Model Cars Magazine Forum

35' MERCster Custom

DeeCee

Nice work on the mods and paint! Reading the description of what you started with, I wasn't sure what to expect!

...now that I think of it, why didn't more of the exotic 30s classics get the full 60s Kustom treatment? They would have been much cheaper back then. I guess Fords and Chevies were just more accessible.

*looked again--are the injectors connected to the intake ports at all?

Very cool. Swingin'!

Edited by Spex84

Nice work on the mods and paint! Reading the description of what you started with, I wasn't sure what to expect!

...now that I think of it, why didn't more of the exotic 30s classics get the full 60s Kustom treatment? They would have been much cheaper back then. I guess Fords and Chevies were just more accessible.

*looked again--are the injectors connected to the intake ports at all?

Very cool. Swingin'!

First up, THANKS to all, much appreciated too. :) I am very happy with the outcome,

secondly, Chris, there is a manifold under the injectors, but how accurate,....not very, as this engine originally had the inlet

where the exhaust normally is, and vica versa, so really, the whole engine is sort of made up, but it looks better this way i think. :)

" the whole engine is sort of made up"

Haha, I forgive you. I was mocking up a V16 for a rat rod project a while back, and it looked SO good with a row of carbs atop the engine...but I couldn't figure out a way to realistically hook them up to the intakes on the sides of the block without covering those sweet valve covers.

You're right, it looks way cooler this way!

That's one bad Merc for sure! And that radiator hose! Is it scratch built?

Thanks again guys, Bruce, you know me........ left field as much as possible mate. :)

And Jay, if i ever need custom radiator hoses, i start with some wire that will hold shape, put some heat shrink tube over it, then shape it,

once i am happy, heat the heatshrink up a bit, it forms to the shape, and is real rubber, so looks convincing. ;)

Hi Dale, do you have a name for the paint, or did you mix up some secret concoction? I really like the colors for custom hot rods that go in the direction of burnt tangerine with reddish/brownish notes added. Could you give some insight?

Again, your painting prowess shows! Just magnificent.

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

Hi Dale, do you have a name for the paint, or did you mix up some secret concoction? I really like the colors for custom hot rods that go in the direction of burnt tangerine with reddish/brownish notes added. Could you give some insight?

Michael

Thanks very much guys, and Michael, the paint is a custom mix left over from a 1:1 build mate, no idea what color it is, but i call it Bronzed Orange, but that don't help you match it though. B)

Michael

I'm not much to know what Dale used, he's half ways around the world from me, BUT........... I BET I can tell you a VERY close match to that color he used in the US.....

Testors "Model Masters" Orange Pearl...... I know only because I have a case of them! B)

tes2776.jpg

Item number 2776

Edited by 426-Hemi

It's winter here in Tasmania, i got a very small window of oportunity yesterday, but not much better mate.

MERC%20003_zps1hsiot6k.jpg

MERC%20005_zps0z8ntnbs.jpg

GAWD man that "sunlight" shot brings out the bronze in that orange paint. if that makes any sense..... NICE! NO wonder why I got as much of the Testors version as I do! (I've always loved the dark burnt, or copper, or bronze colored "orange" shades)

LOOKS great man!