Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 RR woody... I mean, "shooting brake"...

Harry P.

Makes sense. Thanks!

I googled "hunting brake" and it kept bringing up references to "shooting brake." No "hunting brake" info came up.

A "hunting brake" would make a nice companion piece to this model... but that's more work than I want to take on! :lol:

How about you, Art? You mentioned wanting to try a real wood woody. Sounds like the perfect project for you.

Doing a Woodie body in birch plywood with basswood framing has been on my bucket list for a number of years--however, it has to be in my preferred scale, 1/25.

Art

Doing a Woodie body in birch plywood with basswood framing has been on my bucket list for a number of years--however, it has to be in my preferred scale, 1/25.

Art

You need to come out of your 1/25 scale shell! A period woody like this would be a perfect subject for a larger scale model. ;)

The interior door panels are just plain black... very utilitarian. Not even map pockets! I assume that the hunting party knows where they're going. :D

rr153_zpscx3dyzde.jpg

Now that I have the window cranks, door handles, etc. installed, the next step is a big one: gluing the door posts to the body!

Hood fitment is dead on too!

I have to admit it took some finessing to get it there. A little reshaping of the hood panels with sandpaper. Not much, just a little. Usually when you're dealing with a kit from this era with four individual hood panels that all have to be hinged together, inevitably there are misalignments–sometimes big misalignments. In this case, just a little sanding was all that was needed.

Got the tailgates and taillights installed...

rr154_zpsvcpxmvgq.jpg

The hunters can fold down the upper tailgate, and if they brought their folding chairs with them, they can sit and have some tea and scones... :lol:

rr155_zpswj7ucgd8.jpg

You mean tea and crumpets.

You mean tea and crumpets.

Crumpets suck (too mushy for me, at least the ones I've gotten at Fresh Market). Scones are cool and handle fruit toppings better. They're not the same. But both are veddy British, especially at tea time. May also be accompanied by less enjoyable watercress/cucumber finger sandwiches on buttered bread –– at least in the 30's when this car was built, and the sort of fare I experienced in the 60s and 70s in England and at high tea in the then Crown Colony of Hong Kong.

In other words, the sort of bland food that made Britain a culinary wasteland before stars like Marco Pierre White, Raymond Blanc and Gordon Ramsay created a revolution that made the country a foodie's paradise. Not to mention the proliferation of superb Indian cuisine, which seems to have taken over the country.

Edited by sjordan2