Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage air condition set-up.

Hello.

Is there any kit or aftermarket who offers vintage air-conditon from the 50s and 60s?

I`m fixing a 64 Bonneville and thought it would look neat with air condition.

I could snag the pump from a Monogram 59 Cadillac,but i`m not sure it would be correct?

post-11584-0-42003000-1433773646_thumb.j

post-11584-0-72230200-1433773662_thumb.j

:rolleyes: Hi yes there was 1 or 2 AMT kits from the early to med 60's they were ford kit's 3-in-1 that had the ford dealer add on air. The unit was the typical ford rounded on the sides and had 4 round vents. My 66 Mustang had the dealer add-on I had build a rep of my mustang and got the air unit from the AMT kit. If I remember the kit I will repost if no one can come up with it. I have close to 200 vintage AMT and Johan kits from the 60's I will check them. I know Modelhause makes the one's from the 40's and 50's the one's that would hang on the outside of the window not go under the dash.

Swamp coolers are cool,but i would assume it looks better on 40s and 50s cars,i might be wrong. Ford spesific

set-up also does not feel right,also finding the parts since it`s so vintage will be really hard. Those universal units

i have seen installed in lots of diffrent cars. Not really sure i could pull it off build it my own from scratch.

As a Point of interest and detail . These units you refer to as "add on units" are just that . You only have the capability to re-cycle Air from the interior . This is the same as the MAX Air Setting . Before the advent of "the Universal all you Illiterate Dummies can understand this nomenclature . Example : The picture of a running shower head meaning this is the Headlight Control Switch . Ambient Outside Air is drawn through the Plenum Chamber as is Heater Air . Modern HVAC uses the same methods / chamber for all functions . The Packard Trunk Mounted Units in 1950's , among the other Fine Cars Trunk Units , drew Fresh Air from the trunk itself . Otherwise an add on Vent in the Quarter Panels unique to A/C Equipped Cars . Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

I could snag the pump from a Monogram 59 Cadillac,but i`m not sure it would be correct?

If the compressor on the old Caddy engine is an old-school York-style piston-type, like this, it's correct for many many older add-on and factory air setups from just about everyone (and you might see a V-version of this thing on some big old luxury cars).

york1.jpgyorkcomp01.jpg

GM made the switch to a swashplate compressor, below, around the early '70s (may have been earlier). Jag and Rolls used it too, as did others. It was more efficient at idle.

03comp_gm2.jpg

Compressors have become smaller and smaller since then, and what you see when you open the hood on a late-model car (or something like a Vintage-Air aftermarket install, made for more than 20 years) looks like this...

up46759_L_1b88ed55.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for great infor guys. Not really sure what type of compressor this car has,it does have air-suspension,compressor on the right.

The kit compressor.

1959_cadillac_engine_2.jpg

The 1:1 real deal.

81377_Engine_Web.jpg

If GM changed to swashplate in 63 (As for the Cadillac mentioned above),i would assume it would be the right

for the 64 Bonneville as well. As for the visual they both look similar,so how picky do i need to be lol

Pictures found on google.

Thanks for great infor guys. Not really sure what type of compressor this car has,it does have air-suspension,compressor on the right.

The kit compressor.

1959_cadillac_engine_2.jpg

The 1:1 real deal.

81377_Engine_Web.jpg

If GM changed to swashplate in 63 (As for the Cadillac mentioned above),i would assume it would be the right

for the 64 Bonneville as well. As for the visual they both look similar,so how picky do i need to be lol

Pictures found on google.

Both of those are swashplate compressors.

The compressor in your post #13 picture is a piston-type, mounted on its side (similar to the top photos, post #8).

Here's a '64 Catalina with another piston-type compressor (aftermarket installation, non-factory).

hppp_0711_02_z%2B1964_pontiac_catalina%2

Edited by Ace-Garageguy