Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 RR woody... I mean, "shooting brake"...

Harry P.

Now let's see the plank and beam roof construction from the inside. :P

Believe it or not, I've been designing it in my mind for quite a while now. It's coming, but it's going to be more a simulation than an actual structural thing, due to the way I'm going to build the roof. But it'll look "right." ;)

While I'm waiting for my brass hinges to arrive from Hong Kong (they're coming via the "slow boat from China, apparently... :lol: ), I'm keeping busy doing all sorts of boring but necessary chores, like prepping the chrome parts for Spaz Stix. These door handles and window cranks needed a lot of cleanup of flash and sprue attachment points. Not exactly easy, considering they're each about the size of a grain of rice! Here they are, cleaned up and mounted on a scrap of wood "handle," ready for gloss black and then Spaz Stix.

rr103_zpsvw3fmaza.jpg

I had to make a return trip to the local "lumberyard" and pick up the raw material I'll need to build the roof...

rr106_zpsuezf3evy.jpg

Here I have taken the thinner strip from the above photo and cut the roof pieces to shape... wider in back, tapered towards the windshield posts. I pre-curved these pieces by placing them in boiling water for about a minute, then bending them to shape against a ship curve and holding them to the curve with a rubber band until the wood dried. I also carved a header piece to fit tightly against the top of the windshield frame, which has a slight arc to it side to side. The header, the front ends of the top pieces, and the little reinforcing corner blocks are glued in place with CA. I'll let all of this dry overnight, then glue the rear ends of those roof pieces down to the tops of the rear side body panels. The door posts are just placed in position here (not glued)... I just need them here to force the top pieces into the correct arc. Once I glue the rear of the top pieces I'll remove the door posts... at that time the glued top pieces will hold the correct arc to later receive those door posts once I attach the doors to them.

rr107_zpshjvdwqgz.jpg

One summer I helped a man put his 40 Ford deluxe woody back together. Not sure why it was apart, but at the end of the summer got to go for a ride in a car I helped to rebuild, a proud moment in a boy's life. Thanks for helping me to find that memory!

Always learn when watching your builds, keep up the great work Sir.

Jonathan

Harry,

I have always enjoyed watching your builds. The craftsmanship is inspiring. The way you take a model, and detail them, brings them to life. I've learned a number of things watching you build these scale works of art. This one is becoming my

favorite. The craftsmanship you are putting into this wooden body is amazing. It's making me want to dig out the only 1/16 scale kit I have in my stash, a 1913 Model T Van, and build it. I've got far too many on the workbench now, so it will have to

wait. I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to share your build process with us. We benefit so much for it, and these threads like this one are the reason many of us are here.

Thanks again, Harry. And amazing job, keep up the good work.

I tried various ship curves until I found the one that matches the exact curvature of the roof piece. I marked the front and back of the roof piece on the ship curve with masking tape...

rr110_zpsbijr8kap.jpg

Then I transferred that curve to a strip of basswood and cut out the two (left and right) sides of the roof...

rr112_zps8bve2ggs.jpg

Because the sides of the roof curve gradually from the back towadrs the front, I dropped these two pieces into boiling water for a minute or two, then bent them to shape with my fingers and clamped them in place. They'll stay clamped until they are dry and will hold their shape... then I'll continue building the roof.

rr113_zpsnfehtazj.jpg

And finally, Spaz Stix...

rr105_zpsjrvx3v0x.jpg

Harry, what is your method of actually spraying the Spaz Stix Chrome? Are you using it right out of the spray can or decanting and airbrushing? If out of the can, what distance and angle are you spraying from? Your application looks really good and while I've only sprayed a few things, mine came out more silver than chrome looking. Nice job on all the other building on this!

Harry, what is your method of actually spraying the Spaz Stix Chrome? Are you using it right out of the spray can or decanting and airbrushing? If out of the can, what distance and angle are you spraying from? Your application looks really good and while I've only sprayed a few things, mine came out more silver than chrome looking. Nice job on all the other building on this!

I spray it right out of the can, nothing special about angle, distance. I spray it just like any other can of spray paint, except maybe a bit less coverage. The "chrome" effect depends on the black base coat. You need a really smooth, shiny black base for the Spaz Stix to get that "chrome" look. Make sure you shake the can well before you spray... again, like any other spray paint.

I've had fantastic results using the stuff. Closest thing to "chrome" out of a spray can that I've ever seen. It's not quite the same as kit plated chrome, but I'd say it's 95% there.