Model Cars Magazine Forum

Source for old/discontinued kits

Hi guys and thanks for the links. I perused em all and while the Ferrari 308GT Rainbow is on some, the asking price is way too high.

So patience is a virtue and I'll simply wait as I did a while back for an LS Carrera 6.

I saw the same kit get battled over ending in $70, I saw it for $15 shortly after, waited patiently for end time and swooped in for the kill.

I did see the 308GT Rainbow in excellent shape go for $20 a few months back.

Don't forget to check put any local antique stores you might have. I've found a few discontinued/older release kits at one of the antique stores near me for very reasonable prices. Many of the stores like that aren't really into the hobby business, so they tend not to price unbuilt kits at ebay prices.

Keep in mind you will not find everything you want in one place,usually it's just a luck of the draw. Also if you befriend a few guys with collections not only do you get some model buddies but I'm sure they'd be glad to sell a kit or two to get another,especially at a decent price if it's to a friend.

Don't forget to check put any local antique stores you might have. I've found a few discontinued/older release kits at one of the antique stores near me for very reasonable prices. Many of the stores like that aren't really into the hobby business, so they tend not to price unbuilt kits at ebay prices.

True Dat, and also flea markets and thrift shops. If you spot anything that looks "rare-ish" at a bargain price, grab it up--even if you're not interested in it, you can prolly find someone who is, and work a profitable trade.

What I do for rare or long-OOP kits is buy restorable "glue bombs" off eBay for reasonable prices. Very satisfying to bring one of these poor backbirths back from Rick Grimesville.