Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any one know anything about this Olds 442 "Super"Funny Car kit from JoHan ?

The Javelin and the AMX (which was also sold in AMT boxes) also came with optional FC chassis (I had them both, but not the 4-4-4). This was a pretty decent representation of a 1st/2nd generation Logghe--MUCH better than MPC's effort of the day. You could build these completely stock and have the entire FC chassis left over, less the engine block/heads and tranny, I think (which would be used for both versions).

I think possibly the last time this excellent chassis was seen was in the 1980s reissues of the '70 4-4-2. I bought two of these as semi-collector kits from Hobby Heaven in the early '90s. Both were unbuilt and had all stock parts, but the FC parts were gone from one of them. I'm still thinking of using that Logghe chassis someday to do Jungle Jim's '69 Nova.

Both of those are 1968 annual kits, with stock and mild custom versions included. '68 was the first year for the Jo-Han Logghe Brothers funny car chassis.

No Javelin kit ever appeared in AMT packaging ('71-up Javelin/AMX did, but not the '68-'70). On the flip-side, no '68-'70 AMX kit was issued in Jo-Han packaging in those years; all were sold by AMT even though they were produced by Jo-Han. (The first two-seater AMX sold by Jo-Han was the first-issue Shirley Shahan drag car, issued in '71.) The '69 and '70 442 were sold by both companies.

The '68-'70 annual kits (442 and Javelin) all included that chassis (the '70 Javelin box is packed!) but the USA Oldies '70 442 did not include it. For '71, Jo-Han issued two annual kits of each car (442, and Javelin/AMX). One of each was funny car only (body with hood molded shut), the other stock or Pro Stock.

The last kit to include the chassis was a brief late-Seventies issue Hornet hatchback funny car (with a '74 body). I agree with Snake, the Jo-Han chassis is the best one out there in 1/25 scale.

A third vote to add to Richard's and Mark's - JoHan's was the best first/second gen Logghe chassis in scale until the fairly recent Revell new tooled chassis of a few years ago. It also served, I was told, as a rough basis for the Polar Lights chassis, although that one was not as well detailed and had some build issues.

It was also included in a circa 1968 JoHan '64 Dodge Funny Car/Super Stock kit and a '64 Plymouth Nascar/Super Stock kit, both derivatives of their earlier annual kits. The funny car chassis was dropped from later issues of these two kits.

TIM

Besides the 442 and Javelin kits, Jo-Han included this chassis in the AMT-boxed AMX kits ('68-'70), Javelin/AMX ('71-'72 only), the one-time-only '64 Plymouth and Dodge kits that Tim mentioned, the '69 and '70 GTX (but not the Roadrunners), '69 Rebel, '70 Rebel Machine, '70 and '71 Maverick, '71 Comet, and '70 through '74 Hornets. Sadly none of the Hornets were ever offered with stock version parts in kit form.

I think possibly the last time this excellent chassis was seen was in the 1980s reissues of the '70 4-4-2.

The '80s 442 reissues I have have the stock parts and some custom bumpers, but no drag parts...those parts probably were never seen again after the '72 annual.

Edited by Rob Hall

The '80s 442 reissues I have have the stock parts and some custom bumpers, but no drag parts...those parts probably were never seen again after the '72 annual.

same with mine.

Stock and custom.

No drag parts .

I do have some of the Johan funnycar chassis though from leftover builtups

Beware. There are two different legnth funny car frames. I picked up some stuff off ebay to use for my 442 and the chassis was too short. It has an AMC motor in it so I'm sure it's for the AMC. I just don't know which one. And it's definately JoHan.

Beware. There are two different legnth funny car frames. I picked up some stuff off ebay to use for my 442 and the chassis was too short. It has an AMC motor in it so I'm sure it's for the AMC. I just don't know which one. And it's definately JoHan.

Since JoHan did them for 4-4-2 (112" wheelbase), Javelin (108") and AMX (even shorter than that), there must have been three frame lengths.

There are several different length chassis side rails: two-seater AMX, Hornet/Javelin/Javelin AMX, Maverick/Comet, 442, Plymouth/Dodge, and AMC Rebel. There are a couple of different setups for attaching the body to the chassis also.