. I snagged several at the time but haven't seen any of these kits recently. Hopefully another reissue is due soon as I believe the last reissue was at least 6 or 7 years ago. Hoping we see the Depot Hack as well.

All of the Model T kits seem to be packed with hotrod stuff, the two 3 in 1 kits actually allowing you to build 2 complete models if you choose your options carefully. 

Model%20T%20kits_zpslga702yw.jpg

The kits outlined in green include the parts for a stock pickup, but vary somewhat in other options. The one in the top left corner is the old RC2 re-issue which left out a lot of parts included in the other two re-issued by Round 2.

Edited by Aaronw

As far as the fire extinguisher, both brass and copper were used. I made a pair of chemical tanks from copper pipe, some model railroad bits along with styrene and metal tubing. You can get both copper pipe / tubing at most hardware stores in 3/4" and smaller, and brass pipe in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2". Brass tubing in smaller sizes is available at many hobby shops, and some hardware stores. Nice thing with using copper and brass is they polish out like copper and brass.

1928ladder4.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

Thanks for the info, Aaron.  That's good to know.  You should know that the Fruit Wagon kit (lower right) has the stock pickup & runabout parts.  That Vintage Police Car kit would be nice to find.  Maybe they will reissue it one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...