Model Cars Magazine Forum

how do you find specific aftermarket stuff?

There are so many aftermarket options available to us . I keep a watch out for new and interesting P.E. sets and resin items ,however if I wasn't building or planning a build for some of these items it may not stay in the old memory banks . so how do you go about finding specific items for a build ? a google search doesn't even bring up stuff I know is out there ,the company sites are frequently out of date and the smaller upstart or newer companies are just unknown so how would I find those guys . I only know of some of this stuff because of this board like the corrected 69 mustang nose from a russian company that does mostly airplane stuff . there are too many forums to keep up on all of it so how can you hunt down stuff that you don't even know is out there .

I ask the question on this here forum and a few minutes later someone posts the answer.

Of course there is always the unavoidable smarty pants who tells me I should have used the search, but I simply ignore those.

Edited by Junkman

Research, Google is our friend.

When first contemplating a build do some looking around. See what others have done.

Try to find some reviews on any of the boards pertaining to the subject you are thinking about,

Ask questions on these same boards. This one is a great start. ;)

Randy, whenever I find interesting or pertinent info regarding anything model-related- whether it's a source for specific aftermarket parts, decals, good kits, paint colors, etc.- ANYTHING that I could find useful for a current build or a planned future project- I write that down in an old-skool, white looseleaf binder. Whether I did the detective work to find the info or someone here shared it, it gets written down. Websites, names, engine colors, etc, are all in one place for easy future reference.

Edited by johnbuzzed

I've occasionally asked for specific help finding aftermarket bits for a particular build within my build thread itself. People here have been very helpful, far as pointing me in the right direction.

Understanding how a search engine interprets a query, and rephrasing it, or using different terms, very often allows me to find things on the web that posters have claimed "aren't there". Just now, a search for "1/24 Ferrari photoetch" returned 83,000 hits. Most every hit on the first 14 pages was relevant (that's as far as I looked). Refining the search to a specific Ferrari, and perhaps using the "advanced" search function of google, would be helpful.

The internet is an incredible source of info, but it takes a little digging sometimes. As noted above, bookmarking the address of a site that has what you might need, even if you don't need it today, helps a lot in future searches. Tagging the address with something relevant also helps, like "Ferrari 1/24 aftermarket" ...and alphabetizing your bookmarks...helps to locate the info later.

And if you've already done a competent search and still come up empty, ask here. Lotsa guys know of obscure sources for out-of-production or unusual bits, and nobody gets prickly if you've already put a reasonable effort into finding out for yourself.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There's no such thing as a stupid question sometimes it's hard to remember that there is so much stuff out there and new stuff coming all the time and some people just think they know it all and have to answer with a smart remark they aren't interested in helping anyone they just show their ignorance in helping others sometime they will need help and no one is going to help them and tell them just google it.

Vince

I find lots of info right here on this forum.

Google is cool too.

One thing I haven't found out though is; When did it become mandatory to have blower restraint belts applied on drag cars?

I even Googled it.

But I like asking questions to the guys that post pics of things I like to see on models. They always answer me. Thanks guys!

Michael

One thing I haven't found out though is; When did it become mandatory to have blower restraint belts applied on drag cars?

You probably know the relevant SFI specs are 14.1, 14.2, 14.3.

Search old NHRA general regulations, section 1:10 and 1:11, for the first reference to mandatory blower restraints.

All I can tell you fo' sho' is that it was pre-2008.

If I see something interesting here or in other searching I bookmark the page and then change the name of the bookmark to what is relevant about it and then move it into a folder I created for model car stuff. This works great until your computer dies.

If I see something interesting here or in other searching I bookmark the page and then change the name of the bookmark to what is relevant about it and then move it into a folder I created for model car stuff. This works great until your computer dies.

A great reason to back up your important files on removable media, or a separate drive...a lesson I recently learned the hard way, after almost losing all my data back to 2009.

Being in western Canada it is more difficult to find the aftermarket stuff then to hear about its existence. Boards like this introduce us to the product but getting it is a bigger problem. Our shops don't carry it, not even basic stuff like MCG or Detail Master, ordering from the states can be expensive and very slow and we don't have the big model shows where vendors show up to clean out our willing wallets. Even getting the factory correct paint is nearly impossible since it can't be shipped by air and some of the paint makers won't even ship to Canada. I'll occasionally put in a big order somewhere but it's usually for a wide range of generic items rather then for a specific subject.

The hobby can still be enjoyed whether the modeller has all the extras or not and after nearly 50 years of modelling I'm still enjoying what I can do with what I can get.

I try and use as little words as possible when I google. Like last night I was loking at porsche stuff.

Instead of using "phot etch part for tamiya porsche 962c" I say "photoetch tamiya 962"

Then I go to images and look at the product photos

here is web results with more words: https://www.google.com/search?q=photo+etch+parts+for+tamiya+962c&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Here is iumage results with less words: https://www.google.com/search?q=photoetch+tamiya+962&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ElpeVfjWB8urogSA6YDgDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1440&bih=865

I try and use as little words as possible when I google. Like last night I was loking at porsche stuff.

Instead of using "phot etch part for tamiya porsche 962c" I say "photoetch tamiya 962"

Then I go to images and look at the product photos

Excellent advice, and it works for me.

Keep your search terms to a minimum, and keep them relevant. Less can be more when doing a raw search.

Definitely check the "images". You'll often get different hits than you'll get searching text-only, and most of the images are linked to sites that have more info.

>A word of advice, when you find something buy it soon.

that is about the best advice you could get, believe me, ive learned it more than once.

if you see it and like it, better buy it now rather than risk it won't be available tomorrow, because often it is not available tomorrow. if it becomes apparent you don't need it or you change your mind about it on down the road, you can usually sell it for as much or more than you paid.

jb

Exactly what I do. I use Firefox and back up my bookmarks each month. Never lose more than 4 weeks worth at the most.