Model Cars Magazine Forum

31+ year old Monogram 1969 Z/28 Camaro

mustang1989

I built this kit when I was a youngster (about 14 or so) right around the 1983 time frame. It was my first car model I do remember that. Despite being a beginners build and a rough one at that, it has survived 31 years and is in my display case almost as it was when I built it. The engine is long gone and the passenger seat in the interior is loose but other than that it's all there. A couple of years after I built it I robbed a set of wheels from a "Street Demons" 41 Willys kit that I had just because I couldn't stand the rear wheels that came on it originally. Over the course of the last two days I took a break from my 56 Ford F-100 build(just needed a break!) and took this one out of the case and repaired the suspension so that the body doesn't rest on top of the rear tires any longer, re-adhered the rear bumper and "dolled her up" a little bit for some decent photo shots.

Here's the one that started it all for automotive modeling for me:

RSCN0264_zpscpo4bdzp.jpg

DSCN0260_zpshazuk64n.jpg

DSCN0266_zpseumfg8bj.jpg

DSCN0259_zpsq2e6bs9x.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks fellas!!! Been out for a couple of days camping and haven't been able to respond. I had planned on doing white stripes down the top of the hood, roof line and decklid back then but had too many other builds to get to. You know how it is as a kid. Attention span of a knat!! lol

Ray that's a beautiful Chevelle!! I had several others but they all got destroyed in moves along the way. I've got a couple of other builds but this is the best of the three. The other two, a 66 Dodge Charger and a 74 Cuda from MPC are marginal builds at best.

Thanks Kevin! It did do that. It was hard stopping at just repairing the broken stuff and not going for broke to redo the whole thing but I have other projects right now and after a lot of contemplation .....I decided to leave this one be. Maybe I'll build another Camaro on down the line.

Not bad at all, for what it is. I've built three of those Mono Camaros, each a little better than the last. One of these days I'll have a fit of industry and post pics of them for everyone's comedy entertainment. B)

Thank you Rich! It's funny the stuff we did to these things as not only kids, but newcomers into the hobby. Mix not knowing a whole lot about cars with next to no modeling skills at that time and there was no end to what the outcome would be like. lol