Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best paint for aluminum engine blocks

Get some CHROME look spray paint. Now wait... hear me out. Prep your parts and spray the paint. I will usually decant this stuff and use an airbrush as it comes out of the can very heavy. Once it sets up, (give it a day or two) shoot some clear on it. The clear mutes it down and what you end up with is a nice cast or brushed aluminum finish.

Here are before and after pics of some cabinet handles I painted for a bench I built out of an old bathroom cabinet. The first one is the chrome paint and the second is after clearing.

Of course you could always use the Alcad cast or brushed aluminum paint but that's too easy, right?

Mark

post-601-0-82252600-1434383269_thumb.jpg

post-601-0-56776900-1434383295_thumb.jpg

I personally prefer Testors buffing metalizer aluminum, buffed. It's on the blower manifold and the trans here. The "chrome" spray paint in post #2 looks good too, for a slightly different finish. Not all cast-aluminum looks alike, ya know?

DSCN5551.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have not been happy with the various shades of aluminum and silver I have tried painting aluminum engine blocks. What do you use? What is the most realistic?

Thanks

Mike,

If you have an airbrush, Alclad allows you to mix any of their colors together. Have fun and experiment! As Bill said above, cast aluminum can look different depending upon several factors. FYI, for replicating a rough "cast" finish, Alclad CAN be brushed on small areas where you don't need a smooth "chrome" like finish.

David