Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primered Customized '49 Ford Coupe

Bernard Kron

DSCF3890_web.jpg
Slammed Customized '49 Ford Coupe in Gray Primer

I started this project intending it for the primer CBP on the TRaK board  but kept thinking I might go for a glossy paint job. In the end it told me to stay in primer, so here it is. AMT '49 Coupe slammed 7+ scale inches all around, mainly kit parts except for the following changes:

Chassis: lowered 7.5 scale inches front and rear using offset spindles at the front and lowering blocks at the rear.
Bodywork: Modelhaus resin '51 Ford customized grill with single plain bar (bullets removed) and smoothed bumpers. Frenched headlights.  Hood, deck and doors shaved. Scratch built visor from styrene strip and rod. AMT Kit custom rear rolled pan, license plate molding,bumpers and taillights. Scratch built exhaust tips from flattened and shaped aluminum tubing. Kit supplied spotlights.
Wheels and Tires: Parts box sourced front white walls, Revell '53 Cadillac bullet sombrero hubcaps, AMT kit rear tires with hand painted whitewalls. The wheels are from my parts box, the worst I could find since they'll never be seen...
Interior: Modified from AMT kit with scratch built bolsters and homemade decals for leopard skin patterned portions.
Paint: Duplicolor Gray Primer Sealer. Interior finished in in Duplicolor Yellow and Tamiya Semi Gloss black. Interior upholstered surfaces cleared with testors Dullcote.

Thanx for lookin',
B.

DSCF3888_web.jpg
DSCF3902_web.jpg
DSCF3904_wed.jpg
DSCF3908_web.jpg
DSCF3912_web.jpg
DSCF3915_web.jpg
DSCF3917_web.jpg
Interior_web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks everyone! I was inspired by reading the description of the grill on the Modelhaus site (no pictures, of course...) and when I received the piece it was pretty much as I hade hoped. The visor was a detail I added to go with the primer and add a touch of funk since the grill looked so slick. I'm glad you all like the result.

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx again guys. Glad I can provide some inspiration.

Modelbldr Tom, that's nice work on your '49 grill. It's slimmer and lighter looking than the modified '51 grill I used. I also think that resin tends to add thickness to most pieces, something I had to compensate for when I used my Modelhaus grill. I trimmed the bumper splashpan like you did. Anyhow, once you're done... - Allcad or replate? Also, those tunneled headlights are really fine. Are you using aluminum tubing for the buckets?

I started a couple of projects a few years back where I also modified some '49 grills.

On this one I lowered and simplified the stock grill to fit in the AMT custom grill surround. I landed up thinning the rolled pan a bit to go with the lighter look. I landed up pinching the chassis for a '50 convertible mild custom so it's still sitting in the box...

DSCF6728-web2.jpg

This second one was modified to incorporate rod lamps in the corners. The car was intended to be a road racer with a Weber carbed Ford small block under the hood. Again, sitting in its box contributing parts to other builds and waiting for my return... Someday...

DSCF6951-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 2 years later...